PDA

View Full Version : EOTech 553 Experiences

grappler
02-12-08, 07:55
So what are the new features besides the new throw levers that were mandated by SOCOM? I had heard that has a 1X Magnification...True or not? I just bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, but I really like the look of this new EOTech...

Iraqgunz
02-12-08, 10:05
The EoTech Mod. 553 in addition to the different mount also uses CR123 batteries. It is also about 1/10 of an inch shorter. One reason I did not get one is because of the batteries. Here in Iraq CR123's are not on every street corner, they sometimes are in the PX or you have to mail order. AA batteries can be found anywhere and are cheaper. I believe that is waterproof to 66 ft. vice 33ft. for the 552 and the base is slightly more raised.

Considering the battery life is roughly the same I didn't see the need or justify the extra cost as opposed to a 552.

mactastic
02-12-08, 18:06
Forget Iraq. CR123 batteries can't be found readily in many places, including the USA. Especially when you need them in a hurry.

Common sense dictates, or at least it should when figuring what it takes to keep your gear up and running no matter where you are. AA batteries win hands down.

You don't need to go to high speed ninja school to figure that one out.

Joe Mamma
02-12-08, 18:15
I've got a 553 and have been very happy with it. I think there may have been rumors of mounting difficulties. But, I've mounted mine on a Colt and LMT with no problems at all.

The battery type is a non-issue for me. It takes the same batteries as my flashlights, so I've always got extras. Also, there is an auto-off function at 4 or 8 hours [edited to correct # of hours], and the batteries last about 1100 hours (depending on the brightness setting you choose). So, batterries don't have to be changed very often (in my opinion).

It is 1x, so there is no maginification.

Joe Mamma

Iraqgunz
02-13-08, 03:06
The battery issue may be a non-starter for some or it may not be. I pointed it out because CR123 lithium are generally more expensive than AA, and they cannot always be obtained.

Generally speaking I toss the AA's about every month or so, depending on my usage times. I agree that you should always check your gear, but it doesn't always happen, especially in an Oh Shit, QRF moment.

My last contract alot of "cool guys" had EoTechs, but they were pretty much useless in the area that we were operating in. I used an ACOG 4x32. So I guess you should probably ask yourself what do you really want it for? To look cool and have a gadget, punch paper, or for potential serious use?

M240B
02-13-08, 07:20
Here is my 553 mounted on my LMT. Love the set up and the smaller overall length than the 552.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/SteveP229/CIMG2522.jpg

ST911
02-13-08, 09:38
I've got a 553 and have been very happy with it. I think there may have been rumors of mounting difficulties. But, I've mounted mine on a Colt and LMT with no problems at all.

Fit issues reported (not just rumored) are usually a result of stacking tolerances with the lesser brands. There's still some...range...with the mount itself.

There was discussion of some 553 fit issues and breakage of the ARMS levers in a relatively recent AAR.

Forget Iraq. CR123 batteries can't be found readily in many places, including the USA. Especially when you need them in a hurry. Common sense dictates, or at least it should when figuring what it takes to keep your gear up and running no matter where you are. AA batteries win hands down. You don't need to go to high speed ninja school to figure that one out.

Can't speak about Iraq.

In the US, I don't think I've ever been to an Anymart without them. They're not as cheap as mail order, but I don't think you'd have to wander far.

I was a bit surprised at how available I've found them in Europe and Central America, too.

Spares carriers are darn handy where bets need to be hedged.

The Archangel
02-13-08, 10:39
So what are the new features besides the new throw levers that were mandated by SOCOM? I had heard that has a 1X Magnification...True or not? I just bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, but I really like the look of this new EOTech...

I've own an EOTech 552, Aimpoints M2 & M3L. AA batteries or not, I like the 10,000 battery life of the M2 over the EOTech's -1100 hours. The M3/M3L has 50,000 hours. Take an extra battery with you and forget about it.

Keep in mind that the advertised battery life is actually 10-20% less in actual use, especially in harsher climates.

grappler
02-13-08, 11:21
Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't had a single problem with my Aimpoint, but the las time I went shooting the A.R.M.S rings started getting loose. Anyone else had an issue with that? I love the look of the A.R.M.S, but if it becomes an issue, it's gone.

Charles
02-13-08, 11:49
We have not had an EO's batteries last more then about half of what they claim. The 553's mount is garbage.

M240B
02-13-08, 14:52
The 553's mount is garbage.

I just love it when someone says something is garbage and offers no explanation or pictures backing up their claim. It it is garbage then let us know the facts, the facts being from your personal expierence. Then all the facts and pictures can be sent to the manufacturer and hopefully the problem will be dealt with accordingly.

If you have nothing backing this up then it is just more internet BS and has no place here.

Matt Edwards
02-13-08, 18:38

It seems that most would agree with him though. The arms levers are prone to breakage and there may be zero retention issues with them due to the mount. I will admit 100% that I do not have any experience with them, but when you hear it enough from guys you respect, it becomes irrelevant. From what I understand, they are finally coming out with a standard mount model that will take 123 bats. This may be GTG.

Matt

M240B
02-13-08, 19:36
The 553 might really have some problems but what I really hate is when the something is said on one forum (true or not) and is repeated without first hand knowledge on another. Then everyone believes that it is true because, hell, everyone says it is.

It does not matter what it is, I want to see actual proof of what is screwed up about it and hear what the manufaturer has to say.

I am going to write EOTech and ask them if they are having any QC problems. When I get their answer I will post it here.

Matt Edwards
02-13-08, 23:00
Sounds good. I'd be interested to hear what they say.
Just trying to help.

M4Guru
02-14-08, 00:39
I have some in-op 553s. I got a dozen of them and have DX'd 4 of them, 2 for mounts being broken (AMRS levers, first installation) and 2 for fried brains (operator error, in all fairness. Some guys refuse to believe the heat from a barrel will cook the Eotech if it's on your handguard).

They are proving a lot more durable than 552s we had prior, though. I just wish they didn't have that mount.

KevinB
02-14-08, 05:40
The mount like most ARMS stuff (inc My Atilla-200) get sloppy when out on different uppers/forends with variying specs.

I was disappoint in the two 553's I've had - both becoming worthless on some guns (wont lock up) after being put on another -- Larue upper on one and Hk416 for the other.

M4Guru
02-14-08, 05:49
Same thing with my VITAL II on my personal gun.

As for the battery issue, I have yet to go anywhere in Iraq that didn't have pallets of 123 batteries. A quarter-million RFI Surefires use them, adaptors for the MBITR, the PEQ-15 that's trickling out, COMSEC devices, etc.

M240B
02-14-08, 07:17
To all the guys here that actually has had hands on the faulty units thanks for posting. That is the kind of information that I was looking for.

Steve
02-14-08, 08:18
I had 1 553 that the mounts failed they would pop open about every dozen or so rounds fired hard and fast.

it did this on 4 different carbines,

Eo replaced the unit in about a weeks times.

my 555 noissue after 1k rounds

M4Guru
02-14-08, 08:52
Steve, did the 553 flop around on the upper? It seems like it would have had no pressure on the upper if the lever opened just from firing. Oh well, that's ARMS for you...

Their new MRE style rail looks nice, although I threw up a little just for admitting that ARMS made something decent.:D

Erick Gelhaus
02-14-08, 09:05
Their new MRE style rail looks nice, although I threw up a little just for admitting that ARMS made something decent.:D

M4-
Its ok, no one saw you wrote that :D

Matt Edwards
02-14-08, 09:37
I'm looking forward to a 123 "standard mount" to come out, if it does. Any one have good poop on this?

Guys like M4 (among others) is where I got my info from. You will note the info does not change. Just the delivery system. I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt.
I've been looking hard at one of these, but not untill the change the mount.
Let me know how it works out for you.

M4Guru
02-14-08, 09:55
I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt.

Isn't that ironic?:D

M240B
02-14-08, 10:27
Guys, I purchased a 553 right before Christmas and have only had the oportunity to shoot my new AR about 200 times with the new 553. I had no idea that there had been problems with this mount. If I had known before hand I would have waited to see what the company would do about it before spending my money.

As stated before I (as well as everyone else) have seen more than enough BS put out over the internet whether it be from one manufacturer or individual not liking another companies products or for some personal reason. This practice of misinformation has left me not trusting 95% of what I read on the web. That is the reason why I like first hand personal expierences and not hearsay. And if pictures of the problem are available then it would be great if they were posted.

I don't have to get shot to know it will hurt. I will remember that one.

Iraqgunz
02-14-08, 14:37
That's pretty much true when you are in the military, not so when you are a contractor. On a side note about Eotech customer service. I contacted them a month or so ago about the little battery contacts coming loose in the battery packs. The lady I spoke with said "Sorry, we won't warranty that". Now, I know from other sources that there was a problem with the adhesives they were using. I told them that we had purchased over 300 of them and they should try and help us out, i.e WARRANTY. After I spoke to someone else and then talked to her again she then backpeddled and said we would have to send in all the damaged ones for the to "investigate" the cause. I informed her that because of the mail system her and the fact that the APO will not allow you to send weapons related accesories through mail she said "Sorry without that we can't help you". Piss poor service if you ask me.

Same thing with my VITAL II on my personal gun.

As for the battery issue, I have yet to go anywhere in Iraq that didn't have pallets of 123 batteries. A quarter-million RFI Surefires use them, adaptors for the MBITR, the PEQ-15 that's trickling out, COMSEC devices, etc.

twodollarbill
02-14-08, 14:43
I had two different 553's reticles fail last fall, they were both still under warranty,
shipped both back to Eotech for repair...both units were returned within 10 days repaired.
On another issue I had a new FTS "samson" mount that had one of the
windage adjustment screw heads damaged. Eotech sent me another
new one at no charge (samson sells these for $220ea.) with a UPS pickup
to return the damaged one.
You should not need service...but, Eotech's service is top notch....

chadbag
02-15-08, 03:07
I informed her that because of the mail system her and the fact that the APO will not allow you to send weapons related accesories through mail

I don't know about FROM the sandbox through APO back to here, but I have had no problems sending "weapons accessories" through the APO system to units in Iraq and Afghanistan and the customs form clearly says "rifle sight" or "grip" or whatever. The USPS website lists restrictions to APOs and "weapons accessories" are not one of them. Just weapons themselves, and for "official use" that is not fast and firm either.

Chad

Iraqgunz
02-15-08, 05:00
Chad,

Generally this restriction (I spoke of) applies to stuff being sent back from Iraq to the states and sometimes depends on location and moods of the day. One thing you may want to look at if you haven't already are the rules concerning ITAR. It is pretty specific when talking about sending parts outside the U.S. Though I don't have the manual right in front of me I highly suggest you take a look at it. I have to deal with this crap all the time when ordering replacement parts for weapons as well as the weapons themselves. You have to jump through the hoops of the Dept. of State, BATFE and DDTC. It's a nightmare.

Update; I found it take a look.

§ 121.1 General. The United States Munitions List.
(a) The following articles, services and related technical data are designated as defense articles and defense services pursuant to §§38 and 47(7) of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778 and 2794(7)). Changes in designations will be published in theFederal Register.Information and clarifications on whether specific items are defense articles and services under this subchapter may appear periodically through the Internet Web site of the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

(b) Significant military equipment: An asterisk precedes certain defense articles in the following list. The asterisk means that the article is deemed to be “Significant Military Equipment” to the extent specified in §120.7 of this subchapter. The asterisk is placed as a convenience to help identify such articles. Note that technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated in any category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designed SME.

(c) Missile Technology Control Regime Annex (MTCR). Certain defense articles and services are identified in §121.16 as being on the list of MTCR Annex items on the United States Munitions List. These are articles as specified in §120.29 of this subchapter and appear on the list at §121.16.

Category I—Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns

*(a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

*(d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

*(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

*(g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

Note: This coverage by the U.S. Munitions List in paragraphs (a) through (i) of this category excludes any non-combat shotgun with a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, BB, pellet, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms. This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications. It also excludes accessories and attachments (e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips, cleaning kits) for firearms that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm, components and parts. The Department of Commerce regulates the export of such items. See the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR parts 730–799). In addition, license exemptions for the items in this category are available in various parts of this subchapter (e.g. §§123.17, 123.18 and 125.4).

Steve
02-15-08, 07:25
Iraqgunz,

I may be able to help with this issue

contact me off board.

MX5
02-15-08, 08:00
I've seen numerous EOTech mounting failures directly related to the person that installed it. That's not to dismiss what others have witnessed - I'm just saying...

I'm amazed how many I've seen on the firing line, slightly canted because there wasn't a good interface to the rail & the shooter was oblivious to this. After taking the weapon off-line & clearing, you could grasp the sight & pull it off to one side, removing it from the weapon. It would be just a matter of time before this would have fallen off on it's own accord or due to an impact. Once installed properly & re-zeroed, no problems. This is very similar to what we see with gas keys & gas blocks that go Tango Uniform - improper installation.

There might be other issues that are out there, but I've seen this rather often. Just something to consider. YMMV.

M4Guru
02-15-08, 08:37
I too have seen some operator induced improper mounting with the screw mount. I don't think that ever damaged the mount, though, just embarassed the shooter.

The ARMS levers seem to break at will, since they do not adjust to the variations in rail dimensions.

Steve
02-15-08, 08:50
Sorry M4 i missed your question,

No the the rear lever keep opening up and the unit would slide a bit

mactastic
02-15-08, 09:09
If you haven't gone anywhere that didn't have pallets of CR123's that tells me you haven't been many places.

comment for M4Guru.

mactastic
02-15-08, 09:19
It's also good that operator error was mentioned. Most are quick to jump to "it's the equipments fault"

chadbag
02-15-08, 12:32
Chad,

Generally this restriction (I spoke of) applies to stuff being sent back from Iraq to the states and sometimes depends on location and moods of the day. One thing you may want to look at if you haven't already are the rules concerning ITAR. It is pretty specific when talking about sending parts outside the U.S.

Yes, the ITAR is a favorites in my browser bookmarks.

However, as it was explained to me when I asked, sending to an APO is strictly not exporting it and does not fall under ITAR. That is how it was explained to me some time ago when I inquired. I don't know if it is right or not. US Forces are an extension of the US with this regard (especially for official duty). (And the APO is a US address ;-) )

I don't send optics or most gun parts (ITAR explicitly mentions after market grips as being OK for example) to non US addresses.

Chad

Iraqgunz
02-15-08, 13:05
Chad,

I know it's tricky-trust me. And when you try and call someone for clarification they will do a fancy dance and not answere you other than to refer you to the website. I specifically mentioned that items would be going through the APO and got the same response.

Yes, the ITAR is a favorites in my browser bookmarks.

However, as it was explained to me when I asked, sending to an APO is strictly not exporting it and does not fall under ITAR. That is how it was explained to me some time ago when I inquired. I don't know if it is right or not. US Forces are an extension of the US with this regard (especially for official duty). (And the APO is a US address ;-) )

I don't send optics or most gun parts (ITAR explicitly mentions after market grips as being OK for example) to non US addresses.

Chad

Iraqgunz
02-15-08, 13:08
I am assuming the dumb comment was directed towards me. FYI- This is my 4th time in country and I have been many places. When I was in the military CR123's weren't an issue. However, when contracting most companies aren't that generous and figure if you make xxxx amount of money you can buy what you need above and beyond what they give you. End of hijack.

If you haven't gone anywhere that didn't have pallets of CR123's that tells me you haven't been many places.

Ivory
02-15-08, 15:38
Who has got pics of broken A.R.M.S. levers.

mactastic
02-16-08, 09:32
wrong assumption. I clarified in my earlier post.

M4Guru
02-16-08, 10:59

comment for M4Guru.

:)

I write all this stuff from a Starbucks in Berkley.

Harv
02-16-08, 13:31
M4Guru

I knew it......:p

Now would you please leave Berkley... your upsetting the hippies....;)

KevinB
02-17-08, 01:43
:)

LOL

Public service notice - bashing or attempting to bash an IP is not the most wisest of things to do if you expect to have any credibility.

iamtruebeliever
02-17-08, 17:56
I have two 553s.

One is mounted on an AR bridging the upper and the handguard and has gone through about 2k rounds. I has been removed 10 or 11 times for disassembly and cleaning of the AR and it has had absolutely no issues with the mount or zero; it is still as tight and sturdy as the day I bought it.

The other is mounted on a pistol grip (no buttstock) Mossberg 500 with a receiver mounted rail and has gone through about 500 rounds. It has been removed 6 or 7 times for transport and cleaning and as with the other has had absolutely no issues with the mount or the zero.

SapperRob
02-17-08, 22:09
I've been using one for about 5 months. Not too long but it made it through a 3 day Urban Rifle class and has survived being in my trunk in a soft case with no problems. The temp got down into the teens with freezing rain and fog(about as bad as it gets in NC) during the class. I never had a problem with the sight when it was wet, cold, and muddy.

There was an older 552 that suffered from the blinking reticle problem on day 3. This same sight had just done a contract year in Iraq and was used and abused before the class.

I have taken mine on/off several times for cleaning and have had no problems with the levers. I have not lost my zero since the initial zero.

Shihan
02-19-08, 15:30
I was thinking of picking a 553 up a while back until I Pat Rogers told me all the ones he has the ARMS crap has went TU.

Failure2Stop
02-19-08, 16:13
There was an older 552 that suffered from the blinking reticle problem on day 3. This same sight had just done a contract year in Iraq and was used and abused before the class.

No sight, regardless of manufacturer, should failure be acceptable after one deployment.

Aimpoints will take any abuse you can survive and keep right on working.

ACOGs (though I am no fan) are definately tough enough to "survive" a deployment.

If the extent of your use will be a few hours of shooting followed by a toss in the trunk and a vigorous cleaning at the end of the day, there are many optics that will work just fine for you (probably). If you need an optic that will actually be expected to take abuse and keep on going, time after time, the mounting platform becomes much more relevant, and the field narrows considerably.

If you need to pick the gun up and use it immediately, or have to wait for a considerable amount of time while potentially needing the optic, and then need to immediately employ the system, the field narrows even more. Something that turns itself off after a few hours, requiring constant monitoring on my part to turn it back on when it shuts down, is not what I want in an optic.

We do not need to be apologists for choices we made before other options existed, or with the information we had at the time. To continue to use an item that does not meet our requirements, however, is not going to help us do what we need to do.

Of course, this may not apply to you, and that's OK too.

SapperRob
02-19-08, 19:42
The 552 wasn't mine. It was the only optic that failed during that class and as far as I know the only one that had seen hard use (the officer just returned after doing a year as a contractor). I wasn't making excuses for the failure, just stating the facts.

There is a world of difference between what a soldier and a police officer need as far as equipment goes. A soldier needs a reliable sight system that is always ready to go. When I was in we called them iron sights, now there are M68s and ACOGs. A police officer, either SWAT or patrol, will have the time to press an "on" button when they deploy their rifle. The weapon will be stored in a patrol car, most likely in a case in the trunk or a locked mount, and will only be deployed under special circumstances dictated by the department's SOPs.

I have no regrets in purchasing and using an Eotech over an Aimpoint for a patrol rifle. Unlike a soldier my primary weapon is the sidearm on my duty belt, not the long gun (rifle or shotgun) in my trunk. My agencies SWAT team chose the Eotechs because they decided that the reticle worked better for them for their applications. I was able to try one out because they were available and liked it.

I am considering switching to a magnified optic, possibly a 3x30 ACOG, as my primary sight over a red dot, because the primary use of a patrol rifle is to engage distant targets (25-100 yards in police work)that pose an immediate threat to someone's life. Shooting the right guy while he's holding a knife/gun instead of a silver cell phone or black wallet is important. I think a compact ACOG, may be a better solution than any red dot. If I make the switch I'll let everyone know how it works out for me in my application. And thank you Failure2Stop for being one of 2 responses to my thread on this topic......(BTW not a traffic cop, Gang Cop).

I'm not SWAT, I don't do high-risk warrant service, I just knock on the door and then stand out of their way and listen to the bangs. When I chase someone into a house and kick their door down I clear it with a 45, not an M4, I'd have to go back an unlock my trunk to get to it......:rolleyes:

The whole point of my over long post? I agree that a 10,000 hour battery that stays on all the time is great for a grunt, maybe even SWAT, but is not as important for a cop.

Thanks for helping me kill time working a boring off-duty job to help pay for my AR addiction with 2 kids in daycare.:D