PDA

View Full Version : Lite-Weight QD swivels?

JoeSixPack
10-28-12, 21:59
Is there such a thing as a high quality light-weight QD swivel? The ones I have are made of steel and must weigh an oz. each.

Someone should make some high-end QD swivels out of something like Titanium that weigh about 1/3 less than the steel swivels.

F-Trooper05
10-28-12, 22:23
Please tell me you didn't just post this on a forum full of grunts and door kickers...

Bluto
10-28-12, 22:27
Please tell me you didn't just post this on a forum full of grunts and door kickers...

Lol... Classic!

Really though, light weight aluminum swivels do exist, they just have a problem working with stainless steel attachment points. Would titanium have the same problem?

markm
10-29-12, 07:47
Swivels are ****ing retarded in the first place. And now the gayness is too heavy. FORK ME! Monday morning and the Short yellow bus convoy is already here????

(for what it's worth, as repulsive an idea I find this to be, someone would probably make a fortune off of this nonsense)

wahoo95
10-29-12, 08:12
Price would be crazy expensive for parts who's weight is insignificant. I mean they'd go great on a rifle made of Scandium/Titanium, however its a waste of effort on a traditional rifle.

Dano5326
10-29-12, 08:40
No doubt your average "grunt" used to waddling along with to much crap to be combat effective, wouldn't notice. Nor the "normal" AR user.

People on the cutting edge of performance, savvy users with minimalist approaches that operate along the edge of performance capabilities, shed weight whenever possible. Grams make ounces, ounces, lbs, and lbs make you stupid.

Elite athletes, alpininst, top performers, etc. critically cut weight at every opportunity. Gear has moved from 1000d, to 500d, to 330d, to even lighter hybrids for a reason.

Also, I find QD's are quieter than many attachment types. Big enough to have a market, doubtful. Of utility, certainly.

JoeSixPack
10-29-12, 18:01
Price would be crazy expensive for parts who's weight is insignificant. I mean they'd go great on a rifle made of Scandium/Titanium, however its a waste of effort on a traditional rifle.

Titanium stuff has come way down in price. I actually have a titanium spoon and fork in my bug out bag that only cost about $12.

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Titanium-Fork-Spoon/dp/B004PH3RGI

newyork
10-29-12, 18:15
Do you really need that?! You think it'll make any difference in felt weight while shooting or carrying? Seriously? It's a gimmick to help you part with more Money. Waste of time, energy and money.
1/3 less weight comes to 2/3 of an oz total for 2 swivels. Please.