PDA

View Full Version : Curious...what makes an AR15 a "build?"

darknight
10-23-12, 11:45
I often read about people on here posting pics of their AR15 "builds"....

Does having to put one company brand upper on a different company brand lower constitute "building" a new AR15?

I have a Colt 6920 with the original 6920 upper and lower but have added the following parts. Does this mean I have a new "build?" or merely add-ons?

My AR15

Magpul MIAD Grip with Bolt and Firing Pin grip insert
Troy Industries Rear Folding Backup Sight
Daniel Defense 7” Omega Rail
SureFire G2L flashlight
Blue Force Gear Vickers Padded Sling
Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Reflex Sight
GG&G Flashlight G2 Mount and ring
Tango Down Standard Vertical Grip
GG&G 1271HD Front QD Sling Thing Dovetail Mount
GG&G 1012HD Rear QD Sling Thing
Vortex Flash Eliminator with 10° Pitch and Helical Grooves
Daniel Defense Low Profile Picatinny Rail Covers
Spare Factory Colt Bolt
Tapco T6 Recoil Pad

:confused:

10-23-12, 11:54
That is not a "build."

TMS951
10-23-12, 11:55
A real "build" means you assembled a gun completely. Not modifying a factory gun, and not slapping separate factory uppers and lowers together.

Some people stretch the meaning, and use either a factory upper or lower.

dudshep31
10-23-12, 11:56
Generally, a "build" is acquiring all the parts and assembling the entire gun. To me, it's buying a stripped upper and lower receiver and going from there.

darknight
10-23-12, 12:46
Yeah, I kinda figured a "build" as being a true ground-up experience. I think a lot of guys say they have an AR15 build when all they did was add parts on to a prexisting rifle.

I didn't want to be one of those guys. :cool:

markm
10-23-12, 12:58
It's not truly a build unless you mine the Aluminum Oxide ore, refine it yourself, and forge the receivers yourself.

andrewbolin214
10-23-12, 13:08
It's not truly a build unless you mine the Aluminum Oxide ore, refine it yourself, and forge the receivers yourself.

hahaha, awesome :moil:

3 AE
10-23-12, 13:11
I often read about people on here posting pics of their AR15 "builds"....

Does having to put one company brand upper on a different company brand lower constitute "building" a new AR15?

I have a Colt 6920 with the original 6920 upper and lower but have added the following parts. Does this mean I have a new "build?" or merely add-ons?

My AR15

Magpul MIAD Grip with Bolt and Firing Pin grip insert
Troy Industries Rear Folding Backup Sight
Daniel Defense 7” Omega Rail
SureFire G2L flashlight
Blue Force Gear Vickers Padded Sling
Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Reflex Sight
GG&G Flashlight G2 Mount and ring
Tango Down Standard Vertical Grip
GG&G 1271HD Front QD Sling Thing Dovetail Mount
GG&G 1012HD Rear QD Sling Thing
Vortex Flash Eliminator with 10° Pitch and Helical Grooves
Daniel Defense Low Profile Picatinny Rail Covers
Spare Factory Colt Bolt
Tapco T6 Recoil Pad

:confused:

Nice job with the upgrades. Wait a minute, no Geissele trigger? Shame on you! :D

darknight
10-23-12, 13:20
Nice job with the upgrades. Wait a minute, no Geissele trigger? Shame on you! :D

Thanks for the compliment! Now....

Geissele who? (Guess I got to Google this now) :rolleyes:

:D

ASH556
10-23-12, 14:35
I even hesitate to call a complete upper slapped on an lower that you built up a "build." The parts don't have to all be from different manufacturers, (my rifle is all Daniel Defense) but I literally "built" it from parts (I had already assembled the lower before I took the pic):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8083.jpg

"built" into this:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8102.jpg

Casull
10-23-12, 14:55
I tend to think of it in terms of a car engine. If you throw a different exhaust system on it, it's not a "build" it's an engine that was already built and you modified one thing about it. Modding, Re-building and Building a car engine mean different things. So as relative as "build" gets, it's annoying to hear it everywhere to me for some reason... unless you built it.

3 AE
10-23-12, 15:07
Then there's the "Attach/Push" method of the "Build". You attach the complete upper receiver group to the complete lower receiver group and push in two pins. Voila! :laugh:

jesuvuah
10-23-12, 15:19
I guess for me it is building the Lower. I can never even find it justifiable to build an upper anymore it seems like. I can always seem to find someone who is offering what I am looking for assembled for pennies more then it would cost me to build it.

Suwannee Tim
10-23-12, 18:32
I am bemused by the folks referring to their AR as "this build", "that build", "my build". My first "build" took four hours, maybe four and a half. I can do it in a third of that time now. It's no big deal, the AR is very modular and easy to work on. I have to think to remember which ones I built and which ones I did not. My gates were a "build". I bought some surplus heavy duty gates and posts. Dug footings over a cubic yard each, set the posts and poured concrete. I ran electrical wire, mounted lights, attached wood and painted the whole thing. Took about a month working in the evenings. I could have "built" fifty ARs in that time. Can't find the pictures. Here's a photo of one of my reloading benches I built. Took quite a bit of work and no one coaching me. I don't brag about it.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/P1020767_zps9f7df97f.jpg

I will brag about that group though. Five shots, offhand at 200 yards with a 458 Winchester magnum. Four and a half inches. No, I am not claiming I can do it at will. Sometimes even a blind hog gets an acorn.

Found a pic of one of the gateposts:

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/IMG_2300.jpg

That gatepost is actually three pieces of pipe arranged coaxially, over ten feet long with a flange on the bottom. It weighs about three hundred fifty pounds.

firepolock
10-23-12, 20:34
I am bemused by the folks referring to their AR as "this build", "that build", "my build". My first "build" took four hours, maybe four and a half. I can do it in a third of that time now. It's no big deal, the AR is very modular and easy to work on. I have to think to remember which ones I built and which ones I did not. My gates were a "build". I bought some surplus heavy duty gates and posts. Dug footings over a cubic yard each, set the posts and poured concrete. I ran electrical wire, mounted lights, attached wood and painted the whole thing. Took about a month working in the evenings. I could have "built" fifty ARs in that time. Can't find the pictures. Here's a photo of one of my reloading benches I built. Took quite a bit of work and no one coaching me. I don't brag about it.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/P1020767_zps9f7df97f.jpg

I will brag about that group though. Five shots, offhand at 200 yards with a 458 Winchester magnum. Four and a half inches. No, I am not claiming I can do it at will. Sometimes even a blind hog gets an acorn.

Found a pic of one of the gateposts:

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/IMG_2300.jpg

That gatepost is actually three pieces of pipe arranged coaxially, over ten feet long with a flange on the bottom. It weighs about three hundred fifty pounds.

More skill in those builds then any AR build.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

SigSlave
10-23-12, 21:28
No matter how you buy your parts, either as a preassbled assembly or individual parts, you are assembling the gun. Rarely do you have to fit or modify parts. You don't build an AR, you assemble one.

I have assembled countless AR 15 rifles. The ones that I assembled 100 percent were not any more difficult than the ones I bought a pre assembled upper and seperate lower that I assembled from a parts kit and a stripped lower.

The term build or assemble, when talking about AR's, is semantics.

Swstock
10-23-12, 22:01
No matter how you buy your parts, either as a preassbled assembly or individual parts, you are assembling the gun. Rarely do you have to fit or modify parts. You don't build an AR, you assemble one.

I have assembled countless AR 15 rifles. The ones that I assembled 100 percent were not any more difficult than the ones I bought a pre assembled upper and seperate lower that I assembled from a parts kit and a stripped lower.

The term build or assemble, when talking about AR's, is semantics.

Thanks for typing that out for me.

Unless your machining products or doing real one off stuff, then "you didnt build that" you assembled it with help from others. :)

SigSlave
10-24-12, 04:27
Thanks for typing that out for me.

Unless your machining products or doing real one off stuff, then "you didnt build that" you assembled it with help from others. :)

I almost typed the Obama reference too.

TMS951
10-24-12, 08:31
We know building an AR is easy. Thats not really what the build is all about, a build is about the parts chosen and why, and how they go together to meet their intended purpose.

maximus83
10-24-12, 09:15
It boils down to degrees of customization vs "build from scratch." Obviously if you assemble/replace everything on a lower and an upper, except that you use a prebuilt BCM barrel assembly on the upper, you're getting close to a "build." Somebody who slaps a pistol grip on their preassembled lower, then puts on a preassembled upper, and calls it a "build," is obviously going to earn the ire of folks who really "build" AR's down to the last pin and spring.

I usually don't split hairs over the distinction, it isn't that meaningful. When most people say "my new build", I assume they mean "my new somewhat-customized rifle."

Texas42
10-24-12, 10:06
I put nail polish on the front sight of my RIA 1911. I now have a custom 1911. . . . yay

:rolleyes:

SigSlave
10-24-12, 10:28
We know building an AR is easy. Thats not really what the build is all about, a build is about the parts chosen and why, and how they go together to meet their intended purpose.

I think this was in response to my post, if not, I apologize.

What if the pre assembled upper has everything you want for your intended purpose? Why waste time throwing a barrel, sight post, delt ring, gas tube, port cover and forward assist assembly together when say Daniel Defense offers what you want already assembled?

That's the route I went. I bought a midlength DD upper assembly, threw a BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle on a stripped Aero lower with the ALG LPK that Brownells offers. I upgraded to an SSA a month later. Is that a build? I could have easily assembled the upper myself, but why when it comes as an assembly.

The thing is, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Nobody builds AR 15's unless your company's name is engraved on the receiver. Even that is up for debate.

Honorthecall81
10-24-12, 11:25

Thats awesome. I totally agree. What people consider an AR
build just isnt. More like an AR "assembly" . Unless your
forging.. your not building. :nono:

VIP3R 237
10-24-12, 11:37
I almost typed the Obama reference too.

I couldnt resist.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/ndMSi.jpg

CLJ94104
10-24-12, 13:33

I hate doing +1 comments but this deserves it. Lmaooo

Suwannee Tim
10-24-12, 17:25

I'll buy half of this. I know some folks spend a lot of time researching and choosing the part that most closely meets their requirements. I respect that though it's not my cup of tea. I think there are however folks who think they have really accomplished a difficult task in assembling an AR. I can understand it, never much done anything with their hands, never assembled a firearm, they are going to be proud. I would hope though as they gain some experience they will come to understand it is not that big a deal and not boast so much. I like to apply the wisdom of the football coach who's name I can't remember, maybe never knew who said "When you score a touchdown, don't act like it's the first one you ever made. Act like you do it all the time." Of course if it is the first on you ever made I suppose you can be excused for acting like it is the first one you ever made.

Merle
10-24-12, 20:07
I've always tried to avoid using the word "build" when talking bout AR's I've put together because, like some of you have already posted, assembling an AR isn't really building anything. If you aren't reaming a chamber, threading a barrel or machining anything you shouldn't be calling yourself a "Gunsmith" either. An AR assembler is no more of a gunsmith than the guy at Jiffy Lube changing your oil is a mechanic. I never could understand why someone would spend $400 on taking an AR-15 Armorer Course when you can watch YouTube and put one together yourself. No rocket science to it what-so-ever.

Toyoland66
10-24-12, 20:50
This post has nothing to do with the definition of a custom build - but, I would much rather see a list of mods to a stock rifle with detailed explanations of why each was chosen, intended usage and compromises made, pros/ cons, and an aar from actually shooting it. I think that a thread like that is more fitting with the theme of this site, regardless of whether the gun was built from scratch or not. Too many of the "custom build" threads are nothing more than a list of parts and a picture of the rifle on someone's dining room floor

TehLlama
10-24-12, 21:08

That's true purist talk right there.

For most, the sensible line is something that requires a tool in order to accomplish being built as opposed to 'I stuck the two halves together'. That's where I decide, at a minimum.

Anything where you've replaced modular parts that require not tools obviously doesn't count, and drop-in part replacement obviously doesn't either.

Again, it shouldn't matter how much of the rifle came in what form, toyo hit the nail on the head that the key part of the USEFUL threads are the detailed explanations of chosen parts for an intended purpose.

digitalpaladin
10-24-12, 21:17
I always say "assemble" not "build". I turned this..

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/rw31b.jpg

..into this..

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/cnjxp.jpg

.. in about 2 hours with breaks. My cut barreled Romanian RPK kit with 80% blank is a whole other story.

MistWolf
10-25-12, 02:04
I've always tried to avoid using the word "build" when talking bout AR's I've put together because, like some of you have already posted, assembling an AR isn't really building anything. If you aren't reaming a chamber, threading a barrel or machining anything you shouldn't be calling yourself a "Gunsmith" either. An AR assembler is no more of a gunsmith than the guy at Jiffy Lube changing your oil is a mechanic. I never could understand why someone would spend $400 on taking an AR-15 Armorer Course when you can watch YouTube and put one together yourself. No rocket science to it what-so-ever.

The devil is in the details. Too many guys don't know how much to torque a barrel nut or how it being slightly mis-aligned can cause the gas tube to rub the gas key. Folks are always installing FCG springs incorrectly. Some don't know what to do when the safety doesn't match the FCG. Some guys think a canted FSB is from over torquing the barrel nut. There are still experts who think the gaps in the piston rings need to be staggered. Believe me, there is more to consistently assembling ARs correctly than just spinning on a new filter, topping off the oil and inflating the tires to 35 psi

M4Fundi
10-25-12, 03:16
I have done every single piece on an AR including the A2 Rearsight..... but I have never done a dustcover... I am not a true BUILDER yet :(

I guess I will have to buy parts for another complete rifle to remedy my lack of knowledge and Posernish:cool:

madcratebuilder
10-25-12, 10:05
If your assembly involves you using a mill or lathe then it's a build.

wahoo95
10-25-12, 10:38
Build - Construct (something, typically something large) by "putting parts or material together" over a period of time.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ms-android-verizon&tbo=d&source=android-launcher-widget&v=133247963&q=build+definition&revid=1155853796&sa=X&ei=hVyJUJ-3LefV0gGG-4HICg&ved=0CHkQ1QIoAQ&biw=569&bih=295

DeltaSierra
10-25-12, 10:40
If your assembly involves you using a mill or lathe then it's a build.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner...

wahoo95
10-25-12, 10:45
Building and Assembling are the same by definition.

DeltaSierra
10-25-12, 10:48
Building and Assembling are the same by definition.

Maybe so, maybe not...

The use of the term "build" in conjunction with an AR assembly irks me - you didn't "build" anything....

Maybe that comes from my experience building things from scratch - buildings, equipment, etc....

markm
10-25-12, 10:53
This is the dumbest debate ever.

wahoo95
10-25-12, 10:55
Maybe so, maybe not...

The use of the term "build" in conjunction with an AR assembly irks me - you didn't "build" anything....

Maybe that comes from my experience building things from scratch - buildings, equipment, etc....

Most buildings and equipment are assembled from pre made parts....don't confuse making and creating with building and assembly. Sounds like your are thinking more of constructing which is a bit of a cross between the two(building & making).

wahoo95
10-25-12, 11:03

No doubt...hence the reason I wondered how its gone for 2 pages.

markm
10-25-12, 11:07
No doubt...hence the reason I wondered how its gone for 2 pages.

The mods lock legit threads all the time. :blink:

BCmJUnKie
10-25-12, 11:19
Voila!!

build   /bɪld/ Show Spelled Show IPA verb, built or ( Archaic ) build·ed; build·ing; noun
verb (used with object)
1. [B]to construct (especially something complex) by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.
2. to establish, increase, or strengthen (often followed by up ): to build a business; to build up one's hopes.

While I agree that the AR is a simple thing to assemble especially when ordering parts from the internet and tightening a few allens..... I cant really see how it could be a "Build"

Its just easier to title a thread, "New AR Build" over
" New AR pieces"

I think "Building" something has something to do with using a grinder and a hammer.

:lol:

Plato
10-25-12, 13:18
No form of AR is a build because nobody here built them. Others made this happen...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/26/3ydeze4e.jpg

Suwannee Tim
10-25-12, 20:02
t..... but I have never done a dustcover.....

I thought it was called the mudflap.

SigSlave
10-26-12, 08:10

Yup, discussing 2 words that mean the same thing is a waste of time. Build, assemble, who cares?

markm
10-26-12, 08:13
I'm moving this thread to ARFcom where it belongs! :blink:

DeltaSierra
10-26-12, 15:12
Yup, discussing 2 words that mean the same thing is a waste of time. Build, assemble, who cares?

Building something, does NOT mean the same as assembling something.

I've built a lot of buildings - I didn't assemble them.

I've assembled a lot of things as well, but I didn't build them.

There is a difference....

SigSlave
10-26-12, 17:04
Building something, does NOT mean the same as assembling something.

I've built a lot of buildings - I didn't assemble them.

I've assembled a lot of things as well, but I didn't build them.

There is a difference....

The context of what the discussion is about dictates the difference but the words mean basically the same thing. When talking about AR's that we put together, you assemble them or build them, take your pick. Who cares? I prefer the word assemble because it takes no skill and a few tools. Again, semantics.

If talking about kitchen cabinets, you assemble IKEA. You build custom cabinets out of wood you cut yourself into the shape you want and nail, glue and screw the pieces together. This takes talent.

AR15's are the IKEA of firearms. Hopefully we can beat this topic into a 4th page.

darknight
10-26-12, 19:08
You guys have made some good points as to what is a "build" and what is simply assembling or adding mods.

I didn't "build"my AR in the eyes of the pros, but maybe just to me and my abilities I "built" it to my liking. (if that makes any sense)

3 AE
10-26-12, 20:03
The Moderators and Staff must be laughing so hard at the length and content of this thread that they can't even hit the "Closed" button! :lol:

SigSlave
10-26-12, 20:08
This thread should be stickied to serve as a reminder to us to not bicker over pointless bullshit and let small things that bother us slightly go because it isn't worth it.

jet66
10-26-12, 21:02
I'm all about building/assembling totally from parts, but I don't necessarily see the point of pride in building something if you can purchase the same thing already assembled for the same/similar price. My first 'build' turned in to putting a complete upper on a lower I assembled, but am I feeling less than manly? Heck no. I was able to get a lightly used assembled BCM upper w/14.5" bbl + pinned FH and DD RISII M4A1 rail for $600 shipped. (That was what I intended to assemble in the first place.) I'd have a hard time beating that price buying the same parts piecemeal.

I can comfortably and confidently break an AR down to pieces (excluding removing the bbl extension) and reassemble it, so unless I come up with a (practical) combo that just has never been done before, I'm at best just re-inventing the wheel by doing 'a build.' So I don't think less of someone that mods a 'complete' gun to better suit their needs vs. doing a custom build. If you are replacing some pretty expensive parts (rails, for example) with other pretty expensive parts, there may be a little 'loss of equity,' and that is where doing your own 'custom build' might be a better idea if you know exactly what you want. Of course if you can sell the take-off parts for a good price, that factor is mitigated, IMO.

Fidalgoman
10-26-12, 23:19
We know building an AR is easy. Thats not really what the build is all about, a build is about the parts chosen and why, and how they go together to meet their intended purpose.Agree completely. IMHO what we refer to as "a build" is very similar to "a loadout". Example, a specific assembly of parts to meet a certain mission.

Sticks
10-27-12, 05:18
It seems that quite a few take exception to the term "Build", then mayhap we should request that the forum section on that topic either get renamed (to what I have no idea) or removed. That forum section already has pretty strict guidelines about what you can and cannot post, and still has a high fire danger (READ - risk of getting flamed) for the poster.

Even calling something a "Custom" is rather redundant, since you can just about get an AR spec'd out to your choice of everything straight from the manufacturer...I mean retailer.

Maybe - "Hey, look what I ruined"

I'm waiting on my barrel for my second [insert term here] and the only complete part is the upper receiver - not a whole lot more skill in assembling a FA and dust cover, and I don't know that Vltor sells stripped MUR uppers. I'm hesitant to even post it over there when it's done.

Airhasz
10-27-12, 13:14
I'm moving this thread to ARFcom where it belongs! :blink:

Nobody here brings up TOS more than you...putting down others makes little people like you feel important...what an Ass Clown

PortDawg
10-27-12, 16:58
I am on my 3rd build. In fact, as I was working on my build today, a friend and longtime gunsmith stopped by and asked me, "what are you buildin'?".
I have built many race cars. From National Ranked UMP open wheel mods, to 4 complete World of Outlaws Late models. I did NOT manufacture any of them, I built them. I did, however, design and manufacture various parts for those cars. Complete, total difference.
I did not design or manufacture any parts on my 3 AR15s.
I did research and pick which parts I wanted.
Then I built those parts into a complete rifle.
Manufacture and build, are two different things.
Those that split hairs, and claim that it is not a build unless you "manufacture" the parts are :confused:.

DeltaSierra
10-27-12, 17:49
Reading comprehension - it is important.

Last time I checked, the discussion was about the difference between assembling and building. Nothing was said about manufacturing, until you brought that up...

darknight
10-27-12, 19:28
I like the way of saying "I newly assembled my Ar15" or "I customized my AR"

But I just can't say I "built" my AR. Saying that is a disservice to all those that really take the time, money, and effort to really work on an AR from the ground up.

PortDawg
10-27-12, 19:28
Reading comprehension - it is important.

Last time I checked, the discussion was about the difference between assembling and building. Nothing was said about manufacturing, until you brought that up...

Seems like you have a lack of simple understanding. As others have pointed out, "assembling" and "building" are virtualy interchangeable. The true difference is between "manufacturing" and "building/assembling".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/
"We assembled together Thursday night to build (construct) two AR15 rifles to sell at the upcoming gunshow." It would even be correct to say, "We assembled together Thursday night to assemble (build) two AR15 rifles to sell at the upcoming gunshow."
Reading comprehension- it is important.

Inkslinger
10-27-12, 21:43
I think some people just like to tell other people they "Build" AR's. Makes them sound badass. I usually refer to them as something I've put together.

darknight
10-27-12, 23:02
I think some people just like to tell other people they "Build" AR's. Makes them sound badass. I usually refer to them as something I've put together.

I actually agree with the above comment. I think a lot of the issue is ego. I customize my AR. I don't build it. It is and was already built. I just pretty her up.

I'll say it...I do not know how to build an AR15, I have very limited experience with the platform, I'm not interested in building one, I customize it simply to look tacticool to my eyes and I'm quite happy to only own one, so I'll never buy another one. (And I'm not afraid to admit these truths)

:cool:

Suwannee Tim
10-28-12, 09:09
It's all a matter of semantics. The overuse of the word "build" annoyed me but I got over it. Another word that annoys me is "shaving" as in shaving the front sight off a gas block. When you remove that much material you are chopping not shaving. Another is "timing" as in "timing a flash hider". Flash hiders do not move like the hands of a clock, in fact, they do not move at all with respect to the barrel. The correct word is "indexed" or "set".

lunchbox
10-28-12, 12:20
Well, this might help some with their next build :dirol: http://www.lecreg.com/P4x4/ARblank.pdf

Suwannee Tim
10-28-12, 20:07
I don't have statistics to prove this, just an observation on my part and a small sample size but I have observed that many of the folks who boast of their "build(s)" shoot a couple of magazines off the bench then call it a day at the range. Many of these same folks have every accessory known to man attached. For me a couple of magazines and I'm just getting loosened up. My guns are really, really basic. N'utn fancy, few accessories, an optic, sights and a sling which may or may not be attached.

DeltaSierra
10-28-12, 20:20
I don't have statistics to prove this, just an observation on my part and a small sample size but I have observed that many of the folks who boast of their "build(s)" shoot a couple of magazines off the bench then call it a day at the range.

I think you are onto something.

M4Fundi
10-28-12, 20:25
Wow, this thread has gone 4 pages and its not even rudely funny:rolleyes: This seems like the kinda thread where those with a ruthlessly rapier wit would be justified and actually encouraged to show off their skills;)

darknight
10-28-12, 21:12
It's important to remember that a "build" in the world of rifles is far from a Lego blocks "build"

Skill, money, effort and a superior understanding of the platform in my mind constitutes a "build."

More than being creative; the AR insists upon all of these factors to be a "true build."

Delta_co
11-22-12, 13:07
I even hesitate to call a complete upper slapped on an lower that you built up a "build." The parts don't have to all be from different manufacturers, (my rifle is all Daniel Defense) but I literally "built" it from parts (I had already assembled the lower before I took the pic):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8083.jpg

"built" into this:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8102.jpg

Perfect example of a nice build.

akioty10
11-22-12, 14:24
I call it assembling, but that's because I'm a engineer and do actually build stuff at work. To me a build is when I machine most of it and sometimes I design it as well.

Really though it don't matter. assemble, build...same thing.

JoeSixPack
11-22-12, 20:21
I would define a "build" as starting with an off the shelf rifle and adding / replacing parts to suit your needs or building a rifle completely from scratch.

I have a Colt LE6920 that has been heavily modified.

The stock trigger was replaced with a Geiselle trigger
The stock trigger guard was replaced with a Magpul trigger guard
The stock stock was replaced with a LMT SOPMOD
The stock pistol grip was replaced with a Hogue
The stock handguards were replaced with a Samson Star-C free float rail.
The stock extractor springs were replaced with 5 coil cryo springs
The stock charging handle was replaced with a BCM Gunfighter Mod5
The stock flash suppressor was replaced with a Smith Vortex
The stock side mount front sling swivel was removed
The rear sight / carry handle was removed and replaced with a Larue BUIS

Does this constitute a "build"? I would say so.

ScottieG59
11-22-12, 20:51
Really, there is no real problem saying you built something when it is essentially an assembly of parts. It's like when some people say the built a computer, which is also an assembly of parts.

In many industries, the final builder that puts their name on something is actually an assembler.

It is no big deal. The issue is why someone would want to build or assemble their AR.

For me, it comes down to choices and the ability to get into the project in stages. This is especially important when you do not or can not lay out a lot of money all at once.

Additionally, the process is simplified in that the only item going through the FFL is the bare lower receiver. Once you have that, you just get the parts as your budget or time allows.

Personally, I am less interested in building the uppers, but plenty of others do so.

Just be aware of what you are getting into and what can go wrong. You should make sure you have the correct tools and apply them correctly.

Sticks
11-23-12, 04:33
I would define a "build" as starting with an off the shelf rifle and adding / replacing parts to suit your needs or building a rifle completely from scratch.

I have a Colt LE6920 that has been heavily modified.

The stock trigger was replaced with a Geiselle trigger
The stock trigger guard was replaced with a Magpul trigger guard
The stock stock was replaced with a LMT SOPMOD
The stock pistol grip was replaced with a Hogue
The stock handguards were replaced with a Samson Star-C free float rail.
The stock extractor springs were replaced with 5 coil cryo springs
The stock charging handle was replaced with a BCM Gunfighter Mod5
The stock flash suppressor was replaced with a Smith Vortex
The stock side mount front sling swivel was removed
The rear sight / carry handle was removed and replaced with a Larue BUIS

Does this constitute a "build"? I would say so.

That is what I would call "BOMBd" - Better Off Modified Baby

markm
11-23-12, 09:02
Perfect example of a nice build.

Must be for a small woman or child.... with that sissy barrel and all. :D

BrigandTwoFour
11-23-12, 12:13
I usually call what I do "assembling." But either way, a "build" to me is when you have a vision of what you want in purpose and form and then assemble the necessary parts to "build" that vision into reality.

I don't care if it's taking a stock 6920 and modifying/customizing to your needs or ordering every part individually.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-23-12, 12:49
I usually call what I do "assembling." But either way, a "build" to me is when you have a vision of what you want in purpose and form and then assemble the necessary parts to "build" that vision into reality.

That is exactly how I'm going about my first build/assembly. Everything I want/need, nothing I don't.

Sticks
11-24-12, 18:44
Before

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uN32pyY6wAQ/UJeGnlRNzpI/AAAAAAAABjw/gDoWd2yA8g0/s1280/102_0767.jpg

After

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3dKPxxDw0WA/UJeGqC8uZGI/AAAAAAAABj4/OZ78aBmCZto/s1440/102_0770.jpg

Build, assembly, what's done is done.

Inkslinger
11-24-12, 18:58
Before

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uN32pyY6wAQ/UJeGnlRNzpI/AAAAAAAABjw/gDoWd2yA8g0/s1280/102_0767.jpg

After

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3dKPxxDw0WA/UJeGqC8uZGI/AAAAAAAABj4/OZ78aBmCZto/s1440/102_0770.jpg

Build, assembly, what's done is done.

WRONG! Your dust cover was all ready on! :p

munch520
11-24-12, 18:58
Maybe - "Hey, look what I ruined".

Awesome :laugh:

samuse
11-24-12, 21:20
Skill, money, effort and a superior understanding of the platform in my mind constitutes a "build."

BCM and Colt built my build.

I apply Krylon and jerk the trigger.:jester: