PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 Failure

kris
10-27-12, 15:02
First off, let me say that my thread is not intended to place blame on anything, or anyone other than myself. I am merely hoping to use this as a lesson learned for myself and anyone else for that matter.

I also understand that while posting pictures on the internet asking for help on a something like this will solicit different opinions on the issue. I am merely hoping that some of those out there with extensive knowledge might be able to sprinkle me with some insight on what maybe happened.

A quick history on this handgun. I purchased this Gen 3 (2008 production year) used last November from a local firearms store. While the history is unknown they said they gave it a once over and said it was good to go. Once home I cleaned and looked it over, not seeing any visible problems. Now mind you I am not a expert by any means, but I can tell if something is physically damaged.

Throughout last winter I shot 5,000 rounds during various training sessions using American Eagle 165 target ammo. Towards the end of that 5k I started to have failure to eject problems. Upon closer inspection we noticed the ejector was starting to show signs of wear and figured that was partly the problem. The firing pin safety was also marred to where I figured I would replace it as well. I ordered a factory parts replacement kit for the slide and replaced everything with the new parts, aside from the sights.

From there I shot another 600 rounds without any problems, which would have been early this summer. Through the course of the past few months I have shot an additional 300 rounds of light shooting at a indoor range. Today running some drills I put another 125 rounds through when this happened.

When I fired the casing was still in the chamber and I had to disassemble the slide to remove the casing.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00457Medium.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00456Medium.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00461Medium.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00460Medium.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00459Medium.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/kbruington/Glock/DSC00458Medium.jpg

So, does anyone have a idea on what could have caused this? Was it more one single incident, or could it have been something leading up to this? Does the damage on the frame look like it will need to be scrapped?

Thanks.

kmrtnsn
10-27-12, 15:24
Contact Glock about sending it back for a technical examination. Send that expended brass with an explanation of the circumstances. If possible send the remaining box of ammunition, or at the minimum a description of the manufacturer, product line, and lot number. Send a copy of the correspondence to the ammunition manufacturer.

Mickey
10-27-12, 15:31
Did you find the rest of your locking block?

Heavy Metal
10-27-12, 15:36
I wonder how many rounds the RSA had on it?

If you have a Gen 3 or earlier 23, you better be replacing the RSA at least every 2500 rounds!

kris
10-27-12, 15:57
Did you find the rest of your locking block?

No I didn't.

I wonder how many rounds the RSA had on it?

If you have a Gen 3 or earlier 23, you better be replacing the RSA at least every 2500 rounds!

So, upon some reading on the glockdoc website, I see this exact same problem, due to a weak Recoil Spring.

So, if that is the case the failure started before and when I replaced the parts in the slide I was already behind the power curve. That I can accept since finding a solid maintenance schedule has proven to be difficult. What is harder to accept is the fact that I put in the parts and could not recognize early signs of failure.

Heavy Metal
10-27-12, 17:23
The recoil spring likely became Tapioca Pudding and this allowed the Locking Block to be beaten till it broke.

Heavy Metal
10-27-12, 17:24
I would get a sack full of RSA's for that particular model of pistol and change every 2K rounds.

The Gen 4s are much better in this regard.

kris
10-27-12, 21:00
Contact Glock about sending it back for a technical examination. Send that expended brass with an explanation of the circumstances. If possible send the remaining box of ammunition, or at the minimum a description of the manufacturer, product line, and lot number. Send a copy of the correspondence to the ammunition manufacturer.

Is this option recommended for any specific reason, other than getting their take on the extent of the damage? Would a Glock Armorer that is local be able to provide me the same info?

Mickey
10-27-12, 21:11
Is this option recommended for any specific reason, other than getting their take on the extent of the damage? Would a Glock Armorer that is local be able to provide me the same info?

In the past after Glock evaluates your pistol, even if they find it is your fault they would occasional offer a replacement at a lower cost.

tpd223
10-27-12, 21:32
That first 5000 rounds likely did you in. You need to replace the RSA every 3000 rounds max, 2000 is more-gooder.

I have lost track of how many gen 3 Glock .40s I have worked on with broken or bent trigger and locking block pins due to weak recoil springs.

kris
10-28-12, 21:55
In the past after Glock evaluates your pistol, even if they find it is your fault they would occasional offer a replacement at a lower cost.

I would be game to pay for repairs and a discount on a new gen3 as well. :happy:

I have everything packaged up and will be sending it off tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

gunnut284
10-29-12, 14:46
It clearly needs a new locking block, new trigger pin and RSA. Probably a barrel as well though the current one might be fine if cleaned up. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest is fine. I'd send it to Glock for examination though.

kris
11-07-12, 21:18
It clearly needs a new locking block, new trigger pin and RSA. Probably a barrel as well though the current one might be fine if cleaned up. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest is fine. I'd send it to Glock for examination though.

I sent it out this week. I either shipped from the wrong place, was royally screwed, or it just plain costs a lot to ship overnight. I used FedEX and paid $88 for overnight shipping. Too bad the USPS is off limits, the quote for that if it were legal would have been about $30.

I did pick up another Glock 23 to use while this one is being repaired. I learned from the first one and promptly replaced some things.

gunnut284
11-07-12, 23:41
Yeah, FedEx is expensive. UPS was cheaper last time I used them but they can be more of a hassle to deal with. USPS is cheapest but only dealers can mail handguns.

PA PATRIOT
11-09-12, 18:03
Most shooters I know that use the Model-22 in three gun and IDPA change out the RSA ($7.95) and Locking block pin ($3.95) ever 1500rds just to be safe.

I have done the same on my 2nd Gen G-22 and have never had a issue.

kris
11-15-12, 11:33
I received my handgun back from Glock today. They replaced the frame with a complete new one, however they did not replace the barrel. They did a test fire and said it was fine, but I wonder if it will have a long term effect because of the bent edges?

Either way, pretty impressed. Not only did they replace it under warranty, but the turn around time was about eight days.

Doc. Holiday
11-15-12, 11:44
Well if the barrel ends up screwing with it, then ship it back at their expense :D

S. Galbraith
11-15-12, 11:59
As others have chimed in, it looks like a weak recoil spring issue. Some guns handle the .40S&W much better than others. Glocks have always been better in 9mm.

kris
11-15-12, 12:17
As others have chimed in, it looks like a weak recoil spring issue. Some guns handle the .40S&W much better than others. Glocks have always been better in 9mm.

Yeah, it was all replaced roughly 600 rounds before this failure.

I actually picked up another 23 to use while this was gone, as I was expecting the 8-10 weeks turnaround that I was told. I will probably keep this refurbished one and try and trade the other one for a 19 for the wife and daughter to shoot.

Something tells me that the caliber had nothing to due with this issue though, but rather the round count, unless someone wants to validate that.

Heavy Metal
11-15-12, 12:19

Gen 4's handle this much better. Spring assembly is night and day.

Animal_Mother556
11-15-12, 12:23
What about G21s? How often are you boys replacing RSAs?

Sensei
11-15-12, 12:34
What about G21s? How often are you boys replacing RSAs?

At about 2000 rounds on every pistol that I own.