PDA

View Full Version : High Standard; Makeover

Soso
10-26-12, 18:50
So, long story short I have a High Standard HSA-15 that has been sitting in my brothers safe since Obama became president. Wasn't really into the AR at the time but I got it cheap and there was a scare going on.

Well now I've got that itch. You know what i'm talking about. I want a dependable carbine that can be used to put meat on the table as well as keep me off a table. First thing that has to go is the barrel. I don't need a 1/2 MOA rifle. Just want to be able to engage a man sized target at 150 yards. I want either a 16 or 18 inch barrel; 1 in 8" twist. since this is a slight budget build I don't want anything crazy but better than what it has obviously. Suggestions?

Secondly a new BCG. Should I just go BCM?

And for my last question; what do I need to make the Magpul MOE fixed stock go on the rifle? It has the standard collapsible stock.

lethal dose
10-26-12, 18:56
Can you give more specs? If it's barely used, just make sure everything is staked properly, is in spec, and is lubed well. Grab a spare bolt for good measure. Have a sling and light?

Soso
10-26-12, 19:23
My apologies. They only made two at the time. a 16" and a 20".

I have the sixteen inch with the A2 carrying handle. Exact rifle pictured below.

http://rggunsny.com/OSCOMMERCE/images/High%20Standard%20HSA-15%20A2%20223%20Rem%20%205.56%20NATO%20tel%20stock.jpg

Barely used is still too much. Ran two mags through it, cleaned it, lubed it up then put her in the safe. Hasn't been fired since.

lethal dose
10-26-12, 19:37
Unless you wish to add optics, I'd leave it as is. Grab a spare bolt, sling, light, light mount, and ammo.

DeltaSierra
10-26-12, 21:58
Sorry to ask this, but have you even shot this rifle yet? Puzzled cause you say you need a new barrel already, did the old one not hit a man-sized target at 150 yards? Seems to be a need on this site to replace components on a rifle even if it hasen't broke, worn or even shot.

Well, aren't you a real comedian?

I haven't seen any respected members of this site make a habit of suggesting the replacement of parts that aren't in need of replacement...

Split66
10-26-12, 22:42
Well, aren't you a real comedian?

I haven't seen any respected members of this site make a habit of suggesting the replacement of parts that aren't in need of replacement...

Nvm that DeltaSierra, devinsdad enjoys shenanigans.

OP have you read this?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Honestly if you dont feel secure with the HS, sell it before doing a bunch of upgrades and get a proven carbine. The HS could work out fine, but as stated in the thread above it's all about what gives you a warm fuzzy.

Good luck ;)

justin_247
10-26-12, 23:27
Honestly if you dont feel secure with the HS, sell it before doing a bunch of upgrades and get a proven carbine. The HS could work out fine, but as stated in the thread above it's all about what gives you a warm fuzzy.

+1

You can get a Colt 6920 for $1000 and you can probably easily sell the High Standard on TOS. Buy lots of ammo, reliable mags, a sling, and a light, and you're good to go.

Scorpion
10-26-12, 23:38
Check over it to make sure everything is staked properly and nothing appears to be out of the ordinary, and then go run some rounds through it. If it doesn't prove itself, then sell it.

Otherwise, do what was suggested: sling, light, extra BCG (and yes, BCM is good to go).

For the MOE question: the receiver extension on that rifle is probably the commercial diameter (1.17 inches) rather than the milspec diameter (1.14 inches). Measure it, research it, and figure out what you have, so you know which stocks will fit your extension and which ones won't. If I remember correctly Magpul offers the MOE stock in both sizes.

chadbag
10-27-12, 00:39
For the MOE question: the receiver extension on that rifle is probably the commercial diameter (1.17 inches) rather than the milspec diameter (1.14 inches). Measure it, research it, and figure out what you have, so you know which stocks will fit your extension and which ones won't. If I remember correctly Magpul offers the MOE stock in both sizes.

He was asking about the MOE fixed rifle stock, so the above won't do him any good.

For the MOE fixed rifle stock

(http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/60)

you need a standard RIFLE receiver extension (buffer tube), and then a Rifle buffer and spring. You would remove the receiver extension you have completely from the gun and install new rifle RE and stock and change out buffer and spring for rifle ones.

--

fdxpilot
10-27-12, 00:47

Actually, it sounds like he wants the new MOE fixed rifle stock, which will require you to ditch your stock, receiver extension, buffer, spring and endcap. Replace it with an A2 receiver extension, rifle buffer and spring, and the Magpul stock.

Magic_Salad0892
10-27-12, 00:51
Sell that gun, and get a Colt. HS will sell quick on TOS.

Scorpion
10-27-12, 03:54
Didn't know they sold a fixed rifle MOE. I stand corrected, then.