PDA

View Full Version : Carbine buffer in Middy?

eperk
10-28-12, 08:33
I did a search last night and got all kinds of info on this. I saw a lot of opinions but didn't get a definitive answer. My LMT Defender came with a carbine buffer and shoots just fine. I am doing a mid-length build and a carbine buffer is being shipped with my lower build kit (comes standard). I would like to use an M16 BCG and thought about using a heavier buffer. Do I really need it? I have seen all the posts from folks saying a heavier buffer is better, but not many that say why you shouldn't use a carbine buffer.
Can someone elighten me please. I know it's been beat to death here, but I need to know if I REALLY need a heavier buffer.

polymorpheous
10-28-12, 08:37
Your upper will likely run fine with a carbine buffer.
What upper are you planning on using?

eperk
10-28-12, 08:54
Your upper will likely run fine with a carbine buffer.
What upper are you planning on using?

I have a Mega forged upper and lower. Haven't decided on the barrel yet. I have been looking at this http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3279.

I like the polygonal rifling concept.

polymorpheous
10-28-12, 09:01
The upper receiver doesn't play a role in the gas system.

The barrel, however, will very much matter.

To understand the buffer's role in the operation of the AR15, you will need to research how the whole gas system works.

seb5
10-28-12, 09:01
On several middy builds I used carbine buffers initially till break in occurred. Sometimes new builds seem a little stiff and if using .223 ammo the carbine buffer in the middy works well. With 5.56 for me, the H1 buffer is the answer.

djmorris
10-28-12, 09:14
I run a carbine buffer in my 16" BCM mid-length. I can also use an H but I find that weaker/cheap-ass .223 will short stroke every now and then when using the H.

I'd stick with the carbine buffer, but that's just me.

eperk
10-28-12, 09:17
The upper receiver doesn't play a role in the gas system.

The barrel, however, will very much matter.

To understand the buffer's role in the operation of the AR15, you will need to research how the whole gas system works.

I understand that. I have a grasp on the buffer's role. The gas block seat on the barrel I'm looking to use is .750. I believe it's smaller on my LMT. That's why I question using a carbine buffer. Most posts I've read say to try different weights and use what works for you.
I guess my question is will a carbine buffer do the job as far as reliability is concerned. Felt recoil isn't that large of a concern for me. But wear and tear and reliability is.

eperk
10-28-12, 09:18
I run a carbine buffer in my 16" BCM mid-length. I can also use an H but I find that weaker/cheap-ass .223 will short stroke every now and then when using the H.

Thanks DJ

polymorpheous
10-28-12, 09:36
BCM mid-length uppers have a gas port size of .0625"
Both of mine run fine with a H buffer using 5.56 ammo and lower pressure stuff.

I couldn't tell you what a LMT carbine length upper has for a gas port, but judging from the LMT 10.5" upper I had, they are also on the smaller side. (i.e. not overgassed like a RRA, BM, DPMS, etc.)
With a H buffer and Wolf ammo, the LMT 10.5" was a single shot rifle.
It ran fine with 5.56 pressure ammo with both buffer weights.

The barrel you are eyeballing will very likely function fine with a carbine buffer and lower pressure ammo like Wolf or Brown Bear.

Most will suggest to run a few hundred rounds of 5.56 pressure ammo through it first.

ETA: You could contact Rainier and ask what the gas port diameter is on those barrels.

Failure2Stop
10-28-12, 11:57

This was my experience with a first generation BCM middie. When running NATO pressure ammo I would rarely get the bolt to lock on an empty magazine. Changed from H buffer to CAR, and it was fine ever since.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

rojocorsa
10-28-12, 16:15
This was my experience with a first generation BCM middie. When running NATO pressure ammo I would rarely get the bolt to lock on an empty magazine. Changed from H buffer to CAR, and it was fine ever since.

You mentioned 1st gen. Do you think it still applies to current generation?

All I have for the middy (that I haven't ordered yet) is a CAR buffer. I don't want to **** this up.

PA PATRIOT
10-28-12, 16:28
I run Carbine buffers in my Middies because it functions perfectly using steel cased .223 Russian ammo but if I'm shooting a lot of 5.56 then its a "H" buffer.

rojocorsa
10-28-12, 16:39
I run Carbine buffers in my Middies because it functions perfectly using steel cased .223 Russian ammo but if I'm shooting a lot of 5.56 then its a "H" buffer.

Would it be a good idea to have both a CAR and H on hand?

Failure2Stop
10-28-12, 20:49
You mentioned 1st gen. Do you think it still applies to current generation?

All I have for the middy (that I haven't ordered yet) is a CAR buffer. I don't want to **** this up.

I can't speak from an ownership position, as I am using an A5 RE in my primary carbine right now, and my primary upper is a 6920, so all I can go off of is what I have seen with student guns. From that, I have seen issues with middies with H(+) buffers when shooting low pressure ammo, so my default answer is to go with a CAR buffer.
Exceptions abound though.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
10-29-12, 03:33
I currently run an H2 with a blue Sprinco spring on my 14.5" Centurion Arms middy upper. I've also run an H with a standard carbine spring. Both worked fine using XM193 and 855 as well as Hornady TAP .223 in 55 and 75 gr.

halmbarte
10-29-12, 04:19
Wife's rifle is a BCM middy w/M16 BCG and 3oz carbine buffer. Runs like a champ too! Tula 62gr, PPU M193, Fed XM193, PMC 55gr, PPU 75gr OTM, it just chugs along like a trooper.

She's never had one FTAnything with that rifle.

H

vicious_cb
10-29-12, 04:39
I currently run an H2 with a blue Sprinco spring on my 14.5" Centurion Arms middy upper. I've also run an H with a standard carbine spring. Both worked fine using XM193 and 855 as well as Hornady TAP .223 in 55 and 75 gr.

All logic tells me that combo shouldnt work unless the gas port is huge.

eperk
10-29-12, 06:05
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stick with a carbine buffer. Although from what I've read the H and H2 buffers promote less wear on the BCG and associated parts. Is this still the school of thought?

royal
10-29-12, 06:23
Trial and error. Get yourself a CAR, H, and H2 and shoot. Every rifle is different. My BCM 14.5" mid-length seems to shoot my Hornady FMJ reloads softer with a carbine action spring and H2. However, I settled on an H buffer as the difference was negligible and, as others have mentioned, you want reliable function above all else.

Kokopelli
10-29-12, 08:28
I did a search last night and got all kinds of info on this. I saw a lot of opinions but didn't get a definitive answer. My LMT Defender came with a carbine buffer and shoots just fine. I am doing a mid-length build and a carbine buffer is being shipped with my lower build kit (comes standard). I would like to use an M16 BCG and thought about using a heavier buffer. Do I really need it? I have seen all the posts from folks saying a heavier buffer is better, but not many that say why you shouldn't use a carbine buffer.
Can someone elighten me please. I know it's been beat to death here, but I need to know if I REALLY need a heavier buffer.

I have a Bravo Company light-weight mid-length carbine and so far it's running fine. Everything is standard (as shipped) BCM.. Ron

bluecanary
10-29-12, 09:10
I run an H2 with blue spring on a DD middy. Runs good. Locks to the rear on my mags.

Failure2Stop
10-29-12, 09:12
I run an H2 with blue spring on a DD middy. Runs good. Locks to the rear on my mags.

With what ammo?