PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Sight questions

TylerD
10-28-12, 20:22
I am looking at purchasing sights for my new G17. I will carry this and shoot in classes as well as IDPA matches. With that said, I think I need something different than the stock ones. Are there any suggestions as to which brand or what to use for the above mentioned applications? I have looked through every page on the glock pic thread and only a certain few show sights.

Dollylamma
10-28-12, 20:30
Trjicon HD's. I personally like the rear U notch. Regardless make sure they are not plastic.

kenndapp
10-28-12, 20:33
i just put ameriglo i-dot pros on both my g21sf and g17 last week. i am loving them. required a little more fitting during instillation than i am used to but all and all ......... they went on relativity smooth and seem to be faster for me.

zerocool
10-28-12, 20:41
Sights are like wine and cars... Everyone has different tastes. Currently I'm really liking the Trijicon HDs, but I had to see and more importantly shoot a few sights for a bit. Even still, there could be a better sight out there for me that I haven't discovered. Like selecting a pistol, experimentation may be required to find what's best for you. Good luck!

C45P312
10-28-12, 20:50
I like either the Heine Straight 8 ...

http://www.pistolgear.com/prodimages/henie2_lg.jpg

or our Redback One Combat Pistol Sights made by 10-8 Performance ... both are priced at $110

http://www.thealaskalife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Practical-Glock-Upgrades-13.jpg

TylerD
10-28-12, 21:07
I like either the Heine Straight 8 ...

http://www.pistolgear.com/prodimages/henie2_lg.jpg

or our Redback One Combat Pistol Sights made by 10-8 Performance ... both are priced at $110

http://www.thealaskalife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Practical-Glock-Upgrades-13.jpg

With the 10-8 rear can the front be matched with the orange outlined front of the Trijicon HD?

mkmckinley
10-28-12, 21:44
Ameriglo Pro i-Dots are top notch and don't cost ast much as the trijicons.

currahee
10-28-12, 21:55
I'm a fan of Trijicon and have their tritium sights on all my primary pistols (I have a set waiting to go on the last one) and have their three dot non-tritium on my spares. I haven't compared them to many, but I do OK with the three same color dot arrangement, and they have hung in there on two guns that get used a good bit.

Trij night sights (http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Pistol-Front-Night-Sight/dp/B000LJUS4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351479388&sr=8-1&keywords=trijicon+glock)

If your serious about the IDPA I liked fiber optic sights for daylight. The dual illuminated Truglo, with fiber optic and tritium (TFO), might be a decent combination for both faster daylight and effective night shooting. My dad has these on his XD and I tried them out last night, and have shot it in the daylight... not a bad option, but I'm not sure of the durability.

Truglo TFO (http://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Glock-Hight-Hand-Sight/dp/B000VYSX04/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351481197&sr=1-3&keywords=TFO+glock)

Jim D
10-28-12, 21:58
I'm switching to Ameriglo CAPs after using the Defoor's or Warren Tacticals for a while.
http://www.officerstore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_9684_ameriglo_combative_application_pistol_cap_sights_for_glock/

I'm using fiber optics for competition, but there is no doubt in my mind that high visibility front sights are faster for me.

Rayrevolver
10-28-12, 22:24
With the 10-8 rear can the front be matched with the orange outlined front of the Trijicon HD?

I have HDs installed on a G34. I also have a 10-8 rear laying around. I was going to try the combo you ask about but the the HD rear is pretty wide & so is the HD front sight. I figure if I used the 10-8 rear there would not be much daylight left, and it would be like a precision setup.

I like the HDs. I like Warren Tacticals. I might try some mixing with the 10-8 sights I picked up.

To the OP, I don't think you want fiber optics on a carry gun. Or if you do, also paint the front sight blaze orange.

FChen17213
10-28-12, 22:27
There are a lot of good options out there for the Glock. I would probably take a hard look at all the the suggested above and get a set to try out. One other thing I would also do would be to research if each sight set shoots POA/POI or if they may require a 6 o clock hold. That can also influence your choice.

C45P312
10-28-12, 23:13
Going to my local idpa club matches allowed me to get hands on with a lot of different glock sight combinations. If that's an option for you, I would try that. You may not able to actually shoot their guns but at least you'll be able to dryfire with them in person.

Bullseye-777
10-28-12, 23:20
I installed Heinie Slant Pro sights on my G19 Gen3 and like them even
more after painting the front sight bright orange.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/Franklin-Avenue/Glock-Heinie.jpg

Voodoo_Man
10-29-12, 00:58
Ameriglo's are great sights as are the Trijicon HD's.

I carry Ameriglo Pro-I Dot's and have Trijicon's on my duty gun.

JB326
10-29-12, 01:16
Every Glock I own wears Ameriglo Pro I-Dots, the orange ones specifically. I've found them to be just as effective on my competition gun as they are my duty gun(s). They can be had for less than $70 too, which is an added bonus.

madmike3668
10-29-12, 01:31
+1 on the RB 1 Combat pistol sights. I've tried many different sights on my glocks and these are my favorite so far.

Voodoo_Man
10-29-12, 01:47
Every Glock I own wears Ameriglo Pro I-Dots, the orange ones specifically. I've found them to be just as effective on my competition gun as they are my duty gun(s). They can be had for less than $70 too, which is an added bonus.

As stated above, I have been running the Pro-I Dot for a while, carry and to classes. Just got some Defoor's on my G34, I would say accuracy is improved with the Defoor's but not as fast acquisition.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/shevon_vspec/2012/102412_sights/7.jpg

Kain
10-29-12, 15:47
I've used a number of different sights on a variety of glocks from my own guns to those of friends and others. It does come down a lot to personal preference though and what works for some might not work for others. However from what I have used I like my Trijicons and I like Ameriglos and in fact will likely be swapping my Trijicons on my 17 for a set of Ameriglo operators at some point since I do like the thinner front sight. Not to say the Trijicons are bad, but I do shoot better with a thinner front. And the Trijicon HD sights are nice as well if you want a hi-viz front but I personally fine it to be too bright. Have also shot with the XS big dots and while they do what they say they will, that golf ball up front makes precision shots a pain and after running a few IDPA shoots a friend of mine who had them on his carry pistol swapped them for Ameriglos after popping two or three hostages.

Basically if you have the chance try a few and take it from there. I have had the luck of having friends who change sights on their pistols more often then I change the oil in my car so I've gotten to play with a number of different ones.

StrikerFired
10-29-12, 16:47
Another vote here for the Trijicon HD sights. I currently have them on my EDC (M&P 9c) and a M&P 40 that I use for IDPA and classes. Easy to see and fast to pick up. I really like them so far and have been using them for about a year or so now...

citizensoldier16
10-29-12, 22:28
Yet another vote for Trijicon HDs. Have them on my G17 (comp/nightstand) and on my M&P9c (carry). No problems, very easy to pick up, and durable.

Jim D
10-30-12, 10:06
Yet another vote for Trijicon HDs. Have them on my G17 (comp/nightstand) and on my M&P9c (carry). No problems, very easy to pick up, and durable.

I personally don't like the serrated rear, or U notch in the rear (as it robs light front the sides of the front sight post), but they're almost double the cost of the Ameriglo's, and Trijicon's lead times just suck right now (6 months or so on most products).

Still a good thing to see more manufacturers offering brighter sight options though.

zander
10-30-12, 17:48
I just installed a set of TruGlo TFO sights on my Glock. I have not been able to shoot it much since I installed them so the jury is still out on them but so far they seem to be a good "best of both worlds" sight.

currahee
10-30-12, 17:56
What is the value/difference of of the Trij HDs vs the standard? Or is there a difference?

I've got the standards on several guns and haven't had a problem (shoot a good bit at night) other than once when one set wasn't installed properly (no threadlock.)

dwenslen
10-31-12, 19:30
The HD's have a U notch rear and it seems a bit more open than the "normal" trijicon sight. Also the rear tubes do not have a white outline to draw your attention to the front sight. The front sight has a large yellow (which will glow for approx 10 min) or orange (5 min glow time) when charged-the same stuff you see on watch dials. This is surrounding the front tritium dot.
It makes for nice contrast against a "white-out" back ground or if you go from outside to inside the front sight really pops.
I have the yellow HD's on my glocks and really really like them.
cheers
Derek

Guinnessman
10-31-12, 20:18
I have the Sevigny Carry sights on my Gen 4 G17 and they are by far my favorite sight. The narrow front sight (0.125), and wide rear (0.15) make a great combination for my eyes. The narrow front allows for precision, while the wide rear makes the front sight aquisition quick and crisp.

The Ameriglo I-Dots and CAPS are great sights as well. The CAP front combined with the Hackathorn rear is a great set up if you want a wider front sight.