PDA

View Full Version : Safety devices deactivation

TiroFijo
10-29-12, 12:42
Gentlemen, please let me ask:

How is the current legal environment in the USA for a professional gunsmith regarding a deactivation of a secundary/redundant safety device in a pistol?

For example, disabling the FP safety in a S80 colt, pinning the GS in a 1911, of removing the magazine safety in a high power.

Does anyone does it anymore?

For selected customer only?

For competition guns only?

Does the owner has no sign a document or something?

Or never?

Obiwan
10-29-12, 17:39
I actually got kicked off a C&R forum for asking how hard it was to remove the mag disconnect from a BHP :D

(notice how I did not call it a safety)

I was treated like a (future) felon because I wanted to do what so many others had done

I would not get your legal advice from the intrawebz, but as long as the smith had a signed work order from the customer I think he is covered

If the customer has a brain in his/her head he would not sell the weapon without written disclosure

But in general, I am a big fan of not buying a weapon if it has a "safety" device you do not want

Anomic
10-29-12, 18:17
Ive had gunsmiths
Conver series 80-->70 (remove fps)
Disable o/u shotguns safety that automatically engage on guns opening
Have bought a remington 1100 "competition trigger group" that had safety removed/hole pined
My trapgun didnt even come with a safety

A carry/field gun i would probably want to keep all factory safeties besides dumb ones like a fps or mag disconnect

hill
10-30-12, 15:26
Removing and replacing the litigated "safties" you mentioned are really quite simple and can be done at home with little effort...

TiroFijo
10-31-12, 06:51
Removing and replacing the litigated "safties" you mentioned are really quite simple and can be done at home with little effort...

I know, I just want to know how often and under which conditions (if any) professional gunsmiths perform this work.

El Cid
10-31-12, 12:55
I know, I just want to know how often and under which conditions (if any) professional gunsmiths perform this work.

I imagine it will be different for each smith/shop. You will just have to contact them and ask. I was instructed a few years ago that I should say I wanted my grip safety "sensitized" - not deactivated. It still functions but barely and I no longer have an issue of it failing to disengage when wearing gloves.

If that's not an option I'd get Novak's "Answer" backstrap. It is a single piece that replaces the GS and MSH. It does away with the GS rather than disabling it. Can't comment on the series 80 FPS.

TiroFijo
10-31-12, 14:38
I see Novak offers "the answer" package, that not only removes the GS but also changes the S80 parts to S70 style:

http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/1911/answer.html

I also see that C&S and Robar do trigger work on hi-powers that remove the magazine safety.

It seem is not that a big issue as I thought.