PDA

View Full Version : are M&P VTAC sights acceptable for duty use?

masakari
10-26-12, 21:21
I have heard a few things here and there about fiber optics falling out of sights. My question is, are the VTAC fiber optic/tritium sights acceptable for duty use on an M&P45? I have an extra set and have applied clear epoxy over the fiber optic inserts as a precaution, but if they are bound to fall out someday at the worst possible time, im not sure that i want to keep them.
Thanks for the help.

Apricotshot
10-26-12, 21:27
I don't see a reason why not. The fiber optic rod isn't critical or anything. The sights are still just as functional without it. Better question to ask is, "Are ANY fiber optic rod sights good for duty use?" as all of them may fall out some day.

kmrtnsn
10-26-12, 22:05
I have a VTAC and for duty use I prefer a good set of night sights.

F-Trooper05
10-26-12, 22:25
I don't see a reason why not. The fiber optic rod isn't critical or anything. The sights are still just as functional without it. Better question to ask is, "Are ANY fiber optic rod sights good for duty use?" as all of them may fall out some day.

This.

mpardun
10-27-12, 09:37
Bought a VTAC M&P 9mm 2 years ago.

I had to have S&W replace my sights twice. Great idea, very poor execution (construction or design defect). Fiber shoots out on a regular basis. Also, tritium rods seem tiny relative to Trijicon's HD, in low light thy are somewhat hard (relatively) to acquire.

Finally swapped then out for Trijicon HD's to match my other M&P's, should have done it over a year ago.

CWM11B
10-27-12, 09:43
How old are yours? The newer ones are filled in at the top with epoxy. I heard of the issue you speak of, so I contacted Viking Tactics about it. They told me up front they had the issue with the FO falling out on early runs, so Trijicon switched to a different epoxy and they have not had the issue since. They were very helpful and forthright about the past issue. I like that in a company.

I currently own a VTAC M&P 9 and have on loan from S&W a VTAC M&P .40. The nine has a little over 500 rounds through it, but the .40 has over 2500 through it in the last two weeks. At first I did not know what to think fo them, but I really like them now. I have maxed qualification scores with it on several occasions, and everyone who has tried them seems to like them. I really do not see a reason not to use them for duty from a quality perspective. If you do not like them for subjective reasons, then by all means you should use the system you have confidence in and is a proven performer for you.

masakari
10-27-12, 09:51
How old are yours? The newer ones are filled in at the top with epoxy. I heard of the issue you speak of, so I contacted Viking Tactics about it. They told me up front they had the issue with the FO falling out on early runs, so Trijicon switched to a different epoxy and they have not had the issue since. They were very helpful and forthright about the past issue. I like that in a company.

I currently own a VTAC M&P 9 and have on loan from S&W a VTAC M&P .40. The nine has a little over 500 rounds through it, but the .40 has over 2500 through it in the last two weeks. At first I did not know what to think fo them, but I really like them now. I have maxed qualification scores with it on several occasions, and everyone who has tried them seems to like them. I really do not see a reason not to use them for duty from a quality perspective. If you do not like them for subjective reasons, then by all means you should use the system you have confidence in and is a proven performer for you.

Now that i compare pictures, mine are definitely the older version, without the epoxy filling. I have added my own like i said, but i havent been able to shoot with them yet to test. I like the idea of them, just not the risk of losing fiber optics.

Apricotshot
10-27-12, 11:23
My sights work fine, the barrel just won't group past 22 yards or so...:rolleyes:

DJK
10-27-12, 12:51
Now that i compare pictures, mine are definitely the older version, without the epoxy filling. I have added my own like i said, but i havent been able to shoot with them yet to test. I like the idea of them, just not the risk of losing fiber optics.

Where did you find the pictures to compare? I would like to see the difference. I had a set on my non-VTAC M&P and really liked them, but the front blew out shortly after I installed them. VTAC suggested that I replace the rod, which I did, but it never was as bright as the original. The rear looks like it has the epoxy coating. I ended up with Trijicon HD's .

masakari
10-27-12, 14:13
Where did you find the pictures to compare? I would like to see the difference. I had a set on my non-VTAC M&P and really liked them, but the front blew out shortly after I installed them. VTAC suggested that I replace the rod, which I did, but it never was as bright as the original. The rear looks like it has the epoxy coating. I ended up with Trijicon HD's .
New version has VTAC on the side of the rear sight
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/clasky/Pistol_Sights_1.jpg
Old does not the epoxy coating is also visible.
And here is my attempt... not as professional looking, but it seems to work fine
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-10-27_15-15-27_922.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-10-27_15-16-34_52.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-10-27_15-15-41_863.jpg

Iraqgunz
10-27-12, 14:32
I actually repaired one of the front sights when I was in Houston. The fiber optic rod had fallen out. I am not sure I would want them if that is going to happen which defeats the reason for getting them.

For now I will stick with proven night sights.