PDA

View Full Version : New guy with first AR build. Thoughts?

Sagara09
10-29-12, 13:02
I have been contemplating the idea of building an AR for the past couple of years. I have always wanted one and then the idea of actually piecing one together came to mind soon there after. However, money was low at the time. Now, money is still tight so I went with the best I could afford. Total spent was $1k plus or minus a couple of hundred.

Here is what I have done.
This is my first AR build. It was a LOT easier than I expected.

Upper: BCM 16" Carbine
Lower: Spikes Tactical
Parts Kit: Daniel Defense
Bolt Carrier: BCM
Charging handle: Gunfighter-Medium
Buffer: BCM H2
Buffer tube: BCM Mil Spec
Stock: Magpul CTR
Rear Site: Troy Industries Battle sight
Handguards: Standard
Grip: Magpul MIAD grip
Sling: Troy VTAC padded sling

Parts that will be added once the rifle is zeroed in and I can fire a decent group:
DD Omega 7
Forward grip (Brand unknown)
DD QD sling attachment points.

Feel free to tell me where I could have done better and stayed within my price range? Critics are welcome.

Pics: (excuse IPhone 5 pics. DSLR was stolen)
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/Sagara009/50D5B09C-7129-48DD-8B3A-128205A23081-1905-000000DD0E57E3EE.jpg
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/Sagara009/2A9E5F3C-9679-4F63-98BE-744787538CF5-1905-000000DC16A4031D.jpg

DamierDown
10-29-12, 13:15
Sounds solid. DD parts, BCM , Spikes. All good to me

TehLlama
10-29-12, 14:17
It's GTG where it needs to be.

fallenromeo
10-29-12, 15:05
looks good and your parts are good too. You might catch some crap for the spikes lower here, not a lot of people are big fans of Spike. But as long as the lower is in spec, it is fine.

markm
10-29-12, 15:14
You can't go wrong with a spider. :p

Col_Crocs
10-29-12, 16:22
Solid build.
Is this your first AR or just your first build? i ask because if it is your first AR, I'd skip the parts you mentioned adding until you a get good few rounds through it.

Blazingace
10-29-12, 17:44
Very nice. Hits all the right points for M4C it would seem.

ComeNTakeIt
10-29-12, 22:23
Looks great, all the right parts in all the places.

Amicus
10-30-12, 00:17
DD Omega handguards have QD attachment points machined at the rear of the side rails.

You can skip that part expense, unless you want the attachment somewhere else.

Sagara09
10-30-12, 01:20
Thank you for the compliments and some small tips.

This is my first build and AR. I have experience with the AR but not much. I plan on putting a thousand rounds or so down range before I alter any more of the rifle. I want to become familiar with its characteristics before I attempt to change the way I manipulate the rifle.

Sticks
10-30-12, 05:36
Take a class or two, get a quality RDS, and shoot the crap out if it.

Aegis
10-30-12, 14:02
Echoing everyone else here.

Congrats on a good solid build. Your choice quality of your components should serve you for a long time.

Keep it simple and shoot it before hanging the world off of it.

Light is right!

Sagara09
10-30-12, 18:43
Echoing everyone else here.

Congrats on a good solid build. Your choice quality of your components should serve you for a long time.

Keep it simple and shoot it before hanging the world off of it.

Light is right!

Thank you.

I plan on firing a few hundred or so rounds before adding anything thing else.

Right now I am looking at an Aimpoint optic but that is much further down the road.

Moonlight Again
10-30-12, 19:16
Nice rifle Sagara! You won't go wrong at M4c leaning heavily on DD and BCM. Actually, you won't go wrong period leaning heavily on DD and BCM. There's not much love for Spike's here, but if the lower's in spec (and it sounds like it is), I'd be happy with it.

I've fallen out of love with rails. I like the sturdiness of a fixed front sight, and with Magpul MOE handguards I can mount all the crap I want to, pretty cheaply, and pretty securely. (I think free floating the barrel is an advantage, but a marginal one.)

Enjoy shooting the crap out of it!

polymorpheous
10-30-12, 19:22
Why do you need the rail?

Buy a light and red dot.

Sagara09
10-30-12, 19:43
The RIS is not needed. It is just something I want to do. I like having options. Hence getting rid of a PTR-91 and going with an AR15. Not to mention cost of ammunition.

I am not a fan of laser sights and lights. At this point, I want to focus on weapon manipulation. Thus I am looking at various compensators. But the A2 will work for now.

Aegis
10-30-12, 19:51
You're on the right track.

Get comfortable with it and good with it, then add RDS if needed.

Grab a bore guide and a 1 piece coated or brass cleaning rod and take care of it.

Spend your money on mags, ammo, and a good class (Several on the training section come to mind)

polymorpheous
10-30-12, 22:04
If you plan on the rifle playing a defensive role, then a white light is mandatory.
If it is destined to be a range toy, get whatever is clever.

Sagara09
10-30-12, 22:07
I have the DVDs that came with the upper. The one by Travis Haley and the other by Pat Robertson. I have watched them both and will watch them a few more times.

I have a 941 for home defense. Not ideal for a cc weapon but its reliable. I also need to get my shotgun back from my dad sometime. If all else fails, I have an m91/30.

Sticks
10-31-12, 05:05
... If all else fails, I have an m91/30.

A wee bit overkill unless you live on a farm and your nearest neighbor is a mile away.

Sagara09
10-31-12, 06:59
Only has a last resort. But I don't think I would ever need it unless I needed something for hunting my own food. That's a worst case scenario though. Hopefully, I won't ever need a rifle for self defense.

Moonlight Again
10-31-12, 09:53
I have the DVDs that came with the upper. The one by Travis Haley and the other by Pat Robertson.

He he! Umm, Pat Rogers, I think. (The idea of Pat Robertson with an M4 is, umm, disconcerting.)

Sagara09
10-31-12, 14:38
He he! Umm, Pat Rogers, I think. (The idea of Pat Robertson with an M4 is, umm, disconcerting.)

HAHA! I couldnt remember his last name when I typed this up last night. Twas at work. I may get to go shooting sometime this week. I am ecstatic about being able to put a few rounds down range.

Amicus
10-31-12, 14:41
Only has a last resort. But I don't think I would ever need it unless I needed something for hunting my own food. That's a worst case scenario though. Hopefully, I won't ever need a rifle for self defense.

In case you haven't seen it, Mosin-Nagant humor:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Sagara09
11-08-12, 02:16
I think I am going to do a few more upgrades.... I went ahead and bought a DD Omega 7.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/Sagara009/47587811-E8DE-4A7D-AFEE-A447C96F6011-6842-0000038958E622A5.jpg

Andrew Jackson
11-09-12, 15:35

You will donate to the 700 Club or else! :D

Great build you got there. 2 things though. Bring the BUIS all the way back on the rail. It will help in aiming.

The next thing, and this is very minor. It is in regards to the DD hammer. If you ever plan on using a .22 conversion kit your going to have to replace the hammer as they use a notched hammer and not a rounded one. Not a problem if you don't care about .22 abilities. Personally I have not gotten a .22 upper/conversion kit yet myself, but it is something to keep in mind.

Otherwise really nice weapon.

Also, it is funny, Spikes is the devil here. I've noticed it for years (happened first time the anointed one was elected.), but personally I love Spikes. They are local (well same state), provide top of the line stuff at a great price (well until recently, now they seem to have raised prices BUT a lot could be due to the economy/parts availability/inflation another thread in another section), and quite frankly have offered very interesting stuff very few others are doing. My last build ended up all Spikes because they just offer what I wanted in that build, the only exception being I didn't get the hammer forged barrel I intended on getting because I just got a great deal on an upper at a gun show I couldn't pass up.

Sagara09
11-10-12, 00:00
Thanks! I am dying to fire a few rounds. Perhaps this weekend.

jbasas13
11-10-12, 13:15
looks good and good choice on your parts

currahee
11-10-12, 13:35
I think a railed forearm is an freaking waste, especially non floated & you aren't gonna attach anything to it. You basically paid money to add some weight and make your grip less comfortable.

Should have saved for an optic and light and spent every extra dime on ammo and mags

I liked the first picture

Sagara09
11-10-12, 14:39
I think a railed forearm is an freaking waste, especially non floated & you aren't gonna attach anything to it. You basically paid money to add some weight and make your grip less comfortable.

Should have saved for an optic and light and spent every extra dime on ammo and mags

I liked the first picture
It actually feels more comfortable than the standard. It also weighs a very minute amount less. The DD Omega 7 is a free float as well. Plus I never said I was finished did I? So essentially I did the exact opposite of what you are saying it does. I applaud your reading skills.

Money is NOT an issue. Just me wanting to save it is. I am doubling up on bills so hopefully I can get a project car finished or buy a third. Being young and single helps out a lot!

currahee
11-10-12, 16:40
It actually feels more comfortable than the standard. It also weighs a very minute amount less. The DD Omega 7 is a free float as well. Plus I never said I was finished did I? So essentially I did the exact opposite of what you are saying it does. I applaud your reading skills.

Money is NOT an issue. Just me wanting to save it is. I am doubling up on bills so hopefully I can get a project car finished or buy a third. Being young and single helps out a lot!

I love a guy who asks what people think of their rifle and then get all defensive.

How many rounds did you put through it each way (and from what positions) to come to the conclusion that the railed fore-arm is more comfortable?

I'm sorry I interpreted your statement about "money being tight" as you needing to save money.

Sagara09
11-10-12, 16:46
I love a guy who asks what people think of their rifle and then get all defensive.

How many rounds did you put through it each way (and from what positions) to come to the conclusion that the railed fore-arm is more comfortable?

I'm sorry I interpreted your statement about "money being tight" as you needing to save money.

No rounds have been fired through this one yet. I have fired the Sig M400 and friends DPMS (Not sure which model) with standard handguards. The Omega 7 is thinner towards the aft of the rifle and the rubberized covers allow me to get a better grip on the rifle as opposed to the standard. More force applied is still more force applied. What is your experience with the Omega 7, out of curiosity?

Moonlight Again
11-10-12, 20:30
Don't let him get you down, man. He's just arguing personal preferences, and they're . . . personal.

In a world full of people who're buying Bushmasters and DPMS, he's giving you shit about putting a Daniel Defense forearm on your Bravo Company/Daniel Defense rifle?

Well all righty then.

MIDGAPATRIOT
11-17-12, 13:42
As everyone else has said, nice looking rifle!

MIDGAPATRIOT
11-17-12, 13:44
I have the DVDs that came with the upper. The one by Travis Haley and the other by Pat Robertson. I have watched them both and will watch them a few more times.

I have a 941 for home defense. Not ideal for a cc weapon but its reliable. I also need to get my shotgun back from my dad sometime. If all else fails, I have an m91/30.

That would be awesome. :D