PDA

View Full Version : So many flavors

racedad70
10-29-12, 14:10
My first post, but have been lurking and reading here for a while. Bought a Colt LE6920MP-R a few weeks ago and want to get a decent RD. I have looked at a TRS-25 on the lower spectrum and the Aimpoint on the upper spectrum. Not sure what Aimpoint to focus on because of all the models they have. Recommendations would be appreciated. My use will be primarily to site it in, run a couple hundred rounds through it and put it up in case things ever go south.

TriumphRat675
10-29-12, 14:17
Good rifle choice. Aimpoint PRO is the best bang for your buck on the optic side.

Shame to leave that rifle sitting in the closet though. Society isn't likely to collapse soon, but shooting is fun - go take a class to learn how to use the rifle and enjoy!

markm
10-29-12, 14:19
For me the Aimpoint C3 was the optimal balance of price and utility.

A cheapo Red Dot that will have a dead battery when I need it is no good, and an expensive t1/H1 aimpoint is more money than I want to spend for a limited use sight...

The Aimpoint Pro is a good value too... but if you end up changing the Mount to something with a lower 1/3 co-witness, you don't end up realizing any savings.

C3 and an ADM or Wilcox mount is a good solution.

racedad70
10-29-12, 14:29
Good rifle choice. Aimpoint PRO is the best bang for your buck on the optic side.

Shame to leave that rifle sitting in the closet though. Society isn't likely to collapse soon, but shooting is fun - go take a class to learn how to use the rifle and enjoy!

Thanks for the input, I have been shooting the AR platform for about 24 yrs, but not my personal one. I have never been assigned to a combat unit, so the high end optics where not an option. Only irons.

camoman
10-29-12, 17:31
I have no exp with a pro, but I have a comp m3, and love it. I also own a trs25 and, while for the money it isn't bad, it is by no means something I would want to depend on when needed. I have gone through 2 batteries in 2 years with it which is kind of weird, considering I hardly use it.

TriumphRat675
10-29-12, 17:37
Thanks for the input, I have been shooting the AR platform for about 24 yrs, but not my personal one. I have never been assigned to a combat unit, so the high end optics where not an option. Only irons.

Then you don't need me telling you to go practice ;).

Just FYI, Larue Tactical's website tends to have decent package deals on their mounts and optics.

racedad70
10-29-12, 19:01
Thanks guys, the models mentioned will help a great deal on my search. Just have to decide if I want to drop 400 or 600 bucks for the optics. Just ordered a SSA triger for it, so will see how that works out.
Thanks again.

FlyingHunter
10-29-12, 20:40
First...welcome aboard. I would recommend running the iron sights until you can drop the cash for an Aimpoint. Several models are mentioned in the above thread...all are good. They work.

shua713
10-29-12, 20:53
I can not compare red dots as I own only one. I will however let you no that I have been very happy with the Aimpoint comp m4. It has a 2 moa dot. I have only had it for about 2 years, but it is still on its first AA battery. The manual says that the battery should last a little over 8 years continuously on.

Dirknar
10-31-12, 21:29
I just got a brand new aimpoint h1 with a adm lower 1/3 mount for 560$ shipped, from ebay.

Then i saw that cabelas has the H1's on sale right now for 449$... Look into that model

VIP3R 237
11-01-12, 20:58
I don't think you can beat the aimpoint pro right now, its has a 2 moa dot, a very long battery life and its is durable as hell.

GunFighter98
11-01-12, 22:51
Just make sure you look through one before you purchase it if you can. I had an aimpoint ML3 but due to my astigmatism the dot looked more like a peanut shape and it drove me nuts so I decided to get a magnified optic instead. Good luck with your decision. You cant go wrong with any model aimpoint.