PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Ninja- Sons of Guns- Freefall Shotgun episode

Iraq Ninja
10-23-12, 23:05
Tomorrow night the company I work for (Paradigm SRP) will be featured on Sons of Guns. I can't go into the details of what it is about, but the preview is up. Helicopters, free fall, multicam, Mayflower PCs, and shotguns are all involved. If nothing else, the Gear Queers will have a field day with it.

I know that many gun folks laugh at the SoG shows, but I can say that this one may be their best ever. The quality of the builds they did for us was excellent. I got to spend a lot of time in their shop and was overall impressed by what I saw. Flem is one hell of a gunsmith. Red Jacket treated us right...

Notes:

Our lead jumper is Chris Wagner, who was not only a high school friend of mine (he went SF, I went Ranger), but a former Golden Knight and world champion. He currently is a MFF instructor for the Navy EOD.

Joe Jennings is probably the world's leading freefall videographer and his work on the show was amazing. Check out his work at: http://www.skydive.tv/

The "situation" that happens in the show was real "reality TV" and we honestly didn't know the outcome. Weather was a big issue.

Our helicopter is an EC 135 Eurocopter. Last year we used our AStar on a previous episode.

My thanks go out to our friends at Personal Defense here in Texas for getting us hooked up with ITT to showcase their DSNVG night vision monocle. It is simply an amazing piece of kit to use. The ITT folks flew down to make sure there were no ITAR violations or security issues. For instance, the government says you can show the image through the DSNVG, but not how the controls works.

Also, Legion firearms was nice enough to loan us one of their carbines and a pistol for the show.

Lastly, I want to thank Chief "Patches" Watson, former SEAL and author of the books Point Man, and Walking Point. Though he is not featured on the show, his legacy and experience was a major part in bringing back to life a little piece of SEAL history...

Failure2Stop
10-23-12, 23:30
Damnit IN, now I'm going to have to watch the show :laugh:

CoryCop25
10-23-12, 23:54
Yeah, me too. This is totally against everything I stand for.....

NWPilgrim
10-24-12, 00:19
Tomorrow night the company I work for (Paradigm SRP) will be featured on Sons of Guns. I can't go into the details of what it is about, but the preview is up. Helicopters, free fall, multicam, Mayflower PCs, and shotguns are all involved. If nothing else, the Gear Queers will have a field day with it.

Lastly, I want to thank Chief "Patches" Watson, former SEAL and author of the books Point Man, and Walking Point. Though he is not featured on the show, his legacy and experience was a major part in bringing back to life a little piece of SEAL history...

Chief Watson + shotgun = Stevens 37 12 ga. DUCKBILL with #4 buckshot. Or something similar I predict. I would love to see how this attachment performs.

I don't watch SoG anymore, but I will tune in for this episode. Might have to re-read his books this week for the tenth time. Perhaps this will be a good dose of sanity to Red Jacket that serious work is worth watching not just drama and stupid projects.

Reagans Rascals
10-24-12, 00:21
might I ask why your company chose to do business with them in the first place?... or was this simply a situation presented to you from SOG/Discovery?

I guess what I am asking is.... did your company have a real need and thus you specifically sought out Red Jacket for some odd reason, or were you contacted by Discovery Channel/SOG staff and presented with an opportunity for a collaboration?

markm
10-24-12, 14:48
You had me at "multicam"!! :dance3:

Rattlehead
10-24-12, 15:01
ETA: This will probably be the only episode of Sons of Guns I watch where I won't want to punch a baby.

markm
10-24-12, 15:02
HUH? :confused:...

Rattlehead
10-24-12, 15:06
HUH? :confused:...

Fixed it.

Moose-Knuckle
10-24-12, 17:13
IN, thanks for the heads up. I don't watch the show but set up the DVR to record tonights episode.

mildot
10-24-12, 17:42
Any chance we could get a link so we could watch it online?
Thanks

Magic_Salad0892
10-24-12, 18:09
I'll suck it up, and check this episode out, IN.

:)

rushca01
10-24-12, 20:12
Watching now.

Ninja, we're you on the episode?

Iraq Ninja
10-24-12, 20:34
Todd is the tall guy, I am the other one (john). We both sporting white goat beards lol.

rushca01
10-24-12, 20:37
Todd is the tall guy, I am the other one (john). We both sporting white goat beards lol.

Lol, I was waiting for "I was the one with the goatee".

ETA
Holly multicam batman....

Moose-Knuckle
10-25-12, 01:27
Watched it, those Saigas were pretty slick. Cool progression of Chief Watson's duckbill.

Iraq Ninja
10-25-12, 01:45
I was using the rifled saiga and I gotta say it is a sweet gun. Light and not a lot of kick.

Overall, the show went well. They cut some good scenes and some of my better lines! It is not really scripted. They let you say what you want and do want you want.

The best line they cut was just before the assault:

Todd- How we want to hit this house?
Me- I got an idea... I will go first and you follow, because Rangers Lead the Way! and then I run off with Todd (former SF 10th group) runs to catch up.

BTW, our website crashed during the show with all the hits. Now I got hundreds of emails from job seekers wanting work. Maybe I will forward them to the White House.

Next time, I will get rid of the Copenhagen before talking, but that is a Ranger thing too...

Overall, it was fun to do. The GATOR is a real product and works. We did it mostly out of nostalgia and to support the SEAL Museum. Heck, it might even work for hunting hogs!

Iraq Ninja
10-25-12, 01:55
might I ask why your company chose to do business with them in the first place?... or was this simply a situation presented to you from SOG/Discovery?

I guess what I am asking is.... did your company have a real need and thus you specifically sought out Red Jacket for some odd reason, or were you contacted by Discovery Channel/SOG staff and presented with an opportunity for a collaboration?

We had a relationship with RJ from a previous episode with our first generation TALON helo mount. The GATOR project was something we had been working on for a while, trying to re engineer it so it would not break, and add some modern applications to it.

When the SOG guys got in touch with us earlier this year, they asked what we were up to and told them about the GATOR. I had this idea of a short saiga with the GATOR called the Buster. I wanted it to be full auto and used to break contact. I wanted to be able to jump it in. It kinda evolved into what was finally made on the show.

The jump really did end up way off the drop zone. They really didn't script it much, but rather let you say and do what you wanted.

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 02:21
Ninja,

I have to admit that was a decent episode. Now if you can pull some strings to get me over there on the show, that would be cool!

Your stuff arrived today. Email going out later.

krisjon
10-25-12, 02:33
Good stuff, IN! It was fun watching you guys tonight.

Bowser
10-25-12, 04:08
Good stuff. Enjoyed watching it.

A few questions, did you choose all the accessories and what not to be installed on the S12's? How was that cheek weld on the slug gun? How many shots did it take to do the last kaboom?

markm
10-25-12, 07:49
I got to see part of it.... Until Pappabear called me and chewed on my ear.

Now I know what all these "red jacket" references are that I see on the forums. :p

WillBrink
10-25-12, 08:34
ETA: This will probably be the only episode of Sons of Guns I watch where I won't want to punch a baby.

This. :cool:

munch520
10-25-12, 08:47
BTW, our website crashed during the show with all the hits. Now I got hundreds of emails from job seekers wanting work. Maybe I will forward them to the White House.

Next time, I will get rid of the Copenhagen before talking, but that is a Ranger thing too...

Can't imagine how funny some of those emails must've been.

And nothing wrong with dipping. Never was man enough for Copenhagen though (Grizzly instead)

Spiffums
10-25-12, 12:19
Can't imagine how funny some of those emails must've been.

And nothing wrong with dipping. Never was man enough for Copenhagen though (Grizzly instead)

Cop is all I could ever dip. All the other stuff with a "nice" taste I'd forget and swallow.

Took me 4 days of cold turkey to kick the can........but every time I see someone spit or get a dip or have a dip, even on TV, I want one soooo bad :cray:

mildot
10-25-12, 19:41
Pretty Cool, watched it online.
Cheers

CarlosDJackal
10-25-12, 22:05
I saw part of the show. I finally had to change channels because I can only handle so much of Will, his daughter, and all the other hollywood BS the Discovery Channel likes to include in that show. It's like fingernails on chalkboard for me.

What I saw was pretty interesting, though.

rushca01
10-25-12, 23:07
Ninja, how do you like the dbal d2 with ir flood? I have the dbal I2 currently

Iraq Ninja
10-25-12, 23:36
Ninja, how do you like the dbal d2 with ir flood? I have the dbal I2 currently

We really liked it. The IR illuminator is a huge improvement. Time to retire my PEQ 15 to another gun. In fact, a civilian version is available and we ordered 4 of em to try out.

Iraq Ninja
10-25-12, 23:41
Good stuff. Enjoyed watching it.

A few questions, did you choose all the accessories and what not to be installed on the S12's? How was that cheek weld on the slug gun? How many shots did it take to do the last kaboom?

Nope. They designed it based on what we wanted- saiga with a folding stock. I wanted it to be as short as possible and full auto, but that idea evolved into a semi with a slightly longer barrel.

As I said on the show: "One shot, One thrill".

UDT
10-26-12, 09:16
Good show, thanks for letting us know about it.

jonconsiglio
10-26-12, 20:10
Hey John,

I sent you a pm yesterday and hadn't seen this thread or the show. I'll watch it.....

Get down here, there are hogs everywhere!

fourXfour
10-26-12, 22:23
Great episode, one more reason I'm still sticking with the show. I was close yo giving up on it.

Iraq Ninja
10-28-12, 00:48
BTW,

I ran into FLem by chance at the Houston airshow today. He was there chilling with his wife and new baby. We went to one of the hangers to check out a flying replica ME 262, as seen here with Iraq Ninja Junior..

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/download-1.jpg

M4Fundi
10-28-12, 01:44
Just curious if you saw a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. The one currently here has my Grand Uncle's name on the side of it :D

http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/news/presspdf/FlyingTigersExhibitPR.pdf

I think they told me it was going to go on tour at some point. Hope I didn't miss it.

Great show IraqiNinja;)

ThirdWatcher
10-29-12, 00:19
I think Flem's got his stuff together... it was pretty obvious from the first episode he was in.

Voodoochild
10-29-12, 12:08
We really liked it. The IR illuminator is a huge improvement. Time to retire my PEQ 15 to another gun. In fact, a civilian version is available and we ordered 4 of em to try out.

IN pretty cool to see you all on the tube again. What civilian version of the peq-15 are you speaking of?

JohnnyC
10-29-12, 18:56
IN pretty cool to see you all on the tube again. What civilian version of the peq-15 are you speaking of?

Pretty sure he was talking about the DBAL, not the regular ATPIAL. LDI has a couple Class 1 DBAL models, the newest one with a nice LED illuminator.

jonconsiglio
11-23-12, 10:10
Damn John, Sean is getting big!

Voodoochild, he referenced the DBAL D2 earlier in the thread, so I think that's what he's talking about. By all accounts, it seems like one of the best options for civilian IR as of now. I'd just like it to be in the same package and dimensions as the other DBAL's.