PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

davidjinks
10-30-12, 20:18
Deleted

HerreraM1G
10-30-12, 20:28
So iv had that happen before with my Ar so I went to my local surplus got 20 foot of thin para cord now all I do is tie brush heds to the cord and rip them through it works and not hard to do

landrvrnut22
10-31-12, 10:41
I use about the same cleaning procedure as you on my MkII 22LR, with one difference.

After I let the solvent sit for a bit, I run another wet patch through, then switch to dry patches.

I don't have to exert any extra force with the dry patches.

The only other thing I can think of is your patches are too big/thick, and are making the jag too tight.

HerreraM1G
10-31-12, 13:02
Well one other thing you can do is cut the Patches in small strips that helps. Another thing you could try is I have some old t-shirt sleeves that I cut off, tear a piece off and ram it through the barrel with a good rod. O yeah is the rod you use brass or aluminum? I use aluminum for my longer rifles

davidjinks
10-31-12, 13:48
Deleted

wingspar
11-02-12, 13:01
I’ve never used a jag with my 93R17, but I have no problems like you describe with .22 patches and a .17 brush.

mark5pt56
11-02-12, 20:52
RIfle has ~450 rounds through it. I clean it in 100 round intervals. I've been running Hornady 17 grain VMAX. I've tested a couple others but the rifle didn't like them.

I use a Dewey 1 piece coated rod with attachments and the Dewey adjustable .17-.22 caliber bore guide.

Here's the issue I'm having. I will rod the bore 5 times with a brush. Let the solvent (G96) soak for about 10 minutes. I will rod the bore 3 more times with the brush and then change to the jag attachment. I use the appropriately sized bore patches with the jag (.17 cal).

For the first 2 patches (Dry) it's almost impossible to get the rod and jag through the bore. I'm talking it takes superhuman gorilla strength to run the first 2 patches. I've flexed the cleaning rod a couple times even while using the bore guide. I ran the rod once without the bore guide and I damn near snapped the thing in half.

After the first 2 patches are through every patch afterwords is an easy day. I can run a 100 patches after the first 2 and they run smooth whether they're wet or dry.

What am I doing wrong here?

That's just resistance with any build up you have in the bore(coefficient of friction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction ). I would suggest using two wet patches first. After the first patch, wait about a minute, second patch, wait a couple more, then dry patch it. If you feel the need to clean more, wet patch, then do the brush, dry patch it out then finish with a oil of choice. That way you are not "smearing" debris back and forth in the bore with the brush. Think of the bore in the same manner you would treat a lens, clean it the same as you are now and you won't see through it well for long. After you read the link, you will see it makes sense. Even when you "dry patch" AFTER the wet patch/brush, it's really not dry since there some lubricity to the surface. --I'm not an engineer by the way.

davidjinks
11-07-12, 12:11
Deleted

Littlelebowski
11-07-12, 12:30
How much are you cleaning?

davidjinks
11-07-12, 21:17
Deleted

davidjinks
11-13-12, 18:48
Deleted