PDA

View Full Version : Q?-Battle Born Rifles mfg in Reno, NV

HKdog
10-27-12, 17:28
There's a local shop in Reno that's begun manufacturing their own AR's. DI and Piston. Their lowers are billet and look good but are pricey compared to some. The shop raves about their AR build quality compared to Colt and others. One thing I noticed is that their gas key/block (on bolt) isn't staked. Shop said it was so well made that it isn't req'd. That struck me as unusual but I'm relatively new to AR's. I'm interested in knowing if anyone has experience with the Battle Born guns, quality, reliability etc.. Other guns I've been considering are the Colt 6920 and BCM Mid. I've included a link. Thanks for the assistance. There's a lot of knowledge and experience on this site and I've been sorting through it one page at a time.

http://www.battlebornusa.com/

http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/

DeltaSierra
10-27-12, 17:44
I looked at that link, and can't see what they are offering that would attract you.

The 5.56 carbine they offer has a 1in 9 twist barrel, made from who-knows-what grade of steel.

You can get a Colt 6920 for right around $1050 from Grant @ G&R Tactical, so I fail to see why you would even consider a rifle of unknown quality...

10-27-12, 20:43
Just echoing DS; wouldn't touch it.

VIP3R 237
10-27-12, 21:00
I looked at that link, and can't see what they are offering that would attract you.

The 5.56 carbine they offer has a 1in 9 twist barrel, made from who-knows-what grade of steel.

You can get a Colt 6920 for right around $1050 from Grant @ G&R Tactical, so I fail to see why you would even consider a rifle of unknown quality...

Yeah i have to agree with this. besides having a billet lower what do these rifles offer? And there is not a BCG out there that doesn't need staking on the gas keys, that is plain ignorance.

Col_Crocs
10-27-12, 21:20
I would definitely pass... Lack of specs and over-improper-use of the term milspec. Go for known quality, get a Colt.

justin_247
10-27-12, 22:38
Looks like overpriced crap.

Echoing what others hear have said, one point that caught my eye is that a "California bullet button" addition costs $50... $50! I mean, seriously? It's a $20 component.

eperk
10-28-12, 08:45
Run away. Run far far away.

Suwannee Tim
10-28-12, 09:02
......One thing I noticed is that their gas key/block (on bolt) isn't staked. Shop said it was so well made that it isn't req'd. That struck me as unusual.......

Strikes me as unusual and I'm an expert mechanical engineer and more or less knowledgeable about ARs. I'd need some further explanation on what exactly constitutes "well made". Magic screws? Magic taps to make magic tapped holes? Magic gas keys? Except I highly doubt they are making their own screws, bolt carriers or gas keys. These guys are full of shit is the more likely explanation. Demand is strong and lots of credulous people out there.

eperk
10-28-12, 09:20
Strikes me as unusual and I'm an expert mechanical engineer and more or less knowledgeable about ARs. I'd need some further explanation on what exactly constitutes "well made". Magic screws? Magic taps to make magic tapped holes? Magic gas keys? Except I highly doubt they are making their own screws, bolt carriers or gas keys. These guys are full of shit is the more likely explanation. Demand is strong and lots of credulous people out there.

It's not as much magic as it is Voodoo. You should know that being a mechanical engineer. Lol

danco
10-28-12, 15:41
Keep driving east on Moana until you pass Keitzke, turn right into the Sportmans Warehouse parking lot, go inside a buy a Colt 6920 for $1099...

rojocorsa
10-28-12, 16:17
Looks like overpriced crap.

Echoing what others hear have said, one point that caught my eye is that a "California bullet button" addition costs $50... $50! I mean, seriously? It's a $20 component.

Wow! I didn't catch that but $50!?!?! Jesus H. Christ!

Yeah, a $20 part with takes less than a minute to install. **** 'em.

HKdog
10-28-12, 16:17
I appreciate the feedback. Even though the Battle Born guns give the appearance (as well as the staff hype) that they're well built I guess it's pretty obvious to you guys that they're off track when it comes to meeting the standards. I will most likely go with the Colt 6920 sometime soon. Realize I'm new to this but I found the billet lower a plus and even though I'd never purchase/install the parts for auto, having a lower milled out the same as a military M4 rifle also accounted for a few "cool factor" points. Same with the HK type safety/fire/auto markings.Thanks, I'll keep reading and will take a look at Sportsman's Warehouse later this week.

AKDoug
10-28-12, 16:30
You want a lower the same as an M4, buy a Colt.

rojocorsa
10-28-12, 16:35
I appreciate the feedback. Even though the Battle Born guns give the appearance (as well as the staff hype) that they're well built I guess it's pretty obvious to you guys that they're off track when it comes to meeting the standards. I will most likely go with the Colt 6920 sometime soon. Realize I'm new to this but I found the billet lower a plus and even though I'd never purchase/install the parts for auto, having a lower milled out the same as a military M4 rifle also accounted for a few "cool factor" points. Same with the HK type safety/fire/auto markings.Thanks, I'll keep reading and will take a look at Sportsman's Warehouse later this week.

If you already have a lower or are planning to get one, you could always add on a BCM complete upper. They give you more flexibility than the 6920 upper.

VIP3R 237
10-28-12, 16:51

They also carry the LE6920 magpul in black or fde for $1169.99.

DeltaSierra
10-28-12, 18:51

There are dimensional differences between an M16/M4 lower and a semi-auto AR15 type lower, not to mention the legal issues that might arise from the possession of an unregistered F/A lower....

There is no benefit to the billet lower - billet lowers are nothing more than a scam, in my opinion.

HKdog
10-28-12, 19:38
pdf page showing the Battle Born line up and some specs. Going with their lower and a Colt or BCM upper might be ok?

http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/assets/images/BB-16/APB_C-1W.pdf

Suwannee Tim
10-28-12, 19:50
Looking at the PDF it does appear the gas key is not staked. Given that feature is universally regarded as a necessity it is certainly surprising. If they do have some innovative method of accomplishing the retention of those screws and given that everyone knows of that necessity one would think they would address the issue. Something like" "Unlike conventional ARs our gas key screws are retained by our patent pending sooper dooper magical retention method which is superior to or at least equal to staking." The lack of such an explanation leads me to believe they simply did not stake the keys. That leads me to believe they do not know what the heck they are doing. This could also be called a "big ole honking red flag".

DeltaSierra
10-28-12, 19:51
pdf page showing the Battle Born line up and some specs. Going with their lower and a Colt or BCM upper might be ok?

http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/assets/images/BB-16/APB_C-1W.pdf

Again, I'd have to ask why?

Why on earth do you want that lower?

For $500 you can do a whole lot better than that.

Again, a billet lower is a scam.

Let me spell it out for you real clearly...

Go to the store, buy a Colt 6920, and call it a day. If you don't want the Colt, order a complete BCM.

There is no reason whatsoever to buy a billet lower from a company with such a poor understanding of what makes a quality firearm...

HKdog
10-28-12, 20:18
OK thanks Delta Sierra, understood. Thx

eperk
10-29-12, 06:10
Billet is prettier, forged is stronger.

Magic_Salad0892
10-29-12, 12:39
Why does the Gas Block on the piston guns have a 4th position for take down?

Suwannee Tim
10-29-12, 17:44
Why does the Gas Block on the piston guns have a 4th position for take down?

So you can take it down?

Magic_Salad0892
10-29-12, 22:42
So you can take it down?

No other piston gun has that.

HKdog
12-26-12, 23:37
Bought the Colt LE6920 MP-FDE, guess I should have ordered two, this one was a Christmas gift for my son. If/when the market returns to normal I will find another for myself.