PDA

View Full Version : Tapco Mag Fail in Olympic Arms Range Story.

TacMedic556
10-25-12, 20:32
I will try to keep this as objective as possible. Most of us use USGI or PMAGS, an individual brought a brand new, never used TAPCO to a training day this week where the following occurred:

Magazine was loaded with 30 rounds of 55 grain FMJ 223 Rem from Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (training rounds). The magazine was inserted into another individuals 3 shot burst capable, older Olympic Arms 16" Carbine with Rifle butt stock and buffer assembly. This is the teams only non 6933 carbine, being a throwback to earlier times when the department ran such pieces. This carbine has a clean record so far and cycles with USGI and PMAGs just fine. Typicall it is a rack gun, not for team members or use other than some training where an extra gun is needed.

Upon releasing the bolt, the first round (feeding off the right side of the mag) struck the "ok" M4 feed ramps, forcing the bullet all the way back into the case and causing a failure to feed. The malf was cleared, magazine re-inserted. The round on the left, fed fine. One round was fired on "semi" and the next round malfunctioned the same way. The problem continued to occur each and every time the rounds were feeding from the right side of the mag (ejection port side). The magazine was tossed to a guy with a Colt 6933, where it fed on rapid semi auto fire with no problems.

It allowed for some good training on clearing the malfunction and switching to a secondary weapon during some live fire drills. I am proud to say that on two occasions where I was using the weapon, I was able to transition to pistol quickly and issue shots with the pistol to the center mass at 15 yards. Below are photos of the mag and carbine involved.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/Tacmedic556/1022121522.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/Tacmedic556/1022121523.jpg

Lesson? Buy Colt, Buy PMAGs.

duece71
10-25-12, 20:59
I have a few TAPCO AK mags and have had good luck with them. I haven't tried any of the AR mags and it sounds like I will wait. Pmags and USGI work fine for my usage now anyway.

Jojo66
11-03-12, 08:20
I'm a little confused? You said it failed in the one gun and was fine in the other guys gun?then how is this the mags fault?i have never used anything other than usgi and pmags in my gun so by no means trying to back up a product that I am yet to try out but I don't understand how it would be a mag failure if the mag functions fine in someone else's gun?

TacMedic556
11-03-12, 11:17
It functioned in the one Colt, but then again all he did was fire off the remaining 3 rounds that were in it, so the test was not that conclusive. The magazine was the ONLY magazine that would not function in the piece of junk Oly.

Jojo66
11-03-12, 11:22
Hmmm you know I have heard of other mags not functioning in olys specifically tango downs and now tapcos.actually it was the same malfunction that you encountered.either way thanks for the review and ill stick with my pmags

Stickman
11-03-12, 12:45
They just got bought out by the Freedom Group, so it will be interesting to see what changes come along.

Jake'sDad
11-03-12, 15:02
They just got bought out by the Freedom Group, so it will be interesting to see what changes come along.

At least they'll save the time they had to spend to **** up Marlin...

rojocorsa
11-03-12, 17:35

Aren't DPMS and Shrubmaster already part of Freedom Group?

So doesn't that mean that they'll keep cranking crap out?