PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Colt M4 at Wallyworld?

An Undocumented Worker
10-25-12, 16:49
I stopped by WalMart today and checked out the gun rack while I was there. I saw they had a Colt M4 as expected, but I then noticed that the barrel was shorter than the other AR's they had. I thought hmm thats strange. I asked a clerk if I could look at it, I checked it over and took a tape measure to the barrel. Sure enough it was 14.5".
I mentioned something about NFA and Tax Stamp, and of course the clerk had no ****ing clue as to what I just said, I might as well have been speaking greek. So has WalMart entered the NFA game or was this a severe supply chain **** up?

ASH556
10-25-12, 16:55
I stopped by WalMart today and checked out the gun rack while I was there. I saw they had a Colt M4 as expected, but I then noticed that the barrel was shorter than the other AR's they had. I thought hmm thats strange. I asked a clerk if I could look at it, I checked it over and took a tape measure to the barrel. Sure enough it was 14.5".
I mentioned something about NFA and Tax Stamp, and of course the clerk had no ****ing clue as to what I just said, I might as well have been speaking greek. So has WalMart entered the NFA game or was this a severe supply chain **** up?

I'd bet it's the latter and I'll be Wal-mart doesn't have a clue where to even start. Go online and buy a Battlecomp or other 1.5" muzzle device tonight and go back tomorrow and buy the Colt!

Bizzarolibe
10-25-12, 17:01
I'd bet it's the latter and I'll be Wal-mart doesn't have a clue where to even start. Go online and buy a Battlecomp or other 1.5" muzzle device tonight and go back tomorrow and buy the Colt!

THIS!!!

Buy that rifle right f'ing now!

ASH556
10-25-12, 17:09

Oh, and as soon as you complete the transaction and walk out, take the thing apart until you can get your muzzle device pinned/welded!

An Undocumented Worker
10-25-12, 17:09
There is no way I'm buying that rifle, as tempting as it is. I have no desire to risk ending up on the wrong side of one of the ATF's lawyers.

For a good solid half hour after leaving the store it felt like my brain was broken, constantly asking myself WTF? I mean that is a serious ****up on either Walmart or Colt's part. I must say it was pretty nifty seeing one of those in the wild.

Though I would be willing to bet it would make a good investment for someone should legislation become less favorable for gun ownership in the future.

fixit69
10-25-12, 17:31
Gets me wondering...

If someone unknowingly purchased this rifle, what would the legal ramifications be? Just eyeballing the gun and buying it and going home, just what would happen to the unknowing customer?

ARonBoard
10-25-12, 17:35
So there was no muzzle device whatsoever? Just bare threads? The barrel can be 14.5" as long as it meets 16" OAL. Am I missing something?

Draufganger
10-25-12, 17:38
Colt makes 16" ones and then the factory SBR's with 14,5". They dont do 14,5" pinned and welded to 16"...

An Undocumented Worker
10-25-12, 17:38
Gets me wondering...

If someone unknowingly purchased this rifle, what would the legal ramifications be? Just eyeballing the gun and buying it and going home, just what would happen to the unknowing customer?

"Ignorance of the law is not a defense to breaking it" At least that is what I have heard from more than one LEO on various topics.

I'm sure ya'll have all heard stories of the sorts of ****ed up reasoning the ATF has used to prosecute people.

But I wonder how many more slipped through the cracks.

An Undocumented Worker
10-25-12, 17:40
So there was no muzzle device whatsoever? Just bare threads? The barrel can be 14.5" as long as it meets 16" OAL. Am I missing something?

No there was an A2 flash hider installed with a crush washer. From the back of the delta ring to the tip of the flash hider was under roughly 15 inches.

scoutfsu99
10-25-12, 17:45
Pictures?

An Undocumented Worker
10-25-12, 17:51
No pics, but it's sitting on the rack of a Walmart in either Rockmart or Cedartown Ga.

ARonBoard
10-25-12, 17:52
Colt makes 16" ones and then the factory SBR's with 14,5". They dont do 14,5" pinned and welded to 16"...

Gotcha. Learned something new about Colt today. Thanks for the info.

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 18:41
Instead of speculating I would either go back and talk to someone and or make sure exactly what make and model it is.