PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new M4 type AR

sseeya2001
10-30-12, 19:39
I went to my local gun store today, and inquired about getting a ar-15 m4 type carbine. I was told by the gun smith that I could have a rifle built for around 750$ + 50$ to put together. Instead of buying a Colt 6920, which I have been eyeballing for some time now. They would use a DSarms Lower receiver, spider tactical cold hammer forged 14.5 inch barrel with a flash hider that would put the rifle in the nfa specs. I can upgrade any trigger parts I like, the furniture would most likely be magpul. I am not sure which upper receiver they would use. It would also have a m16 bolt. The feed ramp was smooth as well going into the chamber. I plan on using a ACOG on this rifle.I used M4's in the Army for the last ten years, just got out of the service this month. I really want a M4 type rifle, as I have a lot of goodies already for it. I would love to hear your opinions on this set up and /or suggestions. I also have a Springfield M1A, my long distance shooter, and a Norinco Mak 91 for fun. Thanks in advance.

Moonlight Again
10-30-12, 19:53
I'll bet you don't get a single vote for the shop-built rifle. Get the 6920. It's as close as possible to the M4 you packed, and it's going to work well right out of the box, and if by some bizarre happenstance there's a problem, Colt will make it right.

The only reason I didn't go with Colt was that I wanted to try a middy, and then I went BCM.

NeoNeanderthal
10-30-12, 20:01
Dont ****ing do it. Really really dont.

for 800 bucks it's not worth being like every other dumbass who gets a shitty AR, blames it on the design and thinks only AK's run.

Shitty AR's dont run well. Period. Buy a Colt for 1000 at walmart. or a BCM for 900 bucks. Pay an extra 100-200 dollars and get a good gun!! It'll be well worth it.

48J
10-30-12, 20:09
Get the Colt LE 6920. It is as close to an M4 as you can get in the civilian marketplace. You can find all the information you could want on this site if you are interested in learning about the M4 platform. Use the orange search button and read the AR General and technical forums. You will find answers to most of your questions in those forums. You will also find venders here that offer good prices on the 6920.

DeltaSierra
10-30-12, 20:51
Dont ****ing do it. Really really dont.

Listen to this guy....

Shitty AR's dont run well. Period.

Yep, I agree...

Buy a Colt for 1000 at walmart. or a BCM for 900 bucks. Pay an extra 100-200 dollars and get a good gun!! It'll be well worth it.

You know, this is some of the best advice I've seen on the subject...

Hey, OP - in case you didn't get my point....

Get the Colt...

sseeya2001
10-30-12, 20:54
Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to get another opinion, thanks

mkmckinley
10-30-12, 21:00
Frankly you don't know what you don't know and apparently neither does the local gun plumber. Get the Colt. I'd even look for a 6720 over a 6920 but either will be much better than a cheapo kit build.

crusader377
10-31-12, 08:37
Get the Colt. I have talked to a few of the local claimed AR builders in my area over the years and was amazed that many of them were using mil-spec DPMS parts :(.

If you want build you should first spend alot of time researching and then build or if you want a professional custom build gun I would contact the likes of GR Tactical or Rainier Arms and have them build you a rifle to your specs.

C4IGrant
10-31-12, 08:54
First let me say that I don't know who your gunsmith is, but from my experience most of them know next to NOTHING about how to properly assemble an AR. They know ABSOLUTELY nothing about where quality parts come from or what actually makes a part quality.

Second, when you buy a "parts gun" the re-sale of it is about zero and you will have to part it out (assuming you know the name brand of each part). So there is little to no trade value for this weapon.

Third, if there is a problem with the gun, who is going to fix it? The gun store that built it and is either no longer in business or the gunsmith that no longer works there?

With Colt AR's selling for around $1k, BCM's for under $1k I cannot imagine why anyone would buy what you described.

C4

mikeith
10-31-12, 09:29
well Grant pretty much summed it up!

kwg020
10-31-12, 20:09
Start with quality, get the Colt. It's THE standard. kwg

Iraqgunz
10-31-12, 20:42
Might as well get used to these kinds of threads because they just going to keep popping up until election Panic is over.

ComeNTakeIt
10-31-12, 21:35
First let me say that I don't know who your gunsmith is, but from my experience most of them know next to NOTHING about how to properly assemble an AR. They know ABSOLUTELY nothing about where quality parts come from or what actually makes a part quality.

Second, when you buy a "parts gun" the re-sale of it is about zero and you will have to part it out (assuming you know the name brand of each part). So there is little to no trade value for this weapon.

Third, if there is a problem with the gun, who is going to fix it? The gun store that built it and is either no longer in business or the gunsmith that no longer works there?

With Colt AR's selling for around $1k, BCM's for under $1k I cannot imagine why anyone would buy what you described.

C4

This seems logical.

arushus
10-31-12, 22:21
For all of the reasons already stated, get the Colt! The fact that it is as close as possible to what you used in the military is huge. You know what youre getting with the colt, who knows what kind of mess you will end up with from someone else's idea of a quality custom build?

Door Kicker
10-31-12, 22:56
get the Colt from Walmart like was suggested above.

But then, when you decide you want a second or a third or tenth... Buy stripped lowers and build your own. Just make sure you educate yourself on where to get good Mil Spec parts

CarlosDJackal
10-31-12, 23:29
I've assembled about a half dozen lowers and all of them are still running great to include three I SBRd (using three different manufacturers). The oldest have had more than 20,000-rounds shot through it and another has had more than 10,000-rounds (all documented). As long as you use a good quality receiver and good quality parts, it will last.

But I would never recommend assembling an upper receiver group, In all my builds I have used quality upper assemblies from BCM, LMT or LWRC. But in the end you end up spending more than if you purchased a complete Colt 6920 carbine yourself.

Personally, I only did the assembly myself because I like assembling things. My next SBR (I'm considering a 6.8 SPC) will be factory built and transferred via ATF Form 4.

Split66
11-01-12, 00:01
Might as well get used to these kinds of threads because they just going to keep popping up until election Panic is over.

Then doesnt end of the world panic kick in? Mods better bust out your carpal tunnel braces.

OP good advice here, good luck in your choice.

Bro KV
11-01-12, 00:14
Sig M400??

AKDoug
11-01-12, 01:07
Too many unknowns on the Sig 400. Not any unknowns on the Colt at very little more money.

fdxpilot
11-01-12, 01:09
I went to my local gun store today, and inquired about getting a ar-15 m4 type carbine. ..........I used M4's in the Army for the last ten years, just got out of the service this month. I really want a M4 type rifle, as I have a lot of goodies already for it. I would love to hear your opinions on this set up and /or suggestions. I also have a Springfield M1A, my long distance shooter, and a Norinco Mak 91 for fun. Thanks in advance.

If you want an M4, get one. This is the rollmark on my LE6920, purchased this summer.

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u520/Mike_Frey/LE692001.jpg

Other than the semi-auto FCG and the street-legal barrel length, it is an M4.

polymorpheous
11-01-12, 01:20

Can we change over to LF type rules please?

This shit gives me a headache.

vicious_cb
11-01-12, 01:47
I went to my local gun store today, and inquired about getting a ar-15 m4 type carbine. I was told by the gun smith that I could have a rifle built for around 750$ + 50$ to put together. Instead of buying a Colt 6920, which I have been eyeballing for some time now. They would use a DSarms Lower receiver, spider tactical cold hammer forged 14.5 inch barrel with a flash hider that would put the rifle in the nfa specs. I can upgrade any trigger parts I like, the furniture would most likely be magpul. I am not sure which upper receiver they would use. It would also have a m16 bolt. The feed ramp was smooth as well going into the chamber. I plan on using a ACOG on this rifle.I used M4's in the Army for the last ten years, just got out of the service this month. I really want a M4 type rifle, as I have a lot of goodies already for it. I would love to hear your opinions on this set up and /or suggestions. I also have a Springfield M1A, my long distance shooter, and a Norinco Mak 91 for fun. Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt trust him. He could buy complete shit parts for your upper for $500 and pocket the $250 and the assembly fee for all you know. Just buy a good factory upper from one of the above stated mfgs. and leave it at that.

djmorris
11-01-12, 10:11
Get the Colt 6920 from Walmart for about $1k, or BudsGunShop.com sells BCM's also for about $1k and you can opt to put it on a 90 day layaway.

polymorpheous
11-01-12, 10:18
Get the Colt 6920 from Walmart for about $1k, or BudsGunShop.com sells BCM's also for about $1k and you can opt to put it on a 90 day layaway.

What he said.
No brainer!
Walmart does layaway too I believe.

Gun
11-01-12, 10:31
They would use a ..., ... 14.5 inch barrel with a flash hider that would put the rifle in the nfa specs.

Did you misunderstand this gun smith, or is he really trying to sell you an NFA rifle?

Todd00000
11-02-12, 08:07
I'll bet you don't get a single vote for the shop-built rifle. Get the 6920. It's as close as possible to the M4 you packed, and it's going to work well right out of the box, and if by some bizarre happenstance there's a problem, Colt will make it right.

The only reason I didn't go with Colt was that I wanted to try a middy, and then I went BCM.

I agree, that's what I did, then order a 14.5 barrel and have it installed later, if that's what you want.

Beat Trash
11-02-12, 08:49

C4

Listen to this!

I would be willing to bet your Gunsmith has a higher profit margin on the "parts gun"he is trying to sell you than on the Colt.

Just about any damn fool can watch a YouTube video and assemble an AR, so that the parts will stay together while handling the gun in a shop. This doesn't mean that the individual knows what they are doing. This doesn't mean that the individual used parts made with the same quality control to the same standards that you will find in the factory assembled Colt 6920.

There are a few individuals who could put together a gun from parts that would be good to go (Grant quoted above being one of them), but by the time you bought quality parts, you might as well have bought a Colt or a BCM and be done with it!

500grains
11-02-12, 08:59
I went to my local gun store today, and inquired about getting a ar-15 m4 type carbine. I was told by the gun smith that I could have a rifle built for around 750$ + 50$ to put together. Instead of buying a Colt 6920, which I have been eyeballing for some time now. They would use a DSarms Lower receiver, spider tactical cold hammer forged 14.5 inch barrel with a flash hider that would put the rifle in the nfa specs. I can upgrade any trigger parts I like, the furniture would most likely be magpul. I am not sure which upper receiver they would use. It would also have a m16 bolt. The feed ramp was smooth as well going into the chamber. I plan on using a ACOG on this rifle.I used M4's in the Army for the last ten years, just got out of the service this month. I really want a M4 type rifle, as I have a lot of goodies already for it. I would love to hear your opinions on this set up and /or suggestions. I also have a Springfield M1A, my long distance shooter, and a Norinco Mak 91 for fun. Thanks in advance.4

You are about to get royally ripped off. I know a guy who "builds top quality custom AR15s". He uses barrels from Model 1 Sales that are Airsoft quality crap. I bet your local gun store is doing the same thing.

sseeya2001
11-03-12, 15:11
Well did it today got a Colt LE6920 , walmart special only paid 1k for it plus tax. Thanks for everyones input!

fdxpilot
11-03-12, 15:56
Well did it today got a Colt LE6920 , walmart special only paid 1k for it plus tax. Thanks for everyones input!

Good decision. Welcome to the club. ;)

cinco
11-03-12, 16:40
Can I suggest a better (IMO) alternative to "buy from Walmart"? There is a site sponsor with a good reputation that will stand behind the sale.

You can get the LE6920 from Grant (G&R Tactical) for $1050 and add a BCM Gunfighter charging handle (he'll swap) at a discount. Likely less than from your Walmart - who will charge tax (here it's almost 10% :eek:). Of course there is a small shipping charge + FFL xfer. Its nice to support a small business with good old fashioned service.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

BTW - thanks Grant for my back-up rifle:)

EDIT - Well damn, I see you edited your last post, and my above reply was too slow. However, wise choice on the 6920.

59_Gretsch
11-03-12, 16:45
Don't listen to anyone here, just get the Frankengun! :sarcastic:

Kidding obviously. Colt for the win.

Can I suggest a better (IMO) alternative to "buy from Walmart"? There is a site sponsor with a good reputation that will stand behind the sale.

You can get the LE6920 from Grant (G&R Tactical) for $1050 and add a BCM Gunfighter charging handle (he'll swap) at a discount. Likely less than from your Walmart - who will charge tax (here it's almost 10% :eek:). Of course there is a small shipping charge + FFL xfer. Its nice to support a small business with good old fashioned service.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

BTW - thanks Grant for my back-up rifle:)

EDIT - Well damn, I see you edited your last post, and my above reply was too slow. However, wise choice on the 6920.

and what he said. Grant G&R for the win, win.

Safetyhit
11-03-12, 17:41

Ideally for Grant they will be popping up for decades to come. There are 314,000,000 people in the United States while membership here now stands at just over 59,000 (not to disrespect this very respectable figure). So with that, consider tens of millions of current gun owners combined with millions more potential gun owners and as membership ideally swells questions, yes even the dreaded easily searchable ones, will be asked repeatedly.

Making some of these folks feel dumb isn't necessarily helpful, maintaining a knowledgeable yet respectable is level of discussion is. Not directing that part at you simply because while you can become impatient at times you have also generously dispensed tons of helpful information to thousands. Hopefully you get my main point.

And yes, people can eventually become despondent with what over time they feel becomes a redundant yet seemingly thankless task. But I bet if you knew how many out there have put your words to use behind the scenes over the years you'd feel better about fielding the newcomer questions more often.

By the way, do you guys get paid yet? :D

Mr.Anderson
11-03-12, 17:45
I was contemplating "building" an M4. I mean, build it. As in put together everything on it. Not just slap an upper and a lower together.

However...

Being the Colt's have come way down in price and you get the MOE stock to boot... I just can't rationalize building one to save $200(ish) and sacrifice on quality parts.

I will be taking the forum advice and get an M4 from Grant.
As of now, they are outta stock. No matter. I'm not that rich yet. Which, was another factor to building one but I will just save up.

cinco
11-03-12, 20:51
I was contemplating "building" an M4. I mean, build it. As in put together everything on it. Not just slap an upper and a lower together.

However...

Being the Colt's have come way down in price and you get the MOE stock to boot... I just can't rationalize building one to save $200(ish) and sacrifice on quality parts.

I will be taking the forum advice and get an M4 from Grant.
As of now, they are outta stock. No matter. I'm not that rich yet. Which, was another factor to building one but I will just save up.

I see myself in your thought processes. I used to be so impulsive in my younger days and tended to rush into things. As I've grown more mature (older :p), I have learned to allow myself to "stew" upon things and humbly take advice from those more experienced. Thanks to this site I have made wise choices. Quality is NEVER a bad decision - you will not be disappointed.

Mr.Anderson
11-03-12, 21:24
I see myself in your thought processes. I used to be so impulsive in my younger days and tended to rush into things. As I've grown more mature (older :p), I have learned to allow myself to "stew" upon things and humbly take advice from those more experienced. Thanks to this site I have made wise choices. Quality is NEVER a bad decision - you will not be disappointed.

ha! Problem is, I'm passing my "younger days" rather quickly now.
Opinions vary but being 35, I definitely do not feel like I'm 25.
Mentally, I'm satisfied. Physically? eh. Between driving truck and a family it's hard for me to stay in peak physical condition.

Speaking of mentally...
I found these tonight. And now my head is actually spinning.

Decisions, decisions!
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

or

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=A4-870-212

I really see that 20" in my future turned into an SPR role.

cinco
11-04-12, 08:56
ha! Problem is, I'm passing my "younger days" rather quickly now.
Opinions vary but being 35, I definitely do not feel like I'm 25.
Mentally, I'm satisfied. Physically? eh. Between driving truck and a family it's hard for me to stay in peak physical condition.

Speaking of mentally...
I found these tonight. And now my head is actually spinning.

Decisions, decisions!
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-Cor

I really see that 20" in my future turned into an SPR role.

Ha ha - now I know we are alike:p The B C M 16 " middy is my go to rifle, the 6 9 2 0 is the b/u. Either one you can't go wrong and are great investments. Personally I prefer the longer reach of the mid as I'm tallish... Good luck - the hard part is the waiting.

Moonlight Again
11-04-12, 08:59
Ha ha - now I know we are alike:p The B C M 16 " middy is my go to rifle, the 6 9 2 0 is the b/u. Either one you can't go wrong and are great investments. Personally I prefer the longer reach of the mid as I'm tallish... Good luck - the hard part is the waiting.

That BCM middy is the way I went---straight from Grant. What a great little rifle. I'm with you on the extra reach of the mid.

As far as I can tell, the only reason not to get a 6920 from Wal-Mart is to get a BCM from Grant.

Mr.Anderson
11-04-12, 10:01
The wait is always the hard part it seems, you are correct.

I was really looking at that 20" from Grant (BCM) because I'm leaning toward an SPR type set up. I figure IT would be a better starting point than the 16" (which being a middy, would def appeal to me), due to having to buy a stock and rail system.

I'm totally happy with the A2 style stock. IF I were to replace it, the PRS has my eye. But I don't think that is really necessary.

The 20" is slightly higher, but again, I feel it is already heading toward the place I wanna go.
No matter, I got time to think it over lol.

Got distracted today by thinking about a$600 M&P and then buying a REM700 tactical for another $600 that way my eggs aren't all in one basket. But I can't find the M&P for $600 (other than the sport line, which, w/out the FA and dust cover, just doesn't appeal to me) like the OP found for $600... which, turns out wasn't even a new complete M&P? lol - I dunno. Waiting, watching :) biding time.

(*ETA* - wrong thread ha - I was referring to another thread where the OP bought an M&P from a local gun shop for $600 and turned out it was only the lower and he had lots of prob's out of it and blah blah - here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101317)

That is the thing about aging... I have much more patience at 35 compared to 25 and I can sacrifice alittle physical strength/stamina for that and still get it done. hooah?

Moonlight Again
11-04-12, 10:34
Well, if not a hooah, at least an ooh-rah!

I don't really like the A2 stock . . . but that's only because I prefer the 5/8" shorter A1 stock. One of my dirty little secrets is I always preferred the rifle stock because the rifle buffer and spring are smooth as twenty year old Scotch whisky. (No "e" in whisky!) The Vltor A5 extension/buffer/spring setup has finally made collapsible stocks worthwhile for me.

It took me a long, long time to get back into the AR market. I sweated and pondered and calculated and figgered and tried to find the best, cheapest solution. Lots of reading here, lots of reading at TOS. Finally I narrowed it down to (yes) either a Colt or a BCM middy. My only regret is that I didn't hold out for a LW middy---and that's a piddling regret.

As for aging, I'm trying to claw my way back. Hopefully my greater patience will make up for my piss=poor physical conditioning at present; I've got a long slog back to fitness ahead of me.

AMMOTECH
11-04-12, 10:37
Congrats on your new weapon.

Whytep38
11-07-12, 22:47
First let me say that I don't know who your gunsmith is, but from my experience most of them know next to NOTHING about how to properly assemble an AR.Just out of curiosity, when you say "properly assemble," are you talking about a) the task of physically assembling the parts, or b) selecting quality parts, or c) both?

I agree that there are plenty of gunsmiths who really don't know what's what when it comes to the quality differences between different parts. I'm a little less clear about gunsmiths having difficulty with physically assembling the parts. I mean, I understand how some people can't even tie their shoes, and some of them claim to be gunsmiths. I've met several who claim to do trigger jobs, and they've certainly done "the job" to plenty of triggers.

But in general, ARs seem relatively simple to assemble, regardless of parts quality. So if a lot of gunsmiths don't know how physically assemble an AR properly, could you tell us what they tend to do that isn't proper? I want to know so I can double-check own work. I'm not a gunsmith, but I do my own basic work on my own gear, so I want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

Thanks.

C4IGrant
11-08-12, 09:35
Just out of curiosity, when you say "properly assemble," are you talking about a) the task of physically assembling the parts, or b) selecting quality parts, or c) both?

C

But in general, ARs seem relatively simple to assemble, regardless of parts quality. So if a lot of gunsmiths don't know how physically assemble an AR properly, could you tell us what they tend to do that isn't proper? I want to know so I can double-check own work. I'm not a gunsmith, but I do my own basic work on my own gear, so I want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

Thanks.

The AR (in theory) is very simple to build. This is the trap IMHO. Yes, people build them all day long and most times they run. Did they build them WELL though? No they didn't and is really a testament to the AR that it can be assembled half-ass and still run.

If you want to learn how to do it, attend a professionally taught armorers class. Colt, Ned C., etc come to mind. Then build your own gun over and over and over.

C4

Whytep38
11-08-12, 09:58
C
If you want to learn how to do it, attend a professionally taught armorers class. Colt, Ned C., etc come to mind. Then build your own gun over and over and over.
C4Good info, thanks.

In the meantime, I know about the need for properly staking the gas key screws and how to properly mount the barrel to the upper. Are there any other major gotchas to look out for?

digiadaamore
11-08-12, 10:56
just wondering where you guys find the BCM guns for 900 or less?

C4IGrant
11-08-12, 11:12
Good info, thanks.

In the meantime, I know about the need for properly staking the gas key screws and how to properly mount the barrel to the upper. Are there any other major gotchas to look out for?

Tons. For instance, do you have calibrated torque wrenches? How many times do you go over nuts or screws when tightening them??

How do you ensure that the barrel nut is lined up with gas port on the barrel?

The list goes on and on.

C4

C4IGrant
11-08-12, 11:13
just wondering where you guys find the BCM guns for 900 or less?

Most people buy uppers and lowers seperately (from us). This avoids the 11% FET. While it isn't a factory built weapon, it is the next best thing.

C4

digiadaamore
11-08-12, 11:35
Most people buy uppers and lowers seperately (from us). This avoids the 11% FET. While it isn't a factory built weapon, it is the next best thing.

C4
Grant, ive been on your site all day building combinations of uppers and lowers. i cant get close to 900$ for everything ie with bcg, charging handle and a stock. Am i doing it wrong?
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

SteveS
11-09-12, 13:59
Colt or BCM and Daniel Defense are the best of the best.

Mr.Anderson
11-09-12, 16:26
Speaking of Grant's site...

By God I hope you have this in stock when I get the funds soon :)

C4IGrant
11-09-12, 16:27
Speaking of Grant's site...

By God I hope you have this in stock when I get the funds soon :)

4 in stock waiting for happy homes!

C4

AMMOTECH
11-09-12, 16:28

C4

+1 on this.

I purchased my BCM upper on 3/10 direct from BCM and ran it on a bushmaster lower for a couple months. On 6/10 I ordered a BCM lower from G&R to complete the rifle. :cool:

C4IGrant
11-09-12, 16:33
Grant, ive been on your site all day building combinations of uppers and lowers. i cant get close to 900$ for everything ie with bcg, charging handle and a stock. Am i doing it wrong?
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

The $900 price that people are referring too is when BCM had blem lowers and their uppers and BCG's were slightly cheaper.

C4

hank_612
11-09-12, 19:27
That BCM middy is the way I went---straight from Grant. What a great little rifle. I'm with you on the extra reach of the mid.

As far as I can tell, the only reason not to get a 6920 from Wal-Mart is to get a BCM from Grant.

I agree buy the BCM preferably with a mid length gas system. Even at 1100.

Abraxas
11-09-12, 19:46
Not just no but f@#$ no. Get the Colt or go find a BCM.

Moonlight Again
11-09-12, 19:57
Hey guys: In post number 29, the OP got the Colt. So it's another M4C success story.

digiadaamore
11-09-12, 22:07
The $900 price that people are referring too is when BCM had blem lowers and their uppers and BCG's were slightly cheaper.

C4

Do you know if those blem lowers will come back at somepoint? I might hold off if they will

C4IGrant
11-10-12, 07:12
Do you know if those blem lowers will come back at somepoint? I might hold off if they will

They are gone forever.

C4