PDA

View Full Version : 4 great days of hunting...

ccoker
10-29-12, 15:45
We got out the property Wednesday night about 10, got the hunting truck squared away, game plan established for the next day and then kicked back with some Makers Mark on ice in celebration for the upcoming few days. We went out Thursday and it was hot, not much game was moving and we were sure hoping the cold front that was predicted Friday got here early.. We woke up at 5:30 Friday morning and stepped outside to find it cold and windy.. COLD!, yes!, windy, not so much. Deer don’t like to move much in the wind. Needless to say, we were going hunting if it was 100 degrees, 30 and raining, whatever, we came to hunt not sit in a cabin. There wasn’t a lot of activity but better than the day before. In Texas you can put out bait and we put out some stuff called Deer Golden Nuggets. Our lease provides it so why not try it? Well, it works! we put it out via the road feeder on our truck and soon after deer were coming out of the trees into the clearings.. We had lots of deer moving Friday and Saturday but it wasn’t until Sunday morning that we both decided to put the hammer down on some management bucks. We were looking for at least 4.5 years old and under 17″ inside spread. Deer that probably weren’t going to develop into true trophy class (150 plus). I deer at day break out in the field and watched one NICE buck for a while. I knew right away it was a mature deer, at least 4.5, probably 5.5 years old and I guess about a 16″ spread. There were some does too and then an even nice buck came out. He was an even nicer 8, definitely a trophy class, probably 150 points and 5.5 years old. I let him walk as I am after a bigger 10 point. I decided to drop the hammer on the buck and it was down with one 140 AB through the base of the neck at 125 yards. I caught it on video and will be posting soon. A few moments later I hear a shot and judging from the location I figured it was Mike. Sure enough, he dropped a nice 8 as well. His was 17, mine 16, his wider, mine a little taller. Both GREAT deer. I can’t wait to go back in a few weeks after a monster and get my oldest son on a deer like these and my younger son on his first doe!

What a fantastic weekend!

We have some videos to process and post soon..

Mike with his buck:

http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Mike-with-8pt-management-buck-Oct-20121-764x1024.jpg

Me with mine:
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Charles-with-8pt-management-buck-Oct-2012-793x1024.jpg