PDA

View Full Version : Colt Bolt from Brownells (223 vs 5.56)

gan1hck
10-23-12, 07:28
I ordered a replacement bolt from Brownells manufactured by Colt.

After looking at the order details, I realized that it is marked as a .223 caliber on their website.

I understand that there is a difference between the 5.56 chamber and a .223 chamber, but is there a difference between the bolts????

The bolt is going into a Colt 6940, and I'm wondering if I need to return the bolt.

Sorry if this is a recently asked question, my search did not reveal any answers.

Animal_Mother556
10-23-12, 07:55
The bolt you ordered is fine

Guns-up.50
10-23-12, 07:57
I could be wrong but I thinks Its in reference to the case diameter, colt makes good kit shouldn't be a problem.
the 5.56 and .223 difference is pressures
if in doubt call brownells

markm
10-23-12, 07:58
The bolt is fine. There's ONE SPEC for a Colt Bolt.

gan1hck
10-23-12, 08:03

Thanks guys for all the answers.

Seems like I'm learning something new every single day about these rifles.

gan1hck
10-23-12, 08:10
I could be wrong but I thinks Its in reference to the case diameter, colt makes good kit shouldn't be a problem.

The reason I'm asking here is because Brownells' customer service rep didn't seem to know her product....ie I wasn't confident with her answer.

You guys are the experts here...more so than the customer service rep...IMHO.

Guns-up.50
10-23-12, 08:47
The reason I'm asking here is because Brownells' customer service rep didn't seem to know her product....ie I wasn't confident with her answer.

Some have it, most dont

ralph
10-23-12, 08:50

.223 and 5.56 cases are identical...the difference is in the powder charges, 5.56 being hotter and in the chambers themselves, 5.56 being a little larger to allow dirt, carbon buildup, from extended firing, Firing real 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber, can result in some serious problems, primers being blown out of the case, cases having rims torn off leaving the rest of the case in the chamber..It's not a good thing..

Guns-up.50
10-23-12, 08:50

It would make too much sense to have some one that knows what they were talking about to answer questions

Guns-up.50
10-23-12, 08:55
.223 and 5.56 cases are identical...the difference is in the powder charges, 5.56 being hotter and in the chambers themselves, 5.56 being a little larger to allow dirt, carbon buildup, from extended firing, Firing real 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber, can result in some serious problems, primers being blown out of the case, cases having rims torn off leaving the rest of the case in the chamber..It's not a good thing..

yep

it was what I was getting at without d-railing the thread

amd5007
10-23-12, 09:23
I would return your order, but not for the caliber. There are much better deals on Colt products available. You can get the entire bcg from ratworx for $40 more or even order the bolt from Specialized armament for $60 less.

skullworks
10-23-12, 09:54
.223 and 5.56 cases are identical...the difference is in the powder charges, 5.56 being hotter and in the chambers themselves...
Actually this is incorrect. The exterior dimensions of the brass are the same, but the thickness of the shoulder is not the same (5.56 NATO has a thicker shoulder). You are correct on the majority of difference being in the actual chamber dimensions though. This is a pretty good explanation: http://weaponsman.com/?p=604.

As to the initial question; there are no dimensional differences between the .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO AR-bolts - the difference is in the chamber and throat.

davidjinks
10-23-12, 10:13
This!

Having talked to one of the Colt reps not to long ago I asked this same question. I was told they are the same across the board.

OP

I think it's listed as .223 because its a standard description across the board. Just my speculation though.

3 AE
10-23-12, 13:41
Even though Brownells is a well regarded sponsor here, $170 for a Colt bolt assembly is pretty steep. amd5007 gave some good alternative sources. You might want to consider BCM bolts for $70.

markm
10-23-12, 14:01
Even though Brownells is a well regarded sponsor here, $170 for a Colt bolt assembly is pretty steep. amd5007 gave some good alternative sources. You might want to consider BCM bolts for $70.

That is insanity. $170??

gan1hck
10-23-12, 14:14
That is insanity. $170??

wish I had asked here first before buying.

markm
10-23-12, 14:17
Return it. Brownells has a good return policy. Put the money right back on your CC.

Iraqgunz
10-23-12, 14:54
A complete BCM bolt carrier is only 159.00 and there are a few Colt BCG's on Gunbroker for 175.00.

gan1hck
10-23-12, 14:58
Brownell's seems to be such a good vendor....I wonder why their price on this item is so high?

amd5007
10-23-12, 15:31
Brownell's seems to be such a good vendor....I wonder why their price on this item is so high?

It seems to me that their prices were based on market value from years ago before Colt offered their products through other vendors or via their website. In which case, Brownells was the only retailer selling the majority of Colt items and charging a premium. I guess they never reevaluated their pricing in the current market.

In my own experience, several years ago when I was building more 1911s, Brownells was the only place to source Colt parts at a reasonable price. Now even Midway sells Colt parts.

sinlessorrow
10-23-12, 16:45
That is insanity. $170??

Specialized armament has bolts for $99, $170 for a bolt is insane.

gan1hck
10-23-12, 17:46
It seems to me that their prices were based on market value from years ago before Colt offered their products through other vendors or via their website. In which case, Brownells was the only retailer selling the majority of Colt items and charging a premium. I guess they never reevaluated their pricing in the current market.

In my own experience, several years ago when I was building more 1911s, Brownells was the only place to source Colt parts at a reasonable price. Now even Midway sells Colt parts.

Thank you for your insight.

Brownell's has always been good to me. I've bought so much stuff from them that I pretty much just go there to order any and all firearms related stuff that I didn't even bother shopping around.

I'm going to suck it up this time.

My own fault for not shopping around....I'm going to chalk it up to lessons learned.

remington79
10-24-12, 12:10
I was pricing Colt bolts at Brownells a few months ago and they were cheaper then. The price on them has gone up 30-40 dollars since then. I think it is supply and demand driving the prices.

markm
10-24-12, 12:24
I was pricing Colt bolts at Brownells a few months ago and they were cheaper then. The price on them has gone up 30-40 dollars since then. I think it is supply and demand driving the prices.

They must have seen the idiots gobbling them up last election. I don't blame them.

remington79
10-24-12, 18:59
They must have seen the idiots gobbling them up last election. I don't blame them.

That's what I'm thinking to. The price on the bolt carriers went up to. So far it looks like the price of extractors and soem other small parts has stayed the same.