PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Ammo and Arms barrels???

azlester
10-30-12, 22:58
Does anyone have any inputs on the barrels they sell? I emailed them to ask who mfg the barrels for them and I was told that they make them.
Thanks for your time and inputs

jet66
10-31-12, 05:45
Does anyone have any inputs on the barrels they sell? I emailed them to ask who mfg the barrels for them and I was told that they make them.
Thanks for your time and inputs

Their 'better' chrome-lined barrels ($134.99 vs. the non-chromed $99 ones) are marked as just being 4140 chromoly steel. Personally I'd rather spend just a little more for a CMV bbl, if budget is an issue. If you plan on keeping it for a long time and shooting it a lot, CMV steel is the least you should consider, if not CHF. You're only looking at a $165 difference between the SAA chromoly and a BCM CHF, and a $35 difference between the SAA and a PSA CMV.

richdkim77
10-31-12, 12:01
I've been to the shop several times, and they are either unaware of their barrel specs or where they get them from. I would spend a little more to buy known quality.

fallenromeo
10-31-12, 14:47
agree with what everyone says. For not a lot more, you can get a much higher quality barrel. For an extra $158 you can get a CHF 1:7 DD barrel with a low profile gas block already pinned on. That alone will save you another 50 bucks or so at least.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD06158&name=Daniel+Defense+16%22+5.56mm+CHF+Mid-length+w%2f+pinned+LPG&groupid=573

faster200
10-31-12, 14:52
I was under the impression that Black Hole Armory makes their barrels. They are just north of me. I was planning on heading up there with one of my shooting buddies in a day or so, and I will report back.

azlester
10-31-12, 15:15
I was under the impression that Black Hole Armory makes their barrels. They are just north of me. I was planning on heading up there with one of my shooting buddies in a day or so, and I will report back.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.

Merle
10-31-12, 16:09
Black Hole Weaponry makes their stainless barrels and they are marked as such. They also have FN hammer forged 16" M4 profile barrels and they have the FN logo stamped in them. I'm not sure where their cheap 4140 surplus ammo marked barrels come from. I was there today but forgot to ask. Probably wouldn't tell me anyways.

MistWolf
10-31-12, 17:56
It still takes a lot of shooting to wear out a 4140 steel barrel

azlester
10-31-12, 19:22
I really do appreciate the inputs about better barrels I really do. But, unless one or two of you gentlemen would like to kick in the extra money I can only afford what I can afford. I am selling off some of my stuff just to try and get this build done as it is.
This build will not be attending 30 or 40 carbine classes nor will it ever be able to afford the 20-30 thousand rounds it will take to shoot out the barrel. A 4140 steel barrel will be just fine. I just want to be able to get the best barrel I can afford. Times are tough, as we all know, and it doesn't look like things are going to be getting any better any time soon.
Thank you again for your valuable inputs

jstone
10-31-12, 21:06
Which barrel are you going to get? The 134 chromelined or the 99 dollar one. The reason i ask is right now psa has a hammer forged cmv barrel for 169. When are you planning to purchase if you already have not purchased.

Edit: its actually not hammer forged, but made by fn. It is midlength if you do not have a gas tube yet midlength should not be a problem. As long as you do not mind running a middy. If you can't afford the extra 30-50 dollars that is completely understandable. I just thought i would say something in case you can afford a slight increase in price, but not a big increase. Im sure the 4140 would be fine for your intended use.

azlester
10-31-12, 22:07
Which barrel are you going to get? The 134 chromelined or the 99 dollar one. The reason i ask is right now psa has a hammer forged cmv barrel for 169. When are you planning to purchase if you already have not purchased.

Edit: its actually not hammer forged, but made by fn. It is midlength if you do not have a gas tube yet midlength should not be a problem. As long as you do not mind running a middy. If you can't afford the extra 30-50 dollars that is completely understandable. I just thought i would say something in case you can afford a slight increase in price, but not a big increase. Im sure the 4140 would be fine for your intended use.

I am considering one of the $99 barrels. I would love to be able to get one of the PSA barrels...just not within my budget at this time.
Thank you for the thought.

LeviTX
10-31-12, 23:45
I picked up one of their $134 16" M4 chrome-lined SAA barrels a few months ago to see how they'd work out for a budget build.

While it did work, I wasn't satisfied with it at all, sold it locally, and went with a BCM M4 CL barrel on instead.

My observations were that it was overgassed enough to put the timing off or the chamber was out of spec holding onto the brass.

freebug
11-06-12, 22:16
The $134 barrel is from SSA. The quality is okay. It is chrome lined but the barrel extension is also parkerized on the inside which I think is not regular. Overall, it okay and I'm going to use it in another build.

Unicorn
11-07-12, 13:03
I work for Surplus Ammo & Arms, the store itself, the online site is actually a completely separate company, they distribute our Surplus Ammo & Arms products, and they sell their own products. Their name is actually SAA. We spun off from them about a year ago.

Our barrels are contracted out like most companies. We both sell Blackhole barrels, and they are marked as such. SS, P3, 1/8.

There are a number of barrel makers in the AR world, similar to how there are a ton of machine shops making uppers and lowers.

Base your purchase on your perceived wants and needs as well as price. I like CMV (NOT the same thing as 4150), chrome lined, 1/7 such as made by Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, or Bravo Company. But I'm spoiled. :smile:

I've only known a couple people who've shot out barrels. Well other than say benchrest shooters who lose accuracy for them at about 1,000 rounds. It is a good feeling to have a barrel that will outlast me, but sometimes I have to be realistic and make a compromise.

discreet
11-09-12, 22:18
I've been to the shop several times, and they are either unaware of their barrel specs or where they get them from. I would spend a little more to buy known quality.

Considering Aero Precision makes their uppers and lowers, and considering Aero Precision hasn't yet named who the new barrel MFG is for their AR57 Gen2 Uppers, who knows who is making them. I assume if Aero Precision is making their uppers and lowers, they probably are making their BCG's as well for them.

Good stuff, as Aero Precision is a newcommer on the market in terms of mass, compared to companies like crapdpms, bushy etc. I really respect the guys at Aero Precision, but their QC is lackluster at best. None the less, I'm hoping surplus ammo is working with them on barrels and BCG's as I'd love to ginny pig em out and see what they are made of.

Unicorn
11-14-12, 23:47
I know who makes our barrels. Like most companies we don't state who we contract.
1/9, 4140 chrome moly, not chrome lined.
1/9 and 1/7 chrome lined 4140.

Aero is new at making products under their own name, but they've been making uppers and lowers for other "manufacturers" fora while. Spike's stated they use Aero for some lowers. One big company uses them as do other smaller companies.

Very few companies make all or even most of their own parts. They contract them and habe the parts made to their specs. Which is also why it doesn't matter if company A and B both gets their bolts from Jimbob's bolt company. A could specify Carpenter 518 steel, while B specs 4150

Win75
11-16-12, 08:47
I recently bought one of SAA's 99 dollar 14.5 inch non-chromed barrels. Everything went together like clockwork.

I have not shot it yet because of a broken foot and skin cancer surgery. I will review it as soon as possible.

discreet
11-28-12, 22:53
I know who makes our barrels. Like most companies we don't state who we contract.

Aero is new at making products under their own name, but they've been making uppers and lowers for other "manufacturers" fora while. Spike's stated they use Aero for some lowers. One big company uses them as do other smaller companies.

Very few companies make all or even most of their own parts. They contract them and habe the parts made to their specs. Which is also why it doesn't matter if company A and B both gets their bolts from Jimbob's bolt company. A could specify Carpenter 518 steel, while B specs 4150

Wasn't it EDCO that made the AR57 barrels. LOL, I should remember because I have an AR57, but the barrel was swapped out not long after I picked the upper up.

AR15barrels
07-26-13, 11:34

Can you verify how the SAA barrels are marked?

I had a barrel through my shop last night that was parkerized chromoly and laser engraved "SA 5.56 NATO 1/9".
Does Surplus Arms and Ammo use the "SA" identifier?

Quick Draw
07-26-13, 11:53
I really do appreciate the inputs about better barrels I really do. But, unless one or two of you gentlemen would like to kick in the extra money I can only afford what I can afford. I am selling off some of my stuff just to try and get this build done as it is.
This build will not be attending 30 or 40 carbine classes nor will it ever be able to afford the 20-30 thousand rounds it will take to shoot out the barrel. A 4140 steel barrel will be just fine. I just want to be able to get the best barrel I can afford. Times are tough, as we all know, and it doesn't look like things are going to be getting any better any time soon.
Thank you again for your valuable inputs

At todays ammo prices and availability you will not likely be able to shoot out any of the barrels you are considering.

I have learned from this site to buy the best quality that I possibly can even if it squeezes the budget. Unless you plan to build it and sell it soon, a firearm is a long term investment.

Either way you go, good luck with your build and enjoy it.