PDA

View Full Version : Batch of new m4s in...

ramairthree
10-26-12, 18:19
I have been using the same M4 for the past 7 years.
same EoTech, rail, arms rear sight, stock, etc. (I also seem to have one of the last "smooth" stocks vs the "waffle" stocks.

During that time the only updates have been a new PEQ, and replacing a regular vtac sling with a padded on.

it has been used to enough break lugs off two bolts, and barrel replacement twice.

Issue mags are green followers, some buy their own p mags. (a trial of HK mags was around 05, but did not cut it)

I know others may have already been around the fn m4s and brown mags awhile, but these past two weeks are our first.

One of the new guys with the bad charging handle I am sure was giving me the hurry up and retire look so I can drug deal with the armorer and get dibs on your Colt.

Anyways, new guys are the first to get the batch M4s that are FN instead of Colt. of half a dozen guns, two had out of spec charging handles that had to be swapped out. They were either crooked or too wide and way too much grit and drag. Despite some VERY bubba looking model number and auto markings with the roll marks, all otherwise functioned as expected for new, tight guns.

On the other hand, all new in box green follower mags have been used up and the first batch of brown ass backwards follower mags are now being used. Not finding them to be on par with new green follower mags, ymmv. Fit and reliability issues on a not insignificant portion.

DeltaSierra
10-26-12, 18:20
FN M4s?

I have never, ever even heard of such an animal.

Is there any way you can get a photo....?

ramairthree
10-26-12, 18:27
I should have a pic Sunday. now, it is an oval with what I thought were an f and and n in it. kind of superimposed.

They also have ambi safeties.

DeltaSierra
10-26-12, 18:39
What country are you located in? Are these LE issue, or Mil issue?

Under the Radar
10-26-12, 19:44
Assuming we're talking U.S. military here, they are actually FNH M16A2/A4 lowers rebuilt into M4s by Anniston Army Depot.

ramairthree
10-26-12, 20:33
Assuming we're talking U.S. military here, they are actually FNH M16A2/A4 lowers rebuilt into M4s by Anniston Army Depot.

I knew they have made muskets for a while.
A rebuild would explain the bubba'd looking markings for the model number and auto.

kennym
10-26-12, 20:42
Would love to see video/photos.

sinlessorrow
10-26-12, 20:48
Should be interesting, post pics asap.

maddy345
10-26-12, 20:58
Pics would be great

ARonBoard
10-26-12, 21:45
Thanks for the thread. I'm very interested in the details.

everyusernametaken
10-27-12, 00:19
So these were FN-made A2 lowers with burst FCG, which were rebuilt with full-auto FCG and re-stamped with "AUTO" in place of "BURST", and "M16A2" replaced with an "M4A1" designation? And this was all done internally by Army personnel at the arsenal? I've never heard of such a thing.

interfan
10-27-12, 00:29
A Google search found this pic:
http://www.megpro.com/ar/15/fnm4.jpg

Is this the same type of over-stamping you mean?

Iraqgunz
10-27-12, 03:38
That sounds about right. I think they pulled these from the depots, restamped them and then added M4 uppers to them IIRC.

jesuvuah
10-27-12, 05:13
That marking does look botched up.

ramairthree
10-27-12, 10:49
That pic nails it

sinister
10-27-12, 15:44
We also did conversions at the AMU from M16A2s retired from recruit training. This required a "Short report of survey" on the property books so that the Army's central serial number inventory has them down in their new configuration.

We would get them from the Fort Benning Basic Training Pool that arms Infantry Center students (Basic Training Brigade, Infantry Training Brigade, Armor Training Brigade, Ranger School, lieutenant and captains' courses, etc.). As brand-new M16A4s came in they'd send a few A2s to us (as replacements for old M14s on the books) or to Anniston for storage.

We rebuilt a number into M16A4s, and two or three dozen into M4s and SPRs.

ramairthree
10-31-12, 21:58
About half a dozen guys ran these for the past week, other than some bad charging handle swaps, they ran fine.
(when not using brown follower mags)
Only bad comment is from guys that have ran regular safeties for 10, 15, 20 years or more-

Don't like the feel of the ambi safeties on our right trigger finger, when dropping mags, etc.

Submariner
11-06-12, 18:05
We rebuilt a number into M16A4s, and two or three dozen into M4s and SPRs.
What barrels (and length) did you install on the SPRs