PDA

View Full Version : Form 1 revisions help!

topslop1
10-29-12, 18:33
Okay - I am submitting a Palmetto State Armory lower to be SBR'd. Got the form back and I have

1. Form must specify the barrel and overall length, approximates and estimates are unacceptable.

I had put under 16''.. I suppose I need to put 10.5'' and then the overall length would be what 29.5''?

I also put .223, .22lr for calibers.. which was also highlighted.

Should I just do .223.. is that acceptable? or 5.56mm ?

3. Incomplete / inaccurate firearm descirpition, see highlighter section(s).
Full applicant name, city and state; only the state can be abbreviated in box 4h.

I will attach a photo to show what I have put in 4h. What should I change about 4h?

Now when I am doing my edits do I just white out the boxes and then go over in black ink? How do I go about editing it?

Thanks for walking me through. How long do revisions usually take to get approved? I know it's not another 6+ months from this point forward, right?

Hydguy
10-29-12, 18:50
Yes, you need to be specific on the bbl length, and cal now.
As for OAL, if you are using a 10.5, just subtract 5.5 rom the OAL of a 16" bbl gun with your stock set up.
You are not tied to any of those measurements or cal's, unless you never intend to go back to them, at which point the BATFE requests that you inform them of any permanent changes.

As for corrections, just strike each item out with one line and initial next to it, and put the correct info next to it.

For 4H, that is where you identify the markings for your name (or Trust/LLC ect) and City/State
It appears that you just used the factory model markings. You don't need to put that info in there, or anywhere else.

When did you go pending on this F1?

coryd
10-29-12, 18:52
For caliber you should list whatever the barrel of your main upper is chambered for (5.56 or 223 or whatever else). No need to list 22 LR or anyother caliber that may be used, only whatever the main upper is.

4H. I listed the name of my trust and city, state.

XXXX Trust
Anytown, USA

For the edits don't use white out. Draw a line though the old/incorrect info (only one line) and write in the corrections above or next to it.

topslop1
10-29-12, 18:57
Must have been very recent considering the fact that I called them last Weds asking about it and they said that they didn't even have it in the system... So pending as per last Thursday?Friday? . I mailed an outdated form to the outdated branch (Washington DC) after following an outdated 'how to' on ar15 forum. I received this in the mail with a sheet talking about the following corrections. Nothing was mentioned about my outdated form.

I plan on correcting the sheet and mailing it back to the correct branch (WV) and seeing what happens. Note that this came from the West Virginia Branch so it was mailed by the ATF from the Washington DC branch TO the WV branch.

So 4h would be my name city and state? I'm doing an individual one here, not a trust.

Hydguy
10-29-12, 19:06
You originally sent the Form 1 in last week?

topslop1
10-29-12, 19:09
I sent the form 1 in May 16th.

Hydguy
10-29-12, 19:15
Okay...

Hmac
10-29-12, 19:56
I agree, just strike a line through the error, initial, then put in the right entry. In box 4H, put your name, city and state, which is what you should have engraved (or will engrave) on your rifle. You used to be able to just use your first initial, apparently your examiner is saying you can't - have to use full name. You can abbreviate your state.

For barrel length and OAL, just use whatever barrel you bought or will buy. For caliber, just put 5.56 mm. Once you have the transfer stamp for the lower, you can put any barrel length or caliber you want on it as long as you retain the ability to bring it back to its registered configuration or notify ATF that you are changing it (you don't need their permission to do so, you just need to send the notice).

Last SBR I registered, they sent it back to me for corrections. I called my examiner for guidance and he was very friendly and helpful. The form was approved about 10 days after I sent back the corrected form. That was a couple of years ago...I don't know what kind of time frames they're using these days.

topslop1
10-29-12, 20:12
I agree, just strike a line through the error, initial, then put in the right entry. In box 4H, put your name, city and state, which is what you should have engraved (or will engrave) on your rifle. You used to be able to just use your first initial, apparently your examiner is saying you can't - have to use full name. You can abbreviate your state.

For barrel length and OAL, just use whatever barrel you bought or will buy. For caliber, just put 5.56 mm. Once you have the transfer stamp for the lower, you can put any barrel length or caliber you want on it as long as you retain the ability to bring it back to its registered configuration or notify ATF that you are changing it (you don't need their permission to do so, you just need to send the notice).

Last SBR I registered, they sent it back to me for corrections. I called my examiner for guidance and he was very friendly and helpful. The form was approved about 10 days after I sent back the corrected form. That was a couple of years ago...I don't know what kind of time frames they're using these days.

Sounds good, this one is edited and packaged up and ready to go. I'm pretty sure that you get back to the front of the line so to say when you have it edited. There's certainly not another 7 month wait for me ahead I don't think. I'll keep you guys posted when I get it back.

Another question: Where should I have the lower engraved?

Hmac
10-29-12, 20:27

Orion Arms is good. I've always used Ident Marking and have never been disappointed.

Hydguy
10-29-12, 22:14
Sounds good, this one is edited and packaged up and ready to go. I'm pretty sure that you get back to the front of the line so to say when you have it edited. There's certainly not another 7 month wait for me ahead I don't think. I'll keep you guys posted when I get it back.

You will get your Form 1 shortly after you send it back.

On my first 2 Form 1's (sent in at the same time with my trust), Dana Pickles had one thing for me to fix, and it was with 'funding' my trust. When I called, he told me I could fax in the correction, and I had the Form 1's about a week later.

The issue of cal and bbl length started at least 2 years ago, as that is when I sent my first forms in, and I followed the tutorial on TOS.There was a time when you could get approved with less than 16" and multi, and funny reasons for making them, but they started to tighten up on the process around that time.

topslop1
10-29-12, 22:26
You will get your Form 1 shortly after you send it back.

On my first 2 Form 1's (sent in at the same time with my trust), Dana Pickles had one thing for me to fix, and it was with 'funding' my trust. When I called, he told me I could fax in the correction, and I had the Form 1's about a week later.

The issue of cal and bbl length started at least 2 years ago, as that is when I sent my first forms in, and I followed the tutorial on TOS.There was a time when you could get approved with less than 16" and multi, and funny reasons for making them, but they started to tighten up on the process around that time.

I've seen 'for zombies' and such in the reasons line.. I assume that that would not fly in today's form 1 process..

oberstgreup
10-29-12, 23:44
I've seen 'for zombies' and such in the reasons line.. I assume that that would not fly in today's form 1 process..

My SOT told me another of his customers put that on a Form 4 and it was rejected. It's not the time or place for humor.

Iraqgunz
10-30-12, 04:21
For reason you simply put Research and Development or Collecting and Investment.

Don't overthink this.

Hydguy
10-30-12, 05:57

Yea, now they don't have as much of a sense of humor... There have been a few instances of silly reasons sliding through in the last few years, but no where near like it used to be...

I just put 'To enhance personal collection and for all legal purposes'

MH64
10-31-12, 00:31
For reason you simply put Research and Development or Collecting and Investment.

Don't overthink this.

I used,
"All Lawful Purposes"

on my last three form 1's without issue.

topslop1
12-01-12, 10:29
Lower came back from Orion Arms ready to go. Now I'm still waiting for the ATF to send me my stamp! Been a little over a month. Hope I didn't get put back to the bottom of the pile :(

308sako
12-01-12, 15:32
Lower came back from Orion Arms ready to go. Now I'm still waiting for the ATF to send me my stamp! Been a little over a month. Hope I didn't get put back to the bottom of the pile :(

On my first form 1 I made a simple mistake and FEDEX'd the forms back corrected as requested the same day. I had my stamp within 7 days. Earlier this year...

topslop1
12-01-12, 19:56
On my first form 1 I made a simple mistake and FEDEX'd the forms back corrected as requested the same day. I had my stamp within 7 days. Earlier this year...

I must say that that is not encouraging information for me to hear. I certainly botched the process by following an outdated how-to guide on ar15 forum which led me to use an outdated form 1 and send it to the wrong branch originally - The DC branch to be exact.

I was surprised then that it came back to me (6 months later) for corrections and then instructions to send it off to West Virginia. Now I've called West Virginia's phone number to see if it was processing a few days ago after sending out the revised information and they claimed that they had no record of it in their system....which isn't a huge shocker to me only because it was not in their system before and it still made its way back to me from DC with information on how to correct it.

So I suppose there's a few outcomes to this:

1. Because it came from DC and not WV it might possibly go through the entire process again and sit for 6 months before being approved finally.

2. West Virginia branch notices that it is an outdated form and doesn't honor it and throws it out and doesn't let me know about it.

3. It shows up in the next few days in the mail ready to go (Wishful thinking?).

What do you guys think?

Hydguy
12-01-12, 23:11
Which guide were you using on ARFcom?
I used one on there 2 years ago for my first Form 1, and the form 1 links, and didn't have a problem.

The move to WV happened several years ago, and the Form 1 process has been the same for more than 2 years.

Form 4's go to Atl, and Form 1's go to Martinsburg.

Who is the examiner that sent you your Form 1 back? Must have put his/her name somewhere on the documentation advising you to correct the Form 1....

topslop1
12-08-12, 20:10
I used the form within the Armory/Short Barreled Rifles/SBR FAQ thread and the first posting.

The FAQ is this one:

http://quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf

which is very much so outdated.

Going to give them another ring in the next few days to see if it's gone to processing. Losing confidence in the SBR stamp / project itself.

Hydguy
12-09-12, 00:58
I used the form within the Armory/Short Barreled Rifles/SBR FAQ thread and the first posting.

The FAQ is this one:

http://quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf

which is very much so outdated.

Going to give them another ring in the next few days to see if it's gone to processing. Losing confidence in the SBR stamp / project itself.

Uh... yea... that is pretty out of date..
The fact that it pretty much starts out mentioning the 1994 Omnibus Crime bill should have clued you in that it was kinda old, as it's been expired for 8 years....

But why would you be losing faith in the SBR project?
It's pretty straight forward.

Last time I checked with the BATFE, my current Form 1 went pending on Aug 14, and the guy on the phone said it should be done sometime in Feb...
Just stupid that it takes so damn long....
You would think that there would be some stuff that is automated...

topslop1
12-09-12, 01:12
It is straight forward you are correct about that..it's just the process of doing it all over again and starting from the beginning.. it's also a money issue at the moment, or rather another giving of $200 to a source that really does not need it ;).

When I am out of the great state of CT and employed full time (grad student right now) I would like to combat the 6 month wait on SBR's / Cans by doing like 2-3 cans at once along with 2-3 lowers at once... even if I don't even necessarily WANT those things in that current moment.

I will also not be entirely sure where I will end up in 6 months residence wise so filing again for an SBR if my previous filing attempt went sour isn't really a choice at the moment.

SBR
12-09-12, 18:45

Don't overthink this.

My trust lawyer told me to put "Any Lawful Purpose" in there, so that's what I do and haven't had any problems thus far.

Iraqgunz
12-10-12, 05:45
Awesome then do what your lawyer told you. Again, you could put a million things in there if you want. The key is to do it correct and not overthink the process that is tried and true.

My trust lawyer told me to put "Any Lawful Purpose" in there, so that's what I do and haven't had any problems thus far.