PDA

View Full Version : Aporkalypse Now - Going Helicopter Hog hunting tomorrow!

ShrockWorks
10-24-12, 22:58
I havent fired a shot...of any kind, in months. I'm psyched!

I've never loaded 600 rounds into mags all at once. My Lula Loader definitely just paid for itself.

Improvised "GoPro" head mounted video camera. Fumbled through my drawer full of parts. Found a PVS-14 "J-Arm" for mounting a PVS-14 on a weapon. Makes a perfect mount for a camera onto the picatinny rail of my helmet. The stud for mounting the PVS is the same as a std camera tripod mount that was on my point-and-shoot digital camera, so everthing just bolted right up. It takes video too like most cameras these days. It takes only a couple seconds to put on/off with the big thumb screws. You could mount it to a gun too with this if you wanted.

I debated what gun to take. 6.8 is just too expensive to send 500 pieces of brass out into space....same for the .308. I'm taking a 20" ARP 5.56 upper I built with a mega upper receiver. I have a similar build of a 16" but the 20" isnt really noticeably heavier and just points really well shooting offhand accurately...the extra 150 FPS cant hurt either. I put the upper on a Noveske lower that has a Geissele trigger in it and threw and EOTech on there. I threw a vertical grip on there too. I dont use them that much, but I do like them shooting offhand, and this will be all offhand.

I put an AAC break mount on there since needing quick followup shots will be a given. A .223 with a break has almost zero recoil, so it should shoot sweet.

I loaded up 450 rounds of 5.56 with 65gr BTSP Sierra Game Kings. I had 150 rounds of Hornady Steel match with the Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet. Both should kill pretty well for a .223. I threw a few clips of 55gr FMJ in there too just in case the round count gets crazy.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/shrockworks/Guns%20and%20Hunting/HelicopterHogHuntLoadout.jpg

SkyPup
10-25-12, 06:28
Just totally awesome, be sure to post the Go-Pro video so we can enjoy it!

Iraq Ninja
10-25-12, 08:02
What kind of helicopter you going to be hunting from?

Shokr21
10-25-12, 08:59
Something that I've always wanted to do.

Please give us a report on how it went.

Happy hunting!

ShrockWorks
10-25-12, 10:06
What kind of helicopter you going to be hunting from?

Robinson R44, small 4 seat.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/files/2011/10/4.jpg

tuck
10-25-12, 11:01
I'm jealous. I've been wanting to do a heli hunt for a long time...

I'm excited to see your video!

Army Chief
10-25-12, 12:03
Max points for creativity in thread title. ;)

Never flown an R22/R44, but we used to have great times corralling herds of large deer back in my Huey days.

Often under NVGs.

Occasionally with machineguns.

AC

Zhurdan
10-25-12, 12:12

I'm sure they've considered it, but what do they do about the guy on the right side door (brass)? I'm assuming that's why they use the high rotor chopper.

Army Chief
10-25-12, 12:22
Probably a brass bag or chute, no?

AC

JimP
10-25-12, 14:26
Dang!! That's a spank-fest in every sense of the word!!! Good luck.

drrufo
10-25-12, 17:21
I'm suprised some one didn't end with" I love the smell of bacon in the morning". Fitting sigline.

maddy345
10-26-12, 21:08
I'm green with envy!!!

lethal dose
10-26-12, 21:12
Any luck?

trackmagic
10-28-12, 02:47
I saw a video of one of these once. The guy had a camera rigged up behind his Aimpoint and viewed the camera with a helmet-mounted display. It might have been the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Iraq Ninja
10-30-12, 00:01

FYI...

Anyone flying in an R-44 needs to confirm that they have replaced the fuel tank with the one designed not to rupture on crash landings. This was around 2010 I think, but was not a required upgrade. There are many out there still using the old tanks. If not, then you should follow Robinson's recommendations and wear a nomex suit, gloves, and helmet. This is because they have a tendency to auto rotate into the ground, turn over, and burst into flames. Recently,a Robinson went down here in Houston, and the pilot and passenger were killed after auto rotation and the expected fire.

The R-22 and R-44 are popular because they are inexpensive to own and operate, and not because of their performance. Many consider them the Pinto to Helicopters. That plus the less than optimal tail rotor authority means they are not the best choice for hog hunting if you intend to make dynamic maneuvers in windy conditions.

Magic_Salad0892
10-30-12, 02:22
I threw a few clips of 55gr FMJ in there too just in case the round count gets crazy.

What kind?

TommyG
01-27-13, 07:53
I wonder if this was a Robinson? Anyone hear any additional details? Supposedly they were hog hunting.

http://suwanneedemocrat.com/local/x964886300/Two-Live-Oak-men-involved-in-helicopter-crash-in-St-Lucie-County

Quote from the article: "Live Oak — Two Live Oak men were involved in a helicopter crash in St. Lucie County around 9 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office. Jonathan Strayer, 46, and Massad Ayoob, 64, were treated and released at Raulerson Memorial Hospital in Okeechobee, as was the pilot, William Harward, 55, Miami."

usmc1371
01-27-13, 12:06
I am so jelious!! I have seen the state hunters smoking coyotes from the air and I have always wanted to try it. What is the cost if you don't mind my asking?

Ready.Fire.Aim
01-27-13, 21:14
Here is a copy of Massad Ayoob's account of the helicopter crash.
See link for photos
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

DON’T BE AFRAID OF FLYING…
Sunday, January 27th, 2013 by Mas | 41 Comments »
…Be afraid of when the aircraft suddenly STOPS flying.

Yesterday, my friend John Strayer and I went aloft to try our hand shooting feral hogs from a helicopter with .44 Magnum revolvers. Our mutual friend Norm Ambrozy, who had arranged the hunt, was on the ground awaiting his turn in the little Hiller, a UH12B I believe. *This increasingly popular – and by all accounts, exhilarating – method of pest eradication has come about from overpopulations of the wild hogs absolutely destroying farmland in several parts of the country.* We thought it would be even more challenging with six-shooters.* It’s normally done with AR15 sporting rifles and, yes, those evil “large capacity magazines” which so upset the White House.

A few minutes into the flight, as we were zoning in on an oinker that had run under the canopy of some tall pines, the engine lost power.* We won’t know exactly what happened until the FAA completes its investigation, but when the main rotor hit the first treetop, the die was cast. Autorotation doesn’t work without rotors, and you all know the old joke about a helicopter’s glide path.

We ended up nose down and kinda upside down.* And grateful to be alive.* I’d like to also personally publish my gratitude to those who expressed concern when they heard about it on the Internet, and to the pilot, Graham Harward, who “brought us back alive.” Cuts, bruises, pulled muscles and stiffness, but since none of the stiffness involves rigor mortis, ain’t none of us complaining.

The flight provider describes their service as “helicopter adventures,” and that was certainly truth in advertising. I had told my sweetie, the Evil Princess, that I was going on a 4-H program: Handgun Helicopter Hog Hunt.* When we were sopping up blood en route to the hospital, she texted me from home, “Change the title to Handgun Helicopter Hog Hunt Hurtles to Harrowing Halt.” That pretty well described it…

Ready.Fire.Aim
01-27-13, 21:16
Helicopter hog hunt is on the 2013 to- do list. There are quite a few of them here in Texas.
Looking forward to reading your update.

Airhasz
01-27-13, 22:07
Glad you survived the crash without major injuries, I'll stay on the ground...:p

rocsteady
02-02-13, 11:33
Did I miss it? This wasn't the OP that crashed was it?

Hopefully not. If not, what happened to the OP? How did the hunt go? Where's the video.

ShrockWorks
02-04-13, 11:40
Hi guys,

Sorry for the very tardy followup.

The helo hunt was a hell of an experience. I wasnt sure what to expect. I'd never even been in a helicopter before much less hanging out of one with no door making crazy maneuvers.

It was a blast! On the way out it didnt seem like we were going very fast, but the wind drag on my barrel (which we kept out the window at all times) told me otherwise. I asked the pilot and he said we were doing about 125mph air speed. That really surprised me.

It was a hoot. Never got scared or nervous at all. At one point after some wild maneuvering, one of the outfitters that was riding along started getting sick and we had to touch down for a bit. He looked green. I took out a can of snuff, got a dip, then and asked him if he wanted one. He didnt think it was very funny LOL.

We didnt find as many groups of hogs as I had hoped, but it was still a great experience. The good news is that even though we only found two groups, One of eight and one of six, I got all 14 of them.

I was really worried about how my shooting skill would hold up. Shooting something moving while I'm moving too isnt something that I've done since my teenage years blasting out of the back of a truck. The pilot was very skilled. He worked the pigs toward open areas before I cut loose, then he would fly sideways chasing them so I had a clear view.

The first group of 8 were all largish mature pigs. The field the pilot drove them into was pretty open so they were running in a pretty straight line. I ended up with a 15 rounds left in the 30 rnd mag when they were done for. The pilot said he was impressed and I was feeling great.

The next group of six were smaller, prob 30-40 lbs. The area looked open, but the grass was tall enough that they were having to dart left and right to go around things. Speedy small pigs juking around definitely made things a lot harder. I managed to get all six with a few rounds to spare in the mag, but hitting them was a lot harder.

Overall it was a very cool highly recommended experience.

ccoker
02-04-13, 16:17
not sure I can think of anything that would be more fun!

jmnielsen
02-04-13, 16:55
I can't think of anything else that could be as much fun either, wow! Any pictures or video? That would be great to see.

Airhasz
02-04-13, 19:15
Are these swine retrieved or left to scavengers?

Atlshaun
02-04-13, 21:56
Wow. Effing awesome...i would love to do that.

kry226
02-05-13, 09:10
Are these swine retrieved or left to scavengers?

Mostly left. While some hogs are good for consumption, some, especially the largest, are not. Nature doesn't waste anything, though.

striped1
02-05-13, 18:42
I have eaten sows and boars from 100lbs up to a little over 300 lbs and they are absolutely delicious.

Lawnchair 04
02-05-13, 18:55
Any chance the op got the gopro video up yet?

RogerinTPA
02-05-13, 21:09
I've seen a few helo hog hunts on YouTube and it looks fun as hell. Glad you survived. Post pics/Vids when you can. When the Robinsons first came out, they were killing inexperienced/novice pilots left and right due to mast bumping (Blade hinge makes contact with the main mast through abrupt fight control inputs, cracking or shearing it in half).

ZuluCharlie
02-07-13, 23:46
Mostly left. While some hogs are good for consumption, some, especially the largest, are not. Nature doesn't waste anything, though.

Bacon is bacon. And bacon is awesome.

kry226
02-08-13, 07:15
Bacon is bacon. And bacon is awesome.

Some folks eat 'em, some folks don't. YMMV. :dirol:

Atlshaun
02-08-13, 08:18
No pics of the carnage?