PDA

View Full Version : Better cheek: ASC-L or STR?

Notlongago
10-29-12, 13:28
Has anyone here shot both? Whats the opinion? Going by looks, it appears the STR would have a bit better cheek weld due to it being wider, but thats just a guess.

thanks.

BufordTJustice
10-29-12, 15:16
Haven't shot the ACS-L. I have two STR's (one on my wife's gun and one on mine) and they feel identical in terms of cheek-weld to my old LMT Crane SOPMOD stock.

Looking at the top view for both of the stocks in your question, I don't see how they could feel the same. The ACS-L appears to be more of an "expanded CTR" cheekweld in my mind. Again, no personal experience with the ACS-L yet.

rojocorsa
10-29-12, 17:27
No experience with ACS, but I have an STR. They look the same to me and I'm willing to be that if there is any actual difference, that it's all marginal and probably a non issue.

Here is exhibit A however:

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%206/IMG_0003-A-1200-Stick.jpg

M4Fundi
10-29-12, 17:34
It is 1/3 stock, 1/3 face and 1/3 whichever one you have on your rifle. There is no stock that has a better cheek weld than another stock! It is preference and nothing more...

jet66
10-30-12, 19:43
No STR here, but I have an ACS-L and an VLTOR EMOD. The STR looks (is) wider because it has the storage tubes, where the ACS-L does not. The EMOD has the full-width, having the storage tubes. I just put a few hundred rounds through both rifles earlier today, and the cheek weld of the ACS-L was every bit as positive as the full-width EMOD, as far as I could practically tell. The pitch and 'flat' of the cheek area felt pretty darn close between the two. By way of comparison, the CTR on my other carbine doesn't feel as sure/solid as either.

nimdabew
10-30-12, 21:12
It is 1/3 stock, 1/3 face and 1/3 whichever one you have on your rifle. There is no stock that has a better cheek weld than another stock! It is preference and nothing more...

Thank you. I hate the cheek weld of these "enhanced" cheek weld business. I like the CTR the "best" because it helps me index my cheekbone and jaw against the stock. I don't feel the same with these long sloping cheek pads. I wish someone would come out with cheap battery storage that attaches to rails and fits in that useless space between rails. That would be awesome.

sinlessorrow
10-30-12, 22:32

Yep, I find the cheek weld on the CTR to be the absolute best there is. Others would disagree so its very subjective and you really need to try the different ones.

M4Fundi
10-30-12, 23:38
I have (IIRC) 3 STR, 2 ACS, 3 CTR and do NOT have the ACS-L.

All of these stocks are so fantastic I feel spoiled rotten using any of them after having been issued a Para FAL as my work rifle. The strength and lockup in the Para FAL is excellent, cheek weld and squared receiver back to the nose not so excellent.

I have more time on the CTR and for some reason they are still most intuitive for my face. I am using the STRs the most now trying to see if it going to be a more "versatile" choice. I am disappointed there is no way to run a sling's webbing thru the STR and ACS as I much prefer that. I do not like the QD spot on the CTR for multiple reasons.

I think the width and shape of the ACS-L which I do not have looks like what I would "guess" would be ideal, but it is splitting hairs and for the extra size and wt I would prefer the option of tubular compartments. Its all just juggling compromises. For "me" it kinda like carrying an ALICE pack for years and then going to REI and trying on a 20 packs and realizing they ALL feel great! The kit choices we have these days are pure luxury;)

The ACS stocks were to test out for rifles to be used from the prone where the length and wt would not really interfere and the wider cheek weld would aid in reducing head/neck fatigue for long sessions behind the glass. At this point I think the STR with the thicker butt pad (only reason for the thicker pad is for mortaring protection which Robb Jensen taught me) is the most versatile for "me". I will probably stick with CTR and STR until one of them proves to work better.

Buy a couple of them (CTR, STR, etc.) and buy a VTAC and a VCAS slings some QD swivels, Mash Hooks, HK hooks and spend time tweaking, swapping and learning till figure out what works for "you".

You just can't always read the literature on this and make the best decision. At some point the STR's wider cheek weld might win out or its battery compartments might prove invaluable or the CTR's ability to lace your sling thru the stock might prove to be the deal winner. I might keep them ALL:p

Magpul... love you guys! Thanks for the great products and options!

jet66
10-31-12, 05:15
And don't take my comment on the CTR as 'it's bad,' because it's actually my favorite 'all around' stock at the moment. For 'heads up' moving and shooting with both eyes open at closer range, I prefer it. I just find that 'SOPMOD angle' cheek surface faster to get comfortable with and my shots to be more consistent when using a scope or trying to be more precise with irons/RDS at a longer distance.

ajunks
10-31-12, 06:56
Love my str it fits ME well.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

10-31-12, 11:55
I've used both the CTR and currently STR. To me it's a toss up between the two. As always a weapon is nothing more than a tool pick which ever one best fits your need and intended purpose. Have no experience with the ACS-L but it looks like a good pick as well.

ra2bach
10-31-12, 11:56
Thank you. I hate the cheek weld of these "enhanced" cheek weld business. I like the CTR the "best" because it helps me index my cheekbone and jaw against the stock. I don't feel the same with these long sloping cheek pads. I wish someone would come out with cheap battery storage that attaches to rails and fits in that useless space between rails. That would be awesome.

with the Emod and some other VLtor stocks you can remove the storage tubes if that's a bother but I don't because I prefer having added weight at the rear rather than the front of a rifle. the only thing I add up front (other than light) is a small bottle of lube in the VFG...

JJay03
11-08-12, 10:52
I just got an str today and trying to decide if I made a good choice over the ctr. Only thing I dont really like is the added weight over the moe. I know its not much but its noticeable.