PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 to Glock 17 Conversion

brushy bill
10-24-12, 19:30
Want to ensure reliability and function...converting a Glock 22 to 17 requires only 9mm barrel, extractor, ejector, firing pin and spring, recoil spring, magazine...correct? Am I missing anything that may compromise reliability? Thanks.

Nephrology
10-24-12, 19:43
You are going to have a breech face that is too large, too. Why do you want to convert to a 17? Buy a 17 if you want to carry a 17.

brushy bill
10-24-12, 21:35
You are going to have a breech face that is too large, too. Why do you want to convert to a 17? Buy a 17 if you want to carry a 17.

Have a G17 and want a back up as it is Gen 2 and I don't have to do grip mods to remove finger grooves, etc. Saw another post this forum where a member did the conversion and have seen several "convertible Glock" type threads. Never heard about the breech face. If it won't work, I wanted to hear that before putting money in the project. So good feedback.

Bullseye-777
10-24-12, 21:38
Want to ensure reliability and function...converting a Glock 22 to 17 requires only 9mm barrel, extractor, ejector, firing pin and spring, recoil spring, magazine...correct? Am I missing anything that may compromise reliability? Thanks.

How about a Lone Wolf conversion barrel?

I saw a video on You Tube and it seemed to work very well.

brushy bill
10-24-12, 22:11
How about a Lone Wolf conversion barrel?

I saw a video on You Tube and it seemed to work very well.

Actually, the post that got me thinking along these lines was of a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in a G22 (believe it was the picture thread, but can't recall exactly). Sounded like a good idea so I wanted to add whatever additional G17 parts would make it reliable. I never read/heard the breechface dimensions were different between 9mm and .40. If it is a non-starter want to know, but if not, want to look into it.

jtc556
10-24-12, 22:16
You will be much better off purchasing a 17.

brushy bill
10-24-12, 22:23
You will be much better off purchasing a 17.

Copy. I have one. Just wanted to see if this was feasible for the 22 as a spare. If no, ok. Don't know what I don't know.

Bullseye-777
10-24-12, 22:31
Actually, the post that got me thinking along these lines was of a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in a G22 (believe it was the picture thread, but can't recall exactly). Sounded like a good idea so I wanted to add whatever additional G17 parts would make it reliable. I never read/heard the breechface dimensions were different between 9mm and .40. If it is a non-starter want to know, but if not, want to look into it.

It appears that it just drops in and works OK in this guy's G22
(of course, still need the G17 mags):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fWhZX6YUY&feature=fvwrel

Curry
10-25-12, 03:01
Last week I bought this, Storm Lake Conversion Barrel (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/438145/storm-lake-conversion-barrel-glock-22-40-s-and-w-to-9mm-luger-1-in-16-twist-449-stainless-steel), and 2 full size 9mm mags. Switched out the barrels, used the 9mm mags and ran 300 rounds thorough my Glock 22. It functioned flawlessly. I left everything else stock. I have not used it enough to trust carrying it, but so far I'm really liking the versatility of it.

Alaskapopo
10-25-12, 03:31

I have used conversion barrels to convert 40's in Glocks and Sigs to 9mm and they worked fine with just a magazine swap for the Glocks and a recoil spring and magazine swap for the Sigs. But for carry I would go with the real thing.
Pat

Spiffums
10-25-12, 11:58
You need a Conversion Barrel since the hole in the slide is bigger.

Magsz
10-25-12, 12:22
For serious use, do NOT use. There are breech face dimension differences that DO matter.

You CAN run 9mm conversion barrels with the .40 cal ejector and while it is not recommended, luck of the draw, ie tolerances will determine whether or not your particular gun works with a particular combination of parts.

I ran a G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel for 3k rounds and had only a few issues. Still, for serious use, a few issues are too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK6v6I0fb6Q&feature=share&list=UU371oVS24jDLUGmNvWg5mqQ

This was a year ago. You can SORT of see the failure to eject. Basically the round was fired, the slide reciprocated but the ejector missed the cartridge completely. In this particular video, if i recall correctly, i was using the .40 cal ejector.

brickboy240
10-25-12, 14:27
You can easily find nice 2nd gen G17s on the web in the 375-400 dollar range.

Why bother with an iffy conversion at all?

You know damn well that 995% of these police trade 2nd gen G17s will run like the devil and give you no problems. My 1992 made police trade 17 is one of the least troublesome handguns I have ever owned.

-brickboy240

tony413
10-28-12, 11:46
heres my GEN 2 G22 running a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel it has been running flawless for the last 13 months and i now no longer use the G22 stock barrel. the barrel now has 3,500 rds through it.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532146_3611777495931_899906616_n.jpg

Blastem
10-28-12, 12:04
I have had 2 malfunctions in 1000+ rounds with a lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and the Korean version of glock mags in my gen 3 G23. No other changes.

If the conversion barrel does not work for you then you get your preference of practice clearing malfunctions or ya sell the conversion barrel.

Seems pretty like a low risk investment when you already have g17. Mags

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nephrology
10-28-12, 13:13
If your backup is just for range/competition use, then the G22 conversion is probably OK. But for serious use (SD/Carry) get a new G17.

It's also worth mentioning that the 9mm and .40 Cal Gen 3 Glocks use the same recoil spring, firing pin, firing pin spring. The only places they differ (in terms of replaceable small parts) are the ejector, extractor, barrel and magazines.

scoutchris
10-28-12, 18:24
Just bit the bullet on a LW 40-9 conversion the other week, and made a video of the very first mag run through it, with absolutely no preparation. It works just fine, there is very little reason to purchase a second gun, this forum just seems to attract the most "demanding" i.e.- OCD shooters. either way, you won't be making a mistake- just spending more money. Here's the vid, and a few more are on my channel from my second deployment to Iraq, shooting some pretty neat pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDE3FK6vggI&feature=plcp

brushy bill
10-28-12, 21:08
Just bit the bullet on a LW 40-9 conversion the other week, and made a video of the very first mag run through it, with absolutely no preparation. It works just fine, there is very little reason to purchase a second gun, this forum just seems to attract the most "demanding" i.e.- OCD shooters. either way, you won't be making a mistake- just spending more money. Here's the vid, and a few more are on my channel from my second deployment to Iraq, shooting some pretty neat pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDE3FK6vggI&feature=plcp

40-9 barrel...would this not take up the space on the breech face? If there is a difference on the breech face, would this not compensate for it?

scoutchris
10-28-12, 21:52
Absolutely, Bill. This is part of the myth created by uninformed consumers. The only difference is the wall thickness of the chamber where it meets the breech face, in order for it to properly line up with the 40 extractor. It's a great barrel, and cost me $125.99, no tax, free shipping - ebay. That's a hell of a deal compared with the cost associated with a G26...