PDA

View Full Version : Steel cased 5.56 AR ammo

sseeya2001
10-29-12, 16:10
Was wondering is there anything bad with shooting the steel cased ammo such as wolf, tullamo, brown bear thru a colt ar 15 6920? Trying to stock up on some ammo, seeing what the cheapest good ammo. Will get m855 for the good stuff, but will mainly use the steel ammo for range days.

jesuvuah
10-29-12, 16:25
It functions fine in my DD and my BCM. Accuracy is poor with any steel cased ammo I have tried though. I imagine that it could put a little extra wear on things but as long as you keep an eye on things I doubt it iwll be a problem

HackerF15E
10-29-12, 16:31
Steel is perfectly fine for range practice ammo.

As it is pretty cheap, there can be inconsistencies in charges, leading to some pretty poor accuracy. In this manner, you definitely get what you pay for.

It won't damage your rifle or accelerate wear.

Snake Plissken
10-29-12, 20:25
Steel is perfectly fine for range practice ammo.

As it is pretty cheap, there can be inconsistencies in charges, leading to some pretty poor accuracy. In this manner, you definitely get what you pay for.

It won't damage your rifle or accelerate wear.

however the Hornady steel match is excellent stuff

markm
10-30-12, 08:46

however the Hornady steel match is excellent stuff

I need to get a box of that stuff. Iraqgunz had a bunch the other night, but I forgot to steal some.

I'm dying to see how it stacks up.

Failure2Stop
10-30-12, 08:56
Was wondering is there anything bad with shooting the steel cased ammo such as wolf, tullamo, brown bear thru a colt ar 15 6920? Trying to stock up on some ammo, seeing what the cheapest good ammo. Will get m855 for the good stuff, but will mainly use the steel ammo for range days.

There has been a ton of discussion on this.
Short answer: steel cased ammo is fine as long as your gun will cycle it, and it is recommended to clean your chamber before transitioning to brass case if you shoot a lot of it. Some guns that work under normal conditions with low pressure ammo won't like it as much in the cold.

Second: M855 isn't really "good stuff".

MontePR
10-30-12, 09:33
I bought a box 50 rds of Hornady steel match 75gr and was amazed by how accurate it shot out of my DDM4 V5 LW. About 1.5"@100yrds.

polymorpheous
10-30-12, 09:46

That ammo will be fine through your Colt.
It's dirty, weak, and smells, but the Colt should eat it up just fine.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase of the 6920.
Both should serve you well.
Read all of the sticky threads, use the orange search button, and go shot that rifle!

markm
10-30-12, 10:30
I bought a box 50 rds of Hornady steel match 75gr and was amazed by how accurate it shot out of my DDM4 V5 LW. About 1.5"@100yrds.

Is that without magnification sighting? 1.5" isn't going to cut it, but if you were using a red dot or ACOG that's not too shabby.

I'd like to get a little through Pappabears Rem 700 with the Nightforce scope to really get a picture of the ammo.

ASH556
10-30-12, 10:43
Is that without magnification sighting? 1.5" isn't going to cut it, but if you were using a red dot or ACOG that's not too shabby.

I'd like to get a little through Pappabears Rem 700 with the Nightforce scope to really get a picture of the ammo.

/slight hijack...I think the barrel was the limiting factor there. Both Trident and I could only get 1.5-1.7" groups out of DD LW CHF barrels with known-good match ammo.

markm
10-30-12, 10:52
Ahh... LW = Light Weight?

Unacceptable under any circumstances. :p I hate light weight barrels.

kendak
10-30-12, 19:32
get 2" groups @ 100 meters with Wolf & Tulammo..BM 14.5 with Kies linear & factory steel sights...put 400 rds. through it Sunday with no problems....take care...Kent..:dirol:

QuackXP
10-30-12, 19:37
This is the best resource I can find about shooting steel and then switching to brass without a good cleaning.

That is the only time I have heard of any significant issues.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

sseeya2001
10-30-12, 19:44
Thank you for all you opinions on this. No doubt I will be buying steel cased ammo for my AR I am about to buy.

420ollie
10-30-12, 20:02
Works great in my ar and it is cheap too.

MontePR
10-30-12, 20:31
[QUOTE=markm;1429201]Is that without magnification sighting? 1.5" isn't going to cut it, but if you were using a red dot or ACOG that's not too shabby.

I was using a 4x Bushnell Banner. 1.5 inches 10rd groups.

markm
10-31-12, 08:07
I was using a 4x Bushnell Banner. 1.5 inches 10rd groups.

That's good for a 4x. I'd really like to run some through Pappabears bolt gun. Getting 10x really helps remove human factors.