PDA

View Full Version : 62gr. TBBC Load Data

Ironman8
10-30-12, 09:12
I've been searching for weeks now trying to find some load data for the above bullet. Apparently Federal/Speer is the only one who's ever put any powder behind this bullet, and they weren't all that helpful when I asked them for some suggestions.

I have the Speer manual, and it does show the 55gr TBBC, but not 62gr. What I did notice per the manual is that the 55gr TBBC showed about 1 grain less of powder for the min/max load range than other 55gr bullets. Should I use this as a starting point? How many less grains of powder do 62gr typically use when compared to their 55gr counterpart?

My main questions for this load workup are:

1) Min/Max range for this bullet with WC844 powder (H335)?
2) COAL? Do I load to the cannelure, or just load to mag length?

I have a few factory Federal 62gr. TBBC that are loaded to the cannelure for a pretty short COAL. Should I pull the bullet and "reverse engineer" the round to at least give me an idea? What are the chances that the powder is WC844?

Also, for those who have experience reloading, how would you work up a load for which you have absolutely no data to start with? What would be your methods? I think this would be a good discussion all by itself.

Thanks!

Stump70
10-30-12, 10:39
Pull one and reverse engineer. IIRC, powder load was 22.4grs.
Is the loaded ones you have around 2.220 COAL?
I would load to cannelure.

Ironman8
10-30-12, 10:58
Pull one and reverse engineer. IIRC, powder load was 22.4grs.
Is the loaded ones you have around 2.220 COAL?
I would load to cannelure.

I believe the 2.220 COAL is correct IIRC. Factory loads to cannelure.

Do you know what powder is used?

Stump70
10-30-12, 11:33
I believe the 2.220 COAL is correct IIRC. Factory loads to cannelure.

Do you know what powder is used?

No. I had about the same experience as you when I inquired last year.
I don't think you should have a problem with WC844 if that is all you have.

I would start at 22grs and work up until pressure signs. I would guess
somewhere up to 24-24.5grs before that happens.

Someone chrono'ed some factory rounds and I remember them being pretty slow.

Ironman8
10-30-12, 12:29
No. I had about the same experience as you when I inquired last year.
I don't think you should have a problem with WC844 if that is all you have.

I would start at 22grs and work up until pressure signs. I would guess
somewhere up to 24-24.5grs before that happens.

Someone chrono'ed some factory rounds and I remember them being pretty slow.

Yeah I remember hearing the factory load ran slow.

So I take it you didn't load any yourself?

Stump70
10-30-12, 17:18
Yeah I remember hearing the factory load ran slow.

So I take it you didn't load any yourself?

I did! Thanks for reminding me. I even found my load data.

LC 1x
24.5grs W748
WSR
I loaded to 2.220, still on cannelure.

Out of a 20" barrel I got 2898-2950 fps.
HTH

jstone
10-31-12, 01:29
Speer and federal are a pain in the as to deal with if you want help with loading data.

There is probably only a slim chance the factory loading used a canister grade powder. I don't personally like the powder you chose but it should work fine. I would use Imr820xbr i would find data for a 60-62 grain bullet drop the charge by about half grain, and work up over a known accurate chrono.

I have been trying to settle on load data for the 64 grain nosler bonded solid base bullets i have. They are a very similar construction, and nosler said to find data for a 60-64 grain bullet, and start from there.

polymorpheous
10-31-12, 03:16
Where did you find the bullets?

jstone
10-31-12, 04:00
Are you referring to the tbbc ironman is talking about or the nosler bonded solid base i was referring to?

polymorpheous
10-31-12, 05:00
Are you referring to the tbbc ironman is talking about or the nosler bonded solid base i was referring to?

The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Everyone has the Nosler stuff in stock.
They aren't cheap though!

jstone
10-31-12, 07:42
Yeah everyone has nosler products in stock, but you won't find the bonded solid base it is not sold like most of there products. They have roughly the same construction as the tbbc. I stumbled onto them. I have only seen them on the market once, and Im pretty sure they have only been available a handful of times. They sold out in less then a week . I bought the last 500 in stock, because you rarely can get the tbbc. I figured they were the only thing comparable to the tbbc. They have a bonded lead front section with a solid copper base like the tbbc. Nosler only sells the seconds all the first go to winchester, and silver state armory. Even though they were seconds they were some of the most consistent bullets i have ever purchased.

I asked ironman where he got them. He told me they were pulls, and he bought them all. They were either from pats or rmr. I deleted the pm and cant quite remember.

Ironman8
10-31-12, 08:11
Hey guys, I got the TBBC as pulls from RMR. I was originally looking for Speer GD, and called Jake at RMR to see when he might be getting some in. That was when he told me he had just gotten the TBBC pulls, and hadn't even listed them yet. Well, needless to say, it never did get listed ;) I just got lucky. But give him a call, he's a nice guy and gets some quality stuff (usually pulls) pretty regularly for good prices.

The big unknown to me is how accurate these will be, since the factory load seems to be pretty bad in that department. I'll update my findings here.

Stump70,

Thanks for the follow up on your load data. I'll probably start somewhere around 22gr just to be safe. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono, so I'll just have to really watch close for pressure signs.

jstone,

Thanks for your response as well. Just curious, why don't you like the WC844?

Also, responding to your PM now...

jstone
10-31-12, 08:20
Never used the wc844, but have used its equivalent h355. I did not like it because it did not shoot well at all in anything i had. It would be fine for 55grain fmjs, but i do not load hardly any 55's. I load a lot of matchkings, partitions, and barnes bullets. It might be i did not take enough time to work with it, but i was just disappointed with its performance.

markm
10-31-12, 08:22
Reverse engineering is unsafe. There are ball powders in .223 that have max weights varying from 21.1 up to 27.0 grains.

We don't know what powder or lot of powder went into any factory load.

Ironman8
10-31-12, 08:38
All I'm doing with "reverse engineering" is just getting an idea. I'm not going to weight that powder and put the same exact amount of a different powder in and call it good.

I was told by the guy at Speer to start at 23gr for H335, but that was an educated guess at best. I'm weighing the few different sources that I have and then probably dropping a grain to start with for the load work up.

Ironman8
10-31-12, 08:40
Never used the wc844, but have used its equivalent h355. I did not like it because it did not shoot well at all in anything i had. It would be fine for 55grain fmjs, but i do not load hardly any 55's. I load a lot of matchkings, partitions, and barnes bullets. It might be i did not take enough time to work with it, but i was just disappointed with its performance.

Hmm, that's interesting. Ty, the tech at Barnes that gave me all the TSX/TTSX load data, said that some of the better groups that they got were with H335.

I loaded with Varget since the velocity seems to be a little better for the 70gr TSX, according to their data.

markm
10-31-12, 09:58
H335 is horrendous powder. I only have a pound of that nasty stuff for shooting with my SBR and brake. BRILLIANT flash because it's a double based spherical.

It's a robust powder that stores well, but flashes like a MoFo. I'll only run that stuff in Chrome Lined barrels.

844 and 846 are equally as nasty.

I've never tried my beloved H322 with a 62 grain bullet... But that powder or Benchmark would likely give you something nice.

Varget is great too... just a little more difficult to work with because of the kernal shape and bulk density.

Ironman8
10-31-12, 10:01
H335 is horrendous powder. I only have a pound of that nasty stuff for shooting with my SBR and brake. BRILLIANT flash because it's a double based spherical.

It's a robust powder that stores well, but flashes like a MoFo. I'll only run that stuff in Chrome Lined barrels.

844 and 846 are equally as nasty.

I've never tried my beloved H322 with a 62 grain bullet... But that powder or Benchmark would likely give you something nice.

Varget is great too... just a little more difficult to work with because of the kernal shape and bulk density.

Well I'm counting on the flash retardant of the WC844 to help...and the fact that I bought 32 POUNDS of it...well....:eek:

markm
10-31-12, 10:52
Well I'm counting on the flash retardant of the WC844 to help...and the fact that I bought 32 POUNDS of it...well....:eek:

We shot some of it through my SBR and I was shocked at the flash.

I'd shoot it if I found it local... don't get me wrong... At the price you can get it for, it's worth using.

But for more refined loads, not so much.

jstone
11-04-12, 13:43
Hmm, that's interesting. Ty, the tech at Barnes that gave me all the TSX/TTSX load data, said that some of the better groups that they got were with H335.

I loaded with Varget since the velocity seems to be a little better for the 70gr TSX, according to their data.

Maybe i Will revisit the H355/wc844 i never ended up trying it with any of the Barnes bullets. I normally do not use ball powders. The only ball powders i have right now is cfe223, tac, and blc2. I was given the tac, and blc2.

I have been sitting on the cfe waiting for more load data to become available. There is some out there but not much. I almost wish i would not have bought as much as i did. It seems to fall short of my beloved imr8208xbr. Im hoping early next year more data Will be available.

If your still interests in testing the bullets let me know.

bfoosh006
11-19-12, 21:45
Speer Technical Services at 866-286-7436.

You might try giving them a phone call.

Years ago I found data from Speer for their 55gr TBBC bullets. If it helps at all, I could look for it. The data was lower than standard 55 gr data. It might help you extrapolate some starting charge data for your 62gr TBBC.

Here is the 55 grain TBBC data........
http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/223RemTB.pdf

shootist~
11-19-12, 23:29
Speer Technical Services at 866-286-7436.

You might try giving them a phone call.

Years ago I found data from Speer for their 55gr TBBC bullets. If it helps at all, I could look for it. The data was lower than standard 55 gr data. It might help you extrapolate some starting charge data for your 62gr TBBC.

Here is the 55 grain TBBC data........
http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/223RemTB.pdf

Interesting. I loaded some 55 gr TBBCs in 1997 [yikes!] at 0.2 grains below the listed max /w 748. Except for shooting a group to test POI, the're still on my shelf.