PDA

View Full Version : Vickers vs OEM extended Glock mag release

currahee
10-23-12, 23:44
I've got the Vickers mag releases in two Glocks and I really like them. As near as I can tell the main difference between the Vickers and the OEM is the vickers is rounded around the edge (which makes it better.) But I have never seen the OEM extended in person. At half the cost I'm thinking about it, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have three that could use changing.

Has anyone compared them side to side, and/or has anyone just rounded the OEM extended release with a file? (I stipple my Glocks so I'm well over worrying about taking hand tools to the tupperware)

CoryCop25
10-23-12, 23:51
The OEM mag releases are longer than the Vickers release. Some people find that the longer OEM ones tend to release the mags when they are not intended to be released. This depends on types of holsters and carrying techniques. I have both and I don't have issues with either design. I can't say that I have a preference.

nickdrak
10-24-12, 00:25
Gen 1-2-3 or Gen4?

Larry Vickers
10-24-12, 00:38
Assuming you are talking about my Gen 1-2- 3 mag release it is right in the middle between the standard mag catch and the extended ( which is nothing more than the standard mag catch for large frame Glocks)

Also I had it molded with edges dehorned as I dislike the Glock factory mag catches with sharp edges

Hope this helps

LAV

elephantrider
10-24-12, 00:47
I've compared the Glock extended OEM catch side by side with the Vickers catch. The OEM extended catch is a tad bit longer and I prefer it to the Vickers because of the extra length and the $12 price difference. I just round over the edges on the extended OEM catch a bit so it isn't so sharp.

I've never had a problem with the extended catch accidentally releasing the magazine either in a holster or while laying it flat on a table.

On the other hand I love the Vickers extended slide catch/release. Well worth the price.

Swamprattler
10-24-12, 06:57
I have tried both the OEM and Vickers model, I definetly like and use the Vickers. I have filed down the OEM version and still prefer the Vickers model because of the length of it. I have several Glock 9's, an d they all have the Vickers extended mag release and the extended slide stop. This applies to the Gen 3's. I recently purchased a Gen 4 G17 and put a Gen 4 Vickers extended mag release in it. While I like the smoother front and rounded design, I don' t think this one is extended enough to see a difference with the OEM. At least that is my initial impression.

currahee
10-24-12, 17:16
Gen 1-2-3 or Gen4?

gen 2s and 3s (well my 2s are done, so these would be for 3s.

Trajan
10-24-12, 18:21
As has been stated, you pretty much have to file the edges down. Without filing, it kills your support hand.

subzero
10-24-12, 18:31
The OEM Glock piece sticks out far enough that if you lay the loaded gun down on the side with the mag release, you can actuate the mag release by pushing on the gun. I have seen this bite people on USPSA stages requiring the gun to start out on a table. They unwittingly depress the mag release and earn a tap rack penalty for their troubles.

In holsters where the mag release is molded over, this can also happen.

I have shaved down an OEM Glock extended mag release and rounded the edges. It's not hard, but it's a bit time consuming. The Vickers piece is set up properly from the box, they way the stock piece should be.

Bullseye-777
10-24-12, 18:35
I use a Vickers mag release in my G19. It's a nice part. The stock
release is just too short.

Will be adding a couple more in my next Brownells order.

Psalms144.1
10-25-12, 11:01
My team had GLock OEM extended mag releases on all our G19s when I arrived in 2008. Hadn't had any issues with magazines releasing, but they were carrying in straight drop kydex holsters that weren't terribly tight to the body.

I brought in and passed around my personal G19 with a Vickers' extension, and, within the week, we had ordered and installed Vickers' releases on every Glock in the inventory. Not a single shooter prefered the OEM over the Vickers'.

That's a sample of 18 shooters, total, all of whom had fairly extensive training and experience using Glocks, who unanimously chose the Vickers' magazine release.

YMMV, but, for my money, the juice is worth the squeeze on the Vickers' mag release.

Regards,

Kevin

sammage
10-25-12, 11:27
Assuming you are talking about my Gen 1-2- 3 mag release it is right in the middle between the standard mag catch and the extended ( which is nothing more than the standard mag catch for large frame Glocks)

Just like the slide stop, I think of it as the "Goldilocks" mag release - not too big (OEM extended) and not too small (factory).

currahee
10-25-12, 19:04
Yeah I've pretty much decided to go all Vickers (already have two) I saw a you tube vid with the extended OEM filed down and still thought it was to long.

I was gonna add some to an Amazon order I was making, but the guy on Amazon wants $33 (insane) I'll make an order from Brownell's or Midway next month.

ralph
10-25-12, 19:50
Yeah I've pretty much decided to go all Vickers (already have two) I saw a you tube vid with the extended OEM filed down and still thought it was to long.

I was gonna add some to an Amazon order I was making, but the guy on Amazon wants $33 (insane) I'll make an order from Brownell's or Midway next month.

You know Grant has them in stock right now..$16.50 if I remember correctly.. He's also got Vickers slide stops for Glocks...

Heavy Metal
10-25-12, 20:16
If Larry would come out with a set of improved Glock Sights, I could just get everything for my Glock from him!

Dlo250
10-25-12, 20:25
Vickers release works a lot better. Just ordered one for my cousin. Why go the headache of filing when it's already done? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrifty, but the vickers is the way to go. Now vickers improved glock sights, I'm curious to see what that would look like.

StrikerFired
10-25-12, 20:41
Not to run the thread off course, but it you are thinking about trading out the mag release then you really should take a look at the Vickers Glock Magazine base plates. They really are an improvement over the stock ones, and come in a 5 pack.

Larry Vickers
10-26-12, 19:24
Hey guys thanx a million for all the support - I am very happy with all the parts and I must mention that the idea for the baseplates came from Pat and Jim in PA ; thanx goes to them for that great idea

I have been kicking around the idea of sights for Glocks - just need to get my ducks in a row...

Thanx again

LAV

currahee
10-27-12, 16:13
Just ordered three from Brownell's- also had to track down some Trij day sights for the new spare (can't aford to keep tritium on all of them and I like these)

I generally run Pierce extensions on my mags.

kenndapp
10-27-12, 18:25

Also I had it molded with edges dehorned as I dislike the Glock factory mag catches with sharp edges

Hope this helps

LAV
Mr. Vickers, I was under the impression that your slide release would not work with gen1-2 glocks (early 2 pinned frames) because it lacks the spike inhibitor ( at least I think that's what's it's called) that was on the slide release lever of those early 2 pinned frames. Am I wrong? Is there a vickers slide realize out there for early 2 pinned frames?

Larry Vickers
10-27-12, 19:07
I use one in my Gen 1 G17 with no issues - the spike is not really needed

kenndapp
10-27-12, 19:46
I use one in my Gen 1 G17 with no issues - the spike is not really needed

awesome. thank you. i am all over it. i have been shying away from a slide release with out a spike inhibitor for my old 2 pinned frame because i was told with out the spike the slide could lock back randomly mid-mag.

there are some observations concerning this (with some pictures) toward the end of the page here.........

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68122&page=10

but if you say i am GTG.....well, that's good enough for me.

BioLayne
10-30-12, 00:12
I've got the Vickers mag releases in two Glocks and I really like them. As near as I can tell the main difference between the Vickers and the OEM is the vickers is rounded around the edge (which makes it better.) But I have never seen the OEM extended in person. At half the cost I'm thinking about it, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have three that could use changing.

Has anyone compared them side to side, and/or has anyone just rounded the OEM extended release with a file? (I stipple my Glocks so I'm well over worrying about taking hand tools to the tupperware)

Half the cost yea, but what are we talking about? $8 vs $16 (at least that's what I got my Vickers EMR for). I'm all for saving money but heaven forbid I ever got in a gunfight and needed to reload, I'd rather have spent an extra $8 for the mag release that's best and won't snag on my RCS Phantom holster (I believe one issue I've heard on other EMRs is that they are too long and catch on holsters). Anyway, that's just my 2c. If it's just a range gun, then I'd say just do it on the cheap. If it's a carry gun, I'd say get what works best for you.

Larry Vickers
10-30-12, 22:42
Make sure you have good tension on the slide stop spring ( I always put more bend on mine before install ) and I have yet to have a premature lock back in my Gen 1

Also there is a good chance that the shooters that are having that issue are misdiagnosing the problem as being slide stop design when it is actually firing grip interference which bumps up the slide stop mid magazine

Many guys are doing that and don't even know it as the gun torques quickly in their hand and all they know is they weren't touching the slide stop before recoil nor after but during recoil the pistol twists in their firing grip and the slide stop comes into contact with their grip at precisely the wrong time

The way to tell is to fire the pistol with a very firm but distinctly different grip that eliminates any possibility of slide stop interference- that will tell the tale in a couple mags

Be safe

LAV

currahee
11-02-12, 19:51
Got three in from Brownells yesterday and just changed them out. My wife really noticed a difference on hers, and that is the most important part.

Now all five Glocks have the same mag release. Next task is to get the sight changed out on the newest acquisitions.

okie john
11-04-12, 11:39
I have been kicking around the idea of sights for Glocks - just need to get my ducks in a row...

LAV

If this goes forward, will you please offer a range of front sight heights? I have a G17 that needs a taller-than-stock front sight, and I doubt that I'm alone.

Okie John

Cosmo M3
11-04-12, 12:27
I've played with both and I personally prefer LAV's over OEM

Trajan
11-07-12, 09:59
I would also like to add that the GEN 4 Vickers mag release is awesome too (no surprise). No need to move your hand at all anymore, just push with your thumb. Great job LAV!