PDA

View Full Version : Not very smart......

KrampusArms
10-29-12, 00:00
A bit of back story.

About 5 years ago I was hard up for some 9mm for a camping trip I was planning. I ended up buying 400 rounds off a friend for dirt cheap. The ammo he said was remanufactured reloads, & I thought nothing of it at the time, he did me an awesome solid selling me some of his stash. This was during an ammo shortage, & I couldn't find squat. I remember being relieved I got some 9mm, as plinking is part of the relaxation & enjoyment of the great outdoors. I was satisfied. Until the festivities started after arrival to our camp grounds. I got to the second magazine in my G17c, & BOOM. A wrong sounding BOOM. My hand felt like I slapped concrete, & the magazine blew out into the dirt. The ammunition my friend sold me was subpar dangerous trash. The gun & I both made it out undamaged, just startled.

I disposed of it all, & didnt shoot a single round more. Shooting ceased for the trip, no fun. I was pissed off, not at my friend mind you, as he didnt know his ammo was crap. Upon arrival home I called him up and warned him not to fire a single round of that shit he stashed away as its dangerous, it'll blow up your gun, you have a potential disaster waiting to happen. I was very sincere to him, I didnt want him to ruin his guns, or worse yet, hurt or kill himself. His response to me..... "Dude, that was a one in a million chance, it was probably your Glock, theres nothing wrong with my ammo". I repeatedly warned him to only get scoffed at.

Fast forward five years later to today.

I get a call. Its my old friend who has since moved. So I don't speak with him regularly. This is the story he tells me, it goes like this.

His Sig-Sauer P228 had been fixed of a broken ejector just last week, so him & his dad decide to give it a work out. Hmmmmmmmmmm they don't have any usable ammo, so they decide to dip into their super secret zombie stash they've been saving for the apocalypse. About 6 rounds in to magazine one, he tells me his face gets pelted with shrapnel & the SIG locks up, holy crap it was hard to clear the casing. He was greatful he had safety glasses on.

Thats where I thought the story ended. But he continues.

So he decides to run another mag & TRY AGAIN........ YES NO JOKE. 3 rounds in & BOOM it went! He said it was loud, shrapnel hitting his face, & SIG locks up........... AGAIN.

I tell him "WTF were you thi.... ......................." but I get cut off mid sentence & his tale goes on, to my sheer & utter disbelief....

SO thats when his dad steps in. He gets the KBed brass out, LOADS ANOTHER MAG, & half way through, you guessed it, booooom. Part of the plastic grip blows off the gun, locking it up, his face as well, blasted by shrapnel, & they FINALLY realise holy crap & THEN STOP!!!!

HA HA HA!!! I can not believe how careless they were. Im shocked by the stupidity. Does anybody here know much about the P228? How strong a design is it? It supposedly is still ok to the naked eye according to them, but I have my suspicions something would be permanently damaged at least. Whats worse, is I remember them saying its a more desirable west german example.

Anyways, that sums it up. Pretty stupid I thought. He did end up telling me my warnings had merit & that I was right. NO S#$T man!

Packman73
10-29-12, 01:00
Momma always said stupid is as stupid does...

AKDoug
10-29-12, 01:10
My daddy always said if you're going to be dumb you have to be tough.

Iraqgunz
10-29-12, 02:07
A few lessons here;

1. Darwin is alive and well.

2. Never buy or use ammo of questionable origin unless it's life or death.

3. Some people need to learn the hard way.

NWPilgrim
10-29-12, 02:45
They should run a few more mags of that ammo through it just to be sure. Could have been a fluke.
:sarcastic:

Unbelievable. Impossible to comprehend that line of thinking after their gun spat shrapnel at them multiple times. Good warning that people can be dumber than one can possibly imagine.

Atchcraft
10-29-12, 09:22
I think that's natures way of culling the heard.

markm
10-29-12, 09:35
I applaud them for keeping in the fight! :D

KrampusArms
10-29-12, 10:06
That whole incident with the Glock, & my friends ammo taught me a lesson. This was before I was privy to the whole "gun show reload" common sense. I wasn't very aware of the dangers back then, & what I later discovered after research, is the warnings from Glock about using reloads. Due to chambers not being fully supported. You bet your back side I use only fresh factory now.

I know we can't know for sure how the P228 fared without examination ourselves, but how strong is the design? What are the odds it made it out unscathed? I bet somethings cracked, peened etc. Anybody know the ins & outs of Sig Sauer? Is it an aluminum framed weapon?

S. Galbraith
10-29-12, 10:37
A bit of back story.

About 5 years ago I was hard up for some 9mm for a camping trip I was planning. I ended up buying 400 rounds off a friend for dirt cheap. The ammo he said was remanufactured reloads, & I thought nothing of it at the time, he did me an awesome solid selling me some of his stash. This was during an ammo shortage, & I couldn't find squat. I remember being relieved I got some 9mm, as plinking is part of the relaxation & enjoyment of the great outdoors. I was satisfied. Until the festivities started after arrival to our camp grounds. I got to the second magazine in my G17c, & BOOM. A wrong sounding BOOM. My hand felt like I slapped concrete, & the magazine blew out into the dirt. The ammunition my friend sold me was subpar dangerous trash. The gun & I both made it out undamaged, just startled.

I disposed of it all, & didnt shoot a single round more. Shooting ceased for the trip, no fun. I was pissed off, not at my friend mind you, as he didnt know his ammo was crap. Upon arrival home I called him up and warned him not to fire a single round of that shit he stashed away as its dangerous, it'll blow up your gun, you have a potential disaster waiting to happen. I was very sincere to him, I didnt want him to ruin his guns, or worse yet, hurt or kill himself. His response to me..... "Dude, that was a one in a million chance, it was probably your Glock, theres nothing wrong with my ammo". I repeatedly warned him to only get scoffed at.

Fast forward five years later to today.

I get a call. Its my old friend who has since moved. So I don't speak with him regularly. This is the story he tells me, it goes like this.

His Sig-Sauer P228 had been fixed of a broken ejector just last week, so him & his dad decide to give it a work out. Hmmmmmmmmmm they don't have any usable ammo, so they decide to dip into their super secret zombie stash they've been saving for the apocalypse. About 6 rounds in to magazine one, he tells me his face gets pelted with shrapnel & the SIG locks up, holy crap it was hard to clear the casing. He was greatful he had safety glasses on.

Thats where I thought the story ended. But he continues.

So he decides to run another mag & TRY AGAIN........ YES NO JOKE. 3 rounds in & BOOM it went! He said it was loud, shrapnel hitting his face, & SIG locks up........... AGAIN.

I tell him "WTF were you thi.... ......................." but I get cut off mid sentence & his tale goes on, to my sheer & utter disbelief....

SO thats when his dad steps in. He gets the KBed brass out, LOADS ANOTHER MAG, & half way through, you guessed it, booooom. Part of the plastic grip blows off the gun, locking it up, his face as well, blasted by shrapnel, & they FINALLY realise holy crap & THEN STOP!!!!

HA HA HA!!! I can not believe how careless they were. Im shocked by the stupidity. Does anybody here know much about the P228? How strong a design is it? It supposedly is still ok to the naked eye according to them, but I have my suspicions something would be permanently damaged at least. Whats worse, is I remember them saying its a more desirable west german example.

Anyways, that sums it up. Pretty stupid I thought. He did end up telling me my warnings had merit & that I was right. NO S#$T man!

I've been using a Sig P228 since 1995. They are fairly durable, and will handle +P and +P+ ammo just fine. However, overpressure reloads will destroy any gun. I'd say the Glock is a little stronger in that regard.

Never buy remanufactured ammo, or reloads from anyone. Reloading is an art, and the quality and level of safety depends on the artist.

10-29-12, 10:53
I've seen the results of stupid reloading. A local shop used to keep examples. Like the the result of some guy reloading for his .44 magnum. Dipping the case in a bowl of gunpowder, topping it off and forcing a bullet in, instant hand grenade.

markm
10-29-12, 10:59
That whole incident with the Glock, & my friends ammo taught me a lesson. This was before I was privy to the whole "gun show reload" common sense. I wasn't very aware of the dangers back then, & what I later discovered after research, is the warnings from Glock about using reloads. Due to chambers not being fully supported. You bet your back side I use only fresh factory now.

Reloads are fine in glocks. Bad loads are bad in any gun.

Urban_Redneck
10-29-12, 11:02
I'd like to think I'm smart enough never to give my # to someone that stupid. Every now and then, reality reminds me I'm not.

:v:

Cutshaw
10-29-12, 14:38
I hope they didn't trash the ammo. I'm sure the next magazine will be just fine... :p

Rattlehead
10-29-12, 14:45
Momma always said stupid is as stupid does...

Lol

A few lessons here;
2. Never buy or use ammo of questionable origin unless it's life or death.

Out of the four or so double charges I've shot, two were random 'range pickups'.

Lesson - don't shoot free ammo you find on the ground at the range.

Rattlehead
10-29-12, 14:47
I applaud them for keeping in the fight! :D

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FIGHT!"

StrikerFired
10-29-12, 18:34
I have to say it, I've been stupid and pick up range freebies and shot them. I do believe that I'm stopping that practice and will just pull them for componets for later use...