PDA

View Full Version : Daniel defense optic mount and back up sight options

Blak1508
10-27-12, 19:08
Hello everyone I am getting my Daniel Defense V1 ready to throw an aimpoint H-1 on. While I save up for the optic I figured I'll get the other stuff out of the way, so I am looking for a 1/3 co witness mount and also a set of flip up rear sights. I know DD makes a aimpoint mount specifically for the aimpoint and it's a 1/3 CW mount, does anyone have any experience with this mount? Are there others that I should be taking a look at? I have heard Larue has a couple as well as BCM. Also I am thinking that for my aimpoint I will not need or nessarly want a QD mount so that one of the main reasons I am most likely going with the DD mount. Any thoughts on this aspect of the mount?
Lastly I am looking a a set of flip-up rear sights, I know magpul has a generally good one but what other options would you guys reccomend? or is Magpul the way to go on these?
I really appreciate all the help and thank you in advance for your responses.

Redbeardsong
10-27-12, 20:14
If you don't want a QD mount, the Daniel defense is a nice, clean, simple mount. Good choice.

Magpul BUIS are fine for a budget AR build, but I wouldn't put them on a Daniel Defense. Get yourself something metal, like a Troy Flip up rear sight.

Blak1508
10-27-12, 20:31
Yeah I appreciate the idea , when it comes to my V1 I want all top quality. I will look into the Troy sight. Is there any other aimpoint mounts I should be looking at ?

F-Trooper05
10-27-12, 21:51
I like the DD mount and have no reason for QD, but I went with a LaRue mount simply because LaRue charges the same price as everyone else for a T1 Micro ($650-ish), but they include their mount with it. For me it was a no brainer.

Sanpete
10-27-12, 21:55
You'll wish you got a QD mount after not having one. There are a few very similar threads like this in the Optics & Mounts subforum. Look through those for some good feedback.

Blak1508
10-28-12, 00:46
Thanks all, I did take a quick look through that sub forum, I opened up a new thread because I was being brand specific of the Daniel defense rifle , I figured if I posted on here I was sure to find others who have a similar setup on their V1 or alike rifle and could tell me exactly what they liked or did not like.

Sanpete , what do you feel the advantages of a QD mount over a fixed one are. I do not really see me once I put the optic on, taking it off, but I could be wrong. Is there a specific QD mount you like?

And yeah I might end up with the T-1 I have seen the mount and the optic bundled for what I would end up paying for the H-1 and the mount by them self. I know the T-1 supports night vision, but other then that same optic.

ddnguyen9
10-28-12, 01:08
I went with a LaRue mount simply because LaRue charges the same price as everyone else for a T1 Micro ($650-ish), but they include their mount with it. For me it was a no brainer.

This is the same reason why I brought my T1 from LaRue. I don't really have a dire need for the QD option but it is a nice option just to have. It's a quick flip and the mount is off, then once you place it back on the optic it still keeps its zero. Can't go wrong with LaRue (there are some goodies that come with the package when you buy from them).

Toyoland66
10-28-12, 09:47
Sanpete , what do you feel the advantages of a QD mount over a fixed one are. I do not really see me once I put the optic on, taking it off, but I could be wrong. Is there a specific QD mount you like?

And yeah I might end up with the T-1 I have seen the mount and the optic bundled for what I would end up paying for the H-1 and the mount by them self. I know the T-1 supports night vision, but other then that same optic.

If you are using the rifle in a self defense or patrol rifle role QD will allow you to remove the optic if it becomes fogged up, damaged, or otherwise obscured and unusable. BUIS through the tube only works if you can see through the tube.

G&R Tactical has package deals on both the T1 and H1 with various mounts to choose from, and for a little less than Larue, plus they are a forum sponsor.

wahoo95
10-28-12, 10:11
QD is a must for me. I've had instances where the combination of rain, smoke, and fog have made it impossible to use the optic. Luckily I was able to quickly remove it and go to irons.

Give a hard look at the Larue and American Defense Mounts.....both are high quality.

Blak1508
10-28-12, 13:35
Again I cannot thank you all enough. I appreciate all the info.. I will look deeply into those options.