PDA

View Full Version : Apple press event today

caporider
10-23-12, 13:18
Can anyone guess what time the Apple press event ended today? :p

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/aapl.png

I own tons of Apple products and have been in and out of AAPL for years, but it just isn't the same without Steve around to run these events.

Alex V
10-23-12, 13:24
not sure why the market would react that way... I doubt the iPad mini will bankrupt Apple lol

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 13:31
Can't believe how bad the mini is. The Nexus 7 beats the shit out of it.

chadbag
10-23-12, 14:47
Can't believe how bad the mini is. The Nexus 7 beats the shit out of it.

Really? Care to provide some details?

iPad mini is the same heigh height, 14mm wider, but over 3mm thinner, and 32grams lighter, and almost an inch more on the diagonal screen.

Has a 5MP camera on the back. Nexus has none.

And since it is running iOS, it probably will be more efficient. It should benchmark about the same as the iPad 2, and if you look at Nexus 7 vs iPad 2 benchmarks, the Nexus wins some, and the iPad wins some. So they benchmark about the same.

So, for $80 you get a back camera at 5mp, and thinner and lighter and bigger screen, though a little less dense.

That is not "beating the sh*t out of it." Nexus is a nice tablet if you want to be a slave to Google. iPad mini is a nice tablet for those who put their eggs in the Apple basket (are a slave to Apple if you insist).

I'll be ordering an iPad mini. Just not sure of sooner or later.

I may also order a Nexus 7 if I get on another project that is both iOS and Android. For an Android device, it is a nice device.

--

chadbag
10-23-12, 14:51
Can anyone guess what time the Apple press event ended today? :p

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/aapl.png

I own tons of Apple products and have been in and out of AAPL for years, but it just isn't the same without Steve around to run these events.

If you are playing the stock market, this is a perfect opportunity to buy AAPL. When a complete quarter of iPhone 5 sales is reported, along with the 10mil iPad mini Apple is expected to sell, plus all the new iPad (3rd and 4th Gen) they will sell over the holidays, they will shoot up. Plus the new Macbook Pro Retina 13 and the new iMac will sell a bunch over the holidays. They usually drop after an announcement because of "disappointment", but when the results come in, we see a different story.

I own no AAPL (wish I still had the 50 or 100 shares I bought around 2003 or 2004 for $20 that have split at least once since). And am not in the stock market now.

---

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 15:39
Really? Care to provide some details?

When the Nexus 7 32 GB releases Monday for $250 (open secret like the iPad mini release today), you will be able to choose from the below:

-iPad mini, 7.85 screen 1024x768 162 ppi, 16 gb, $330

-Nexus 7, 7" screen, 1280x800 240 ppi, 32 gb, $250

I guess one could quibble over the admittedly inferior camera on the Nexus 7 but who cares? Same as quibbling over ounces and millimeters. Right now, Google selling these at cost makes the Nexus 7 the clear choice for those of us that aren't irrevocably wed/"enslaved" to the Apple ecosystem. For $80 less, you get twice the storage and a markedly better screen. I bought my wife a Nexus 7 two months ago and she jumped from an iPad 2 to the Nexus with no problems. Android 4.1 is fast, smooth, and stable.

I'm typing this from my iPad 1. I'm all about the right tool for the job. Also, there is already a one click root procedure for the Nexus already available. That means I can root the Nexus 7, buy a $7 cable from Amazon, and have USB mass storage for my Nexus. Movies, music, etc. Local storage is verboten on Apple mobile devices.

Moose-Knuckle
10-23-12, 15:59
Why does Apple's product releases remind of Colt's? :lazy2:

chadbag
10-23-12, 16:11
When the Nexus 7 32 GB releases Monday for $250 (open secret like the iPad mini release today), you will be able to choose from the below:

-iPad mini, 7.85 screen 1024x768 162 ppi, 16 gb, $330

The iPad mini aspect ratio is much better for most anything but watching video. Documents, web pages, etc are better viewed at the iPad aspect ratio. In Landscape, you see much more of a web page (vertically) on the iPad mini than you do on the typical Android 7" tablet.

The Nexus does have a more dense screen, that is true.

I guess one could quibble over the admittedly inferior camera on the Nexus 7 but who cares?

Total LACK of a camera, you mean. The Nexus 7 does not have a rear camera (the front cameras on both are about 1.2MP and about equal). The iPad mini has a 5MP rear camera. So it is a multi use device.

Same as quibbling over ounces and millimeters.

Those ounces and millimeters make a big deal when you sit and hold the device and use it to read, watch video, etc.

The criticism of the iPad originally (compared to a Kindle, for example), was while it was only a pound and a half, it was still fatiguing over the long haul of holding it for a while. I have both the original iPad (1) and the new iPad (3rd gen, the one that was announced this spring). It does get heavy. With the smaller ones, the same applies. Heavier is fatiguing when you are holding it to read for a long while.

Right now, Google selling these at cost makes the Nexus 7 the clear choice for those of us that aren't irrevocably wed/"enslaved" to the Apple ecosystem. For $80 less, you get twice the storage and a markedly better screen.

A smaller, more dense [good], less ideal aspect ratio screen. (Less ideal for everything except 16:9 movies), in a heavier form factor.

And, if you use any of the Google software, you are enslaved to the Google system. Choose your master. In either case you are enslaved to an ecosystem -- either Android or iOS, and if you use the Google apps at all, you are in their system.

Why do you think they sell it at cost? Because to them, your personal data is more valuable.

I bought my wife a Nexus 7 two months ago and she jumped from an iPad 2 to the Nexus with no problems. Android 4.1 is fast, smooth, and stable.

I am glad she likes it. The Nexus is a nice device for those people committed to Android

I'm typing this from my iPad 1. I'm all about the right tool for the job. Also, there is already a one click root procedure for the Nexus already available. That means I can root the Nexus 7, buy a $7 cable from Amazon, and have USB mass storage for my Nexus. Movies, music, etc. Local storage is verboten on Apple mobile devices.

what does "Local storage is verboten on Apple mobile devices" mean? Do you mean hooking up external local storage? Or using the device as local USB storage? Just wondering. Apple stresses using wireless to share from your computer or to your computer (airplay etc). I have not played much with that. Different focus.

The Nexus also has no option for cellular data. iPad mini will be available (at extra cost of course), with a cellular connection.

Both have their strengths and minuses. But the Nexus does not "beat the sh*t" out of the mini.

Whatever tool you find best is what you should use.

--

VooDoo6Actual
10-23-12, 16:36
Why does Apple's product releases remind of Colt's? :lazy2:

Tongue in cheek,

Could it be because they are plaguerising their business model ? nah....

Palmguy
10-23-12, 16:44
"The Nexus also has no option for cellular data."

The rumors I've seen for the N7 announcement next week are that there will be a cellular radio option. I personally have no need for it and the additional associated costs when my phone has native wifi tethering, but it will be an option.

I will probably upgrade to the 32gig N7 when it is available and hand the 16gig down to my wife.

I think Apple will be successful with their device; I've found that I prefer to use the N7 to my Xoom (10" tablet) for general use. 7" is a pretty convenient size for carrying around.

FWIW, the only time I use mine in landscape is for watching video. All other times I tend to use portrait.

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 16:47
I can't believe we're quibbling over weight on 7" tablets......

I guess the camera argument is valid, I've just never met someone that would rather have a camera on a tablet versus $80 saved and DOUBLE the storage.

I was referring to local storage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chadbag
10-23-12, 16:56
I can't believe we're quibbling over weight on 7" tablets......

No different than quibbling about weight on a rifle or other piece of gear. Weight matters when you are carrying/holding something for a long bit of time. Comfort matters with your tools.

I guess the camera argument is valid, I've just never met someone that would rather have a camera on a tablet versus $80 saved and DOUBLE the storage.

the differences or more than just the camera.

FWIW, I have seen a lot of people using their iPad as a camera. And I am talking the full size iPad. My son swims on a team and I have seen people using iPads (not iPhone or anything, full 9.7" screen iPads) several times to film their kids or their teams kids swimming. As an example.

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess we'll see which device the market likes better after Christmas is over. ;)

I was referring to local storage.

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 17:03
.68lb for the mini versus .75 lb for the nexus. We can probably drop the weight argument.

I'm certain that the mini will sell well.

chadbag
10-23-12, 17:04
"The Nexus also has no option for cellular data."

The rumors I've seen for the N7 announcement next week are that there will be a cellular radio option. I personally have no need for it and the additional associated costs when my phone has native wifi tethering, but it will be an option.

That will be good. Choice is always good.

I will probably order the iPad mini this Friday (I need an iPad with rear camera, that has a non-Retina screen on a project I am currently working on. My iPad 1 does not have the camera and the 3rd gen iPad has a retina screen...) I will get the base model, 16gb Wifi only. My other two iPads have cellular in them, though I don't have it activated [I bought cellular version on purpose without the intent to keep activated]. I have it on that one device [new iPad] in case I need it in an emergency to reach servers I am responsible for, while out of the office. That is enough...

I will probably upgrade to the 32gig N7 when it is available and hand the 16gig down to my wife.

Aren't wives great? We get an excuse to buy new electronic toys, because they want one too so we hand it down ;)

I think Apple will be successful with their device; I've found that I prefer to use the N7 to my Xoom (10" tablet) for general use. 7" is a pretty convenient size for carrying around.

FWIW, the only time I use mine in landscape is for watching video. All other times I tend to use portrait.

Just UX (user experience wise), the 16x9 tablets in portrait seem awkward to a lot of people, and, despite protestations, is one of the main reasons Apple went 4:3 on the iPad screen. Just FWIW...

Enjoy the Nexus 32gb version. The Nexus is a nice device for Android users.

-

chadbag
10-23-12, 17:11
.68lb for the mini versus .75 lb for the nexus. We can probably drop the weight argument.

I'm certain that the mini will sell well.

An ounce and a third. For a device that size, that is pretty significant. 10% difference.

Now, is that enough to convince someone who really prefers Android to get an iPad mini? Probably not.

I hope someone in my area gets the Nexus (I have seen a few 7" tablets at church, for example, but not the Nexus). I'd like to physically compare.

I am certain both will sell well. I am interested to see how Google does against the new Kindle HD devices.

from earlier:

Actually, by most accounts I have read, that is 216ppi, not 240ppi, so midway in density between an iPad mini and the iPad retina [full size].

--

Palmguy
10-23-12, 17:41
I hope someone in my area gets the Nexus (I have seen a few 7" tablets at church, for example, but not the Nexus). I'd like to physically compare.

You know, 7" is small enough that I no longer have a slight sense of self-consciousness about using a tablet in church, as I would with a 10" tablet. It now serves as my Bible and notepad in the service.

Surprised to see a mid cycle update to the iPad. From the comments section on the Gizmodo article I was reading, there are a lot of pissed off iPad 3 owners...

chadbag
10-23-12, 17:57
You know, 7" is small enough that I no longer have a slight sense of self-consciousness about using a tablet in church, as I would with a 10" tablet. It now serves as my Bible and notepad in the service.

I've never worried about it :D . There were a few of us when the iPad was new [I did not get one for several months and had to play with another guys]. Now I see all sorts of tablets. Mostly iPads (10") but also a growing number of smaller tablets in the 7" realm. Some of the teachers of the adult Sunday School use them as their notes and guide for their lessons even...

I see lots of phone as well being used as scriptures, references, etc.

The tablet is a lot more convenient for me to carry compared to physical book, notebook, references or teachers lesson guides, etc.

Surprised to see a mid cycle update to the iPad. From the comments section on the Gizmodo article I was reading, there are a lot of pissed off iPad 3 owners...

I was surprised to see the mid cycle upgrade on the iPad as well. I wonder what that means for the Spring. Are we on one single cycle now for both phone and iPad? (Fall) It kind of makes sense though, to have an iPad offering (full size) with the new connector for new purchasers who also are buying iPhone 5 devices. I think the Lightning connector pushed it. That, and the much much faster A6 processor (in the new A6X variant, which I am guessing has 4 graphics cores instead of 3 like in the phone, and maybe clocked a little faster, like the iPad was compared to the phone using the same chip).

I've never understood that (people being pissed when new stuff comes out). You should ALWAYS know that whatever you buy, will be replaced tomorrow by something better. And if you bought the iPad 3 when it first came out, you've had it for 6 months already. I am perfectly happy with my iPad 3. Sure I'd like to have he A6X processor, but is it worth getting upset over or selling and buying a new one (obviously that would require money out of my pocket)? No. My iPad 3 works just as well today as it did yesterday. People who get uptight about such things should not be being technology...

--

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 22:22
Well, if anyone will notice the weight difference besides my 4'9" wife (who thinks the Nexus 7 is light and handy), it would be me (http://pistol-training.com/articles/how-i-got-shot) with my permanently damaged arm.

The performance testing numbers Ars Technica got out of the Nexus 7 are compelling.

I'm sold on the Nexus 7 32gb because I've already got a Nexus 7 in the house and it performs superbly. Next purchase after my 32gb Nexus is an iPhone 5 for the wife.

chadbag
10-23-12, 23:38
Well, if anyone will notice the weight difference besides my 4'9" wife (who thinks the Nexus 7 is light and handy), it would be me (http://pistol-training.com/articles/how-i-got-shot) with my permanently damaged arm.

I remember that episode. Did you ever get recompense from the perpetrator? I seem to remember at one time you were trying to find him. You, or your lawyer.

I think that noticing the weight is relative. The Nexus is light and handy until you feel the newer lighter and handier device... No matte the device and the specs, the newer lighter one makes the older not quite as light as but still very light one seem much heavier ;) human nature.

The performance testing numbers Ars Technica got out of the Nexus 7 are compelling.

I won't say that the performance of the Nexus tablets suck or anything. They are reasonable tablets for the price and the compromises reflect the price.

I'm sold on the Nexus 7 32gb because I've already got a Nexus 7 in the house and it performs superbly. Next purchase after my 32gb Nexus is an iPhone 5 for the wife.

Sounds like a plan to me. I've tried hard to not make claims of any device "sucking" or anything. I've just tried to point out that the Nexus does not beat the sh*t on the new iPad mini -- both have strong and weak points or advantages and disadvantages. The Nexus is a very good Android tablet at its price point. Probably the one to beat. I am interested to see how the market reacts to it, especially the refresh that is rumored, compared to the new Amazon Kindle 7 HD or whatever the new equivalent is.

--
--

Littlelebowski
10-24-12, 06:53
I did get some recompense. Never enough, of course.

I had the wrong number on the ppi/screen resolution. The iPad Mini has a bit more screen space due to the tabs in Chrome and the navigation buttons in Android (home, back, show all windows). The Nexus 7 still has a higher resolution.

The benchmark scores from Ars (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/divine-intervention-googles-nexus-7-is-a-fantastic-200-tablet/3/) are pretty much neck and neck (the Mini uses the A5 proc same as the iPad 2, not sure on RAM and certainly NOT indicative of a lower pricepoint on the part of the Nexus7). An argument can be made that the Mini could be faster as the proc will be driving less screen space and therefore having more cycles to spare - faster for other applications. However, I don't know if IOS 6 benchmarks faster or slower.

Personally, I think if you're OS/backend ecosystem agnostic, the Nexus 7 16gb and especially the upcoming 32gb are the clear winners if you don't take pictures with your tablet. The $130/$80 price difference plus the doubled storage capacity (in the case of the Nexus 7 32gb) make this a clear choice for me.

If you want LTE and are willing to pay the price premium for it (I tether to my LTE/4g phone when needed), the iPad Mini is your clear choice but it's not shipping for some time and a price has not been set.

chadbag
10-26-12, 02:59
Pre order for iPad mini started tonight at midnight Pacific Time (3am Eastern, 1am Mountain). Actually about 5 or 6 after the hour.

Got a base model 16gb WiFi ordered. They claim it will be delivered on Nov 2.

Wifi + Cellular models you can order, but they won't be delivered until mid-November.

---

Hmac
10-26-12, 06:55
I ordered a 32 gig wi-fi only model. I'm hoping it will format well for use with our electronic medical record screen sizes so that I can have a nice portable device that will fit in the pocket of a lab coat. I also see it as a form factor that make it more convenient as an e-book reader than my iPad.