PDA

View Full Version : Glock Fixed It! Gen 4 G17 Part 2 (Video)

Quiet Riot
10-29-12, 06:15
If you remember my thread detailing the appearance of my BTF problem (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114235), I sent my Gen 4 G17 to Glock on their dime, and they got it back to me in exactly one week. They replaced every internal part, changing the #2 "dipped" extractor to a #3 "dipped" extractor. The 30274 ejector and 042 RSA that came in the pistol were replaced with the same part numbers.

As you will see in the video the ejection isn't perfect, but it isn't hitting me in the face. The slow motion comparison of the old ejection to the new ejection is pretty interesting, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsPgOnubps

While I'd rather the kind of ejection I was experiencing when I first got this pistol, I will take what I've got now over BTF twice every magazine.

markm
10-29-12, 07:44
This is just a sad situation. For glock to take the G17 and fuXor it up is inexcuseable.

Cosmo M3
10-29-12, 08:38
"OMG it's not AS shitty as before!"

Quiet Riot
10-29-12, 08:42
"OMG it's not AS shitty as before!"

:D That sums it up, but I have yet to see any awards given for "Consistent Ejection Pattern." As long as it does not fail to cycle and as long as it does not eject hot brass into my face, I'm happy.

G34Shooter
10-29-12, 10:36
I can mail you my #3 marked extractor that still allowed BTTF :blink:

Quiet Riot
10-29-12, 17:32
I can mail you my #3 marked extractor that still allowed BTTF :blink:

Not sure if serious, but that would be an interesting experiment. I plan to run a thousand or more rounds through this pistol "as is" just to see if any ejection problems develop. After that, I might try to change out one part at a time to see if I can identify one part as the source of the problem.

If things are still hunky dory in 1k rounds, I might get back in touch with you to see if you really wanted to try this swap out.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
10-29-12, 17:46
Not sure if serious, but that would be an interesting experiment. I plan to run a thousand or more rounds through this pistol "as is" just to see if any ejection problems develop. After that, I might try to change out one part at a time to see if I can identify one part as the source of the problem.

If things are still hunky dory in 1k rounds, I might get back in touch with you to see if you really wanted to try this swap out.

You beat me to the punch. I wanted to say that I hope your G17 stays this way and doesn't develop the dreaded BTF problem again. I guess if it doesn't, that would suggest many of the issues stem from the replaced parts. I want to get back into my sorely missed 9mm Glocks but I'm afraid of buying any with so many issues reported. I regret selling my gen 3 guns when I moved agencies but would love to get some gen 4s if the issue(s) are fixed.

JHC
10-29-12, 19:00

Another good vid thanks!

Your fixed Gen 4 ejects about as well as any of the . . . oh around twenty Gen 1, 2, 3, and 4 we've had here since about '91. They don't drop them all into a coffee can like a perfectly setup 1911. Good luck.

Jaysop
10-29-12, 19:26
My gen 3 19 had the same issues. I sent it back to glock and they swaped the ejector.
Since I got it back ive had pretty consistant ejection patterns. A little hard to tell in an indoor range but nothing to the face or not in the general 2-430 direction.
I hope yours as well as mine hold up.

Quiet Riot
10-30-12, 08:43
Another good vid thanks!

Your fixed Gen 4 ejects about as well as any of the . . . oh around twenty Gen 1, 2, 3, and 4 we've had here since about '91. They don't drop them all into a coffee can like a perfectly setup 1911. Good luck.

That's interesting to know. Funny thing is, my Gen2/3 FrankenG20 and my Gen 4 G23 eject pretty consistently. Plus, that Gen 4 G17 also ejected pretty consistently until that day it went all BTF on me. :mad:

Nephrology
10-30-12, 10:58
All of my Gen 3 glocks give fairly inconsistent ejection, especially with the weaker 115gr 9mm FMJs. That said I only got BTF when the recoil spring assembly on my G17 and g19 began to go belly up. A replacement spring fixed it for me.