PDA

View Full Version : Arizonans voting to retake Grand Canyon

SMETNA
10-24-12, 22:40
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/24/arizona-to-vote-on-taking-control-grand-canyon-next-front-in-agebrush-revolt/

Awesome.

iPhone/Tapatalk

Packman73
10-25-12, 01:04
Yup, we're taking our shit back.

NWPilgrim
10-25-12, 01:31
Love it! I hope they do it. Somebody needs to kick the feds down a notch.

Now if Texas and Alaska would take control of oil and gas drilling and tell the feds to bugger off on where they can and cannot drill and refine or what they can sell.

Living in a communist wannabe state it is refreshing to see more independent minded states exert some pushback.

chadbag
10-25-12, 01:44
Utah is trying to get its land back too. A very large percentage of land in Utah is "owned" by the Fed government.

It is a big problem.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/291-federal-lands-in-the-us

----

Moose-Knuckle
10-25-12, 02:56
Secede!

Gawd I wished . . .

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/TexasSec.png

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 03:00
Some people say it stupid and a waste of money. I say it's time that the States assert themselves and run things the way they want to as it was meant to be. I have no problem with some federal involvement.

But, when the feds can step in and simply declare an area off limits because of three legged grasshoppers or some wildflower that is too much. Currently almost 40% of Arizona land is under some type of federal control. It's time to end that.

SMETNA
10-25-12, 03:00
" . . . . But . . . . But . . But if we make them angry with us, they might cut . . . cut . . . cut off our federal m . . . m . . money!" - pussy-ass bitches

iPhone/Tapatalk

duece71
10-25-12, 08:15
This could be the start of a wave of reform of this kind that will no doubt give other states some power to do the same thing. I am all for it. I hope this succeeds. Good for Arizona.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-25-12, 08:16
Some people say it stupid and a waste of money. I say it's time that the States assert themselves and run things the way they want to as it was meant to be. I have no problem with some federal involvement.

But, when the feds can step in and simply declare an area off limits because of three legged grasshoppers or some wildflower that is too much. Currently almost 40% of Arizona land is under some type of federal control. It's time to end that.

I think that the federalization of every problem and the nationalization of every solution leads directly to the polarization and partisan fighting we see in DC. When you have little contact with the actual problem, basically unlimited money and no real accountability you end up with people taking principled rather than practical stands. By all means stand by your principles, but at the end of the day, things have to get done.

Look at the crap that Walker took in Wis from largely national groups- and what does Rahm Emmanuel do as mayor of Chicago- about the same thing- reign in teachers unions and try to balance a budget. All govt tends to lean center-right at the local level because they have to pay the bills with real money and face voters directly if they want more money. They have to make decisions about getting the best overall govt they can, not some agenda driven talking points legislation buried in committee.

jaxman7
10-25-12, 08:20
That is really good to hear.

On a lighter note....I just pictured in my head IraqGunz, markm, and Pappabear storming the Grand Canyon while waving a Arizona flag. ;)

-Jax

VooDoo6Actual
10-25-12, 10:07
I hope it gets some traction.

R/Tdrvr
10-25-12, 11:09
Love this quote from the article:

"They can't even fund and ensure that their (state) parks are protected, so how they would take on an additional 25 to 30 million acres of land is a big question mark," Sandy Bahr, director of the Sierra Club Grand Canyon Chapter, told Reuters.

Kinda like how the Federal government can't take care of the 16+trillion dollar debt.

Artos
10-25-12, 11:28

...and a lot of that is on the border where LE is very restricted in their ability to handle the growing narcotic / illegal traffic issues.

madness...

VooDoo6Actual
10-25-12, 11:33
Can't even run the Postal Service.

Reagans Rascals
10-25-12, 11:50
I fail to see how a State will win ownership of federal facilities... it mentioned this proposed bill includes Federal and Military Installations... how is that going to be transferred to State control....

Unless somehow the fed will retain control of the facility while Arizona retains control of the surrounding lands...

Spiffums
10-25-12, 12:07
Sounds an awful lot like before the Civil War when States were saying Fed Gov can't do this and can't do that.

davidjinks
10-25-12, 12:18
What will this do for Arizona?

Is this just a move to get back their land and keep it as "state" land or is there a political link to this move?

I can't say that I've ever followed things of this political nature before.

Just trying to gain some insight here.

NWPilgrim
10-25-12, 12:38
Has the Grand Canyon been designated a UN site like so many other Natl Parks and monuments? It si pretty low key here in the states, but a few years ago when we boated along the Rhine in Germany nearly every castle (about every 2-3 miles) had a sky blue UNICEF flag flying over it. The previous owner is allowed to live and manage the site but the UN has ultimate control over it. I believe Mt Rainier or Olympic Natl Park went UN in Washington State? Not sure.

Arizona stepping in to take control is a much better direction that turning our national sites over to the UN.

DeltaSierra
10-25-12, 12:55
Politics, all politics...

I've seen this sort of thing happen before, and it is usually some wing-nut in State Gov't that just needs some attention...

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 12:56
Actually if you go back and read the article it states federal installations and Indian land is not part of the deal.

I fail to see how a State will win ownership of federal facilities... it mentioned this proposed bill includes federal and Military Installations... how is that going to be transferred to State control....

Unless somehow the fed will retain control of the facility while Arizona retains control of the surrounding lands...

VooDoo6Actual
10-25-12, 13:24
Has the Grand Canyon been designated a UN site like so many other Natl Parks and monuments? It si pretty low key here in the states, but a few years ago when we boated along the Rhine in Germany nearly every castle (about every 2-3 miles) had a sky blue UNICEF flag flying over it. The previous owner is allowed to live and manage the site but the UN has ultimate control over it. I believe Mt Rainier or Olympic Natl Park went UN in Washington State? Not sure.

Arizona stepping in to take control is a much better direction that turning our national sites over to the UN.

Yes it has. You can thank Clinton for that one.

Brimstone
10-25-12, 13:33
Sounds an awful lot like before the Civil War when States were saying Fed Gov can't do this and can't do that.

They were right then too.

markm
10-25-12, 13:50
The first thing you guys need to know is that if you have a CANYON...

YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT! SOMEBODY ELSE MADE THAT HAPPEN!!

Hussein controls it... PERIOD!

500grains
10-25-12, 14:19
Utah is trying to get its land back too. A very large percentage of land in Utah is "owned" by the Fed government.

I heard an ad on the radio that said, in effect, "It would be expensive to police that land. Vote to keep it federally owned."

chadbag
10-25-12, 14:24
I heard an ad on the radio that said, in effect, "It would be expensive to police that land. Vote to keep it federally owned."

"I am Barack Obama, and I approve of this message"

or

"I am Harry Reid, and I approve of this message"

Kfgk14
10-25-12, 14:31

Amen to that. Anyone who ever went fishing in Cape Cod (about all MA is good for, IMHO) knows this damn well.

Piping plover tastes like chicken (google it) :dirol:

NWPilgrim
10-25-12, 18:09
The first thing you guys need to know is that if you have a CANYON...

YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT! SOMEBODY ELSE MADE THAT HAPPEN!!

Hussein controls it... PERIOD!

Very funny! I thought it was created when Al Gore dragged his carbon assprint out of bed. All five mansions worth. Even looks like his Internet!