PDA

View Full Version : How to attach a Rear Receiver QD Swivel?

yashax
10-27-12, 14:30
Guys, please bare with me, as this will be the very first thing that I do on my AR. It's DDM4V7.

I understand that I need two mounts. One, on the front rail, which seems to be straight forward and the second, on the rear receiver, this is the one I have the question on.

This is what my rifle looks like:
http://www.goknows.com/IMAG0413.jpg

This is the picture of the mount:
https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/d/dd-4062-s_rearreceiverqd.jpg

The stock snaps snug, so if I add this mount, it will no longer snap to secure the stock in place.

What am I missing? I know it is something simple. What do you and how do I need to do this?

Thank you so much in advance.
Jake

Iraqgunz
10-27-12, 14:35
Have you used such a set up before? If not you are better off attaching it to the buttstock.

You will need to remove the stock, loosen the castle nut and endplate and then install the new one. If you are a novice I highly recommend you stay away from this or seek COMPETENT assistance from someone with AR experience.

yashax
10-27-12, 14:40
Have you used such a set up before? If not you are better off attaching it to the buttstock.

You will need to remove the stock, loosen the castle nut and endplate and then install the new one. If you are a novice I highly recommend you stay away from this or seek COMPETENT assistance from someone with AR experience.

Are you recommending this because of the difficulty installing or because it is a better setup?

darr3239
10-27-12, 14:54
Isn't a rear receiver sling mounting position more appropriate for a one-point sling?

AKDoug
10-27-12, 15:00
The end plate on you DD is ready to accept the QD on you sling. No need to add a new end plate.

AKDoug
10-27-12, 15:01
End plate attachment of a two point sling works. For me it's not optimal, but it works.

Kickin-Ewoks
10-27-12, 15:08
IG is completely right, if you don't have the knowledge and proper tools you could cause more problems then its worth.

There are also two detents and springs that you need to secure when removing the end plate and buffer tube. I believe Magpul makes a QD mount for the MOE stock. Midwest Industries also makes a few different QD mounts that may work on your stock.

yashax
10-27-12, 15:08
The end plate on you DD is ready to accept the QD on you sling. No need to add a new end plate.

Thank you SO MUCH!!! To funny, trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

Really appreciate it.

Jake

AKDoug
10-27-12, 15:30
Now, for the front swivel for a two point sling you have two choices. You can get a swivel receiver that clamps to a rail section or one that bolts to the tube from IWC. To mount the backer plate to the IWC QD mount can be a pain in the ass. A wooden dowel and tape can make it possible to hold it while you screw on the rest of it.

yashax
10-27-12, 16:24
Now, for the front swivel for a two point sling you have two choices. You can get a swivel receiver that clamps to a rail section or one that bolts to the tube from IWC. To mount the backer plate to the IWC QD mount can be a pain in the ass. A wooden dowel and tape can make it possible to hold it while you screw on the rest of it.

Would you recommend the one that clamps to the rail section? If so where and what side would I mount it?

My DD has pic rails on the front. Do I need to add a rail for this mount or just move one?

Hmac
10-27-12, 17:05
Are you recommending this because of the difficulty installing or because it is a better setup?

"Better" is highly subjective. I used a QD endplate attachment for one sling end for a couple of years but a year ago switched to attaching to the QD socket on the stock on the opposite side. For the time being, I like this setup "better".

http://SSEquine.net/sbrslings2.jpg

Iraqgunz
10-27-12, 17:39
Single point slings are cool if you are static on a range or you are in a job carrying a rifle/carbine that doesn't require much movement. Once you start moving with one (running, etc..) they love to whack your balls.

I personally use the Vickers Combat Sling on all of my AR's and even an AK when I was in Afghanistan.

TheJRK
10-27-12, 17:43
I used a chopstick but you could also just take off the entire MFR and install the IWC mount.

Some pics:

yashax
10-27-12, 17:49
I used a chopstick but you could also just take off the entire MFR and install the IWC mount.

Some pics:

Your looks great! How does it hold up in use? How did you install it? Can you please send me the link for it? Also, can you please send me the link for the IWC mount you are referring to?

TheJRK
10-27-12, 18:02
Your looks great! How does it hold up in use? How did you install it? Can you please send me the link for it? Also, can you please send me the link for the IWC mount you are referring to?

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-mount/

I used Loctite when I installed it so hopefully it's not going anywhere. I've tried to really yank it off when I've had the sling installed and it's held. The real test will be running it through some sort of class though.

yashax
10-27-12, 18:13
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-mount/

I used Loctite when I installed it so hopefully it's not going anywhere. I've tried to really yank it off when I've had the sling installed and it's held. The real test will be running it through some sort of class though.

I take it that I have to take the rail off to install?

Blak1508
10-27-12, 18:44
+1 for the vickers sling. I love it, I ordered 2 QD attachments from primary arms and also the vickers combat application sling. I used the rear stock mount to install 1 QD and I used the other QD port on the rear end of my V1 rail but your rail is different so I'm sure those with more experience will intervene and tell you where to mount the front sling attachment . It's a great setup. Next thing I'd do is order a BCM CH easy as hell to install and great non expensive upgrade. Next on my list is an optic , I ordered the DD aimpoint mount, now just saving up for the actual optic. Yashax I'm in the same boat you are, it's seems like your pretty new to the AR platform, these guys on here know their stuff to say the least. You seems like your doing upgrades in the order I did. :) best of luck buddy.

I'll be honest I also thought I needed to buy a QD female for the stock and then I too found out that the DD came with it lol.

Here is a picture of my AR with the sling

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/28/ehe5enu8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/28/a6y4u2ep.jpg

Also I think in the picture where you can see the whole rifle I had the sling backwards, that's fixed now duhhh...

TheJRK
10-27-12, 18:46
I take it that I have to take the rail off to install?

No, you just need to be able to hold the back plate in place while you thread the screw through.

Taking the rail off and putting it back on is extremely easy too though.

AKDoug
10-28-12, 16:27
Mine is mounted exactly the same. Chopstick, dowl, etc to hold the backing plate.