PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms Barrel

kittyhawk
10-25-12, 18:02
Hey anyone here get one of the New Raineir Arms Select MEDCON Barrels?
They Look really nice and a good price. I am looking at rebarreling my M&P Tactical with a better barrel.

Thanks

Dave

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3279

wahoo95
10-25-12, 18:08
They sold out before I could get one. I would like to get one though as I like what they're doing with it. I have one of their CHF barrels and its very accurate.

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 18:44
I have a few on order and am interested to see what they do.

Vulture38
10-25-12, 18:55
I would like to hear how well they work.

jaxman7
10-25-12, 19:55
This or a Sionics barrel will probably be my next barrel purchase. Looking forward to feedback on both.

-Jax

Iraqgunz
10-25-12, 21:02
The SIONICS rifle I tested was pretty damn accurate with plain old M855 and some Hornady Steel TAP.

During the Magpul course it did very good with the 2MOA Aimpoint T-1.

This or a Sionics barrel will probably be my next barrel purchase. Looking forward to feedback on both.

-Jax

justin_247
10-26-12, 03:01
Very interesting! The fact that it weighs only slightly more than a 16" CHF middy combined with the relatively low price point makes this very appealing to me.

Definitely interested in how well these shoot.

jaxman7
10-26-12, 08:19
The SIONICS rifle I tested was pretty damn accurate with plain old M855 and some Hornady Steel TAP.

During the Magpul course it did very good with the 2MOA Aimpoint T-1.

Copy that IG. I am just surprised these aren't 'out there' more yet. I guess the company just needs more time/exposure.

Apologies for the slight thread derail.

-Jax

Sean W.
11-03-13, 03:43
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I was wondering if we could get an update on how well these barrels performed?

mpom
11-03-13, 09:02
Since they just came back in stock, one is inbound. Will post results once I have some rounds through it.
Have not read anything bad about it, so since I like the light weight, profile that preserves mass close to chamber and then tapers down, black finish and very reasonable price, thought I would take a chance.
Has the potential for good accuracy as Ranier calls it Match Grade, has a Wyle chamber and rumored to be made by Black Hole, which has a reputation for accuracy. Was considering the 16" mid gas Criterion from Brownell's, which also has a good reputation. That one is made from chrome moly steel rather than SS, and is chrome lined, so likely will last somewhat longer than a SS. However I am hoping the Ranier Select will last as they allude to some hardening of the bore surface in the description. Polygon rifling has an appeal. Heck, you can always return it within 90 days if you are unhappy!

mark

philpac33
11-03-13, 22:13
I've had a 16" Rainier Arms Select 5.56 MEDCON barrel for almost a year and I'm extremely happy with it. It's a true 5.56 chamber; the Match and UltraMatch Series barrels are .223 Wylde and do not come in MEDCON. I tested it for accuracy on this rifle's first outing and it did not disappoint. Using 75gr Hornady Superformance Match ammo and a borrowed Vortex PST I shot 3 5-round groups that averaged 1.25" from the prone position(no bench). The 1x8 twist has handled everything from 50gr varmint rounds to the previously mentioned 75gr BTHPs. I would have preferred the black oxide finish but considering availability in the weeks after Sandy Hook, I was happy to take one in matte stainless; I'm not sure if that is even an option at this time. With a 15" Troy/VTAC rail only sliver of it is visible and in conjunction with the nickel Teflon coated trigger(ALG ACT) and NiB BCG, I've grown to like the finish. Not only is this a great barrel for the price, it's a great barrel period.

Iraqgunz
11-03-13, 22:44
I could be wrong, but I believe that some of their barrels are made by Lothar Walther. I built and upper for someone with one of their barrels and a Centurion Arms rail and he was able to hover around 1 MOA with match ammo and his Leupold scope.

Since they just came back in stock, one is inbound. Will post results once I have some rounds through it.
Have not read anything bad about it, so since I like the light weight, profile that preserves mass close to chamber and then tapers down, black finish and very reasonable price, thought I would take a chance.
Has the potential for good accuracy as Ranier calls it Match Grade, has a Wyle chamber and rumored to be made by Black Hole, which has a reputation for accuracy. Was considering the 16" mid gas Criterion from Brownell's, which also has a good reputation. That one is made from chrome moly steel rather than SS, and is chrome lined, so likely will last somewhat longer than a SS. However I am hoping the Ranier Select will last as they allude to some hardening of the bore surface in the description. Polygon rifling has an appeal. Heck, you can always return it within 90 days if you are unhappy!

mark

mpom
11-04-13, 02:22
Very possible the Ranier Select barrels are made by Lothar or use Lothar blanks, as Ranier states the steel comes from same mill that supplies H&K.
Nice to hear from first hand users.

gman556
11-04-13, 20:50
I have both the 16" Medcon midlength, and regular 16" middy select, which seems to have been discontinued. Both 1-8" twist. I liked the first one so much, I mounted another on my other AR.

Both get excellent accuracy. In this pic below the actual squares are 1/2", and not 1".

77gr Sie SMK's at 100yds

I could never get this kind of grouping with my other 5.56 nato chambered 1/7 twist quality barrels, which I will not name.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn110/friendly12008/DSC00960.jpg

tommyrott
11-04-13, 21:13
got one of the early select they were being made by blackhole weaponry, could be that rainier just can't get stock from certain vendors, but if truly curious email them about who makes them, the CHF's were from Daniel defense and they have changed the gas block journal spec to .75 for LW. using the select for my 3-gun set up only complaint is the gas port is .093+ so put an adjustable GB on it shots very accurate

TehLlama
11-07-13, 10:11
I could be wrong, but I believe that some of their barrels are made by Lothar Walther. I built and upper for someone with one of their barrels and a Centurion Arms rail and he was able to hover around 1 MOA with match ammo and his Leupold scope.

I recall John mentioning somewhere at some point that those barrels started life as LW blanks at a minimum - the two examples I've gotten to see and shoot were impressive shooters. For budget accuracy, I was blown away at the 1.5MOA accuracy of the Rainier barrel with PPU 75gr HPBT ammunition - and I suspect the ammo was holding it back some.

krichbaum
11-07-13, 11:32
I have 16" medcon select barrel I just used to build a new upper. I have only put 25 rds through it, but so far it looks promising. I only got a chance to shoot a five round group at 50 yds, but it was just over a half inch and I had a lot of things working against me on that:

bulk loaded ammo (just what I had on hand that day)
old Accupoint 1.25-4 scope which has the triangle reticle (very hard for me to get lined up precisely without crosshairs)
shooting from prone with two small bags stacked under handguard, no rear support (very wobbly on those front bags)

I have a Leupold 3-9 VX-R out for repair, and when it gets back I'll take this gun out and shoot some groups at 100yds. I'll also have my bipod on it then. Will probably still use the same bulk loaded ammo, but between the better scope and better support, I think this thing should be able to hold MOA or better at 100yds. If it does, I'll be extremely happy. If it doesn't, then I'm fairly certain that some better ammo will get it there. Keep in mind also, I'm not a precision shooter...this is the first 'accurate' barrel I've owned.

ETA: The ammo I mentioned was my reloads off my LNL AP using Hornady 55gr FMJ projectiles...I bet some 75gr hp pills will tighten things up nicely.