PDA

View Full Version : What colors to use for urban cammo?

Zane1844
10-31-12, 00:52
I am looking to paint my AR. I am looking to paint, with spray paint, so that it will blend in to urban environments, and just to make it look cool.

I am thinking FDE as a base and maybe some other colors, cause FDE seems to not catch the eye like black will.

So, what colors would be best to use? Flat light or dark grays, with black? Krayola paint?

Or what if I choose the FDE base? Dark greens, black, browns?

Beside colors I also have these questions:

If I take out the BCG, and charging handle, and properly tape off certain obvious areas, is there any real danger of damage to my expensive rifle? (BCM upper, aimpoint M3, DD 12 hand guards, M&P lower with new trigger, etc.)

Also would Aimpoint void the warranty if its painted?

Any tips or pointers?

Ouroborous
10-31-12, 00:53
Foliage or ATACS for urban gets my vote.

Iraqgunz
10-31-12, 01:27
I believe that there is a guide and several discussions about how to paint an AR. Try the orange search button.

ThirdWatcher
10-31-12, 03:07
Urban Dark Earth kit for starters: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-ude-kit

UDE Pmags: http://www.laruetactical.com/magpul-30-round-pmag-ude

duece71
10-31-12, 05:34
You may want to head over to the custom build forum, there is a sticky at the top with a title you might be interested in. It is mainly for pics but I am sure you could ask questions. Its also a great place to browse to get some ideas. There is also a well known how to over on a site called Lightfighter.net. Most people it seems use an light tan/FDE base color followed by whatever they choose, greens browns even some greys. Krylon and Aervoe seem to be the most popular brands. As far as damage to your AR, I can't think of how paint applied to the rifle could damage it. Obviously don't paint the interior. I am not sure on the Aimpoint warranty void, I would ask around. Good luck and post the pics in the painted AR section when you are done.

Zane1844
10-31-12, 11:21
Thanks guys! I will keep you updated, if you even care :p, then post pics of the finished project.

I have an extra upper, wish I still had the lower attached to it, but I will practice with that one.

ra2bach
10-31-12, 11:51
Foliage or ATACS for urban gets my vote.

Atacs or ACU. foliage is the base color in ACU. ATACS looks great...

Zane1844
10-31-12, 12:13
While looking through the custom paint jobs on this forum, one stuck out, it had a gray in it that I really liked, I also really liked OD green.

So my base will be FDE, with OD green, and some gray, mixed with some black which will be the original paint.

Zane1844
11-01-12, 18:20
Practicing on my BB gun with primers. I am not going to use these colors for the AR though, just the lighter grey a bit actually.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379073_257957894327412_940705937_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178977_257956827660852_701749917_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/602479_257953770994491_1332118670_n.jpg

DeltaSierra
11-01-12, 19:01
Talk about over-thinking a very simple project....

Painting a rifle to look "cool" is pointless - unless you have a need for a camo'd rifle, don't bother.

If you do paint it, paint it so that it is effective, not "cool" looking...

DeltaSierra
11-01-12, 19:11
- Double Tap -

Zane1844
11-01-12, 19:32

Painting a rifle to look "cool" is pointless - unless you have a need for a camo'd rifle, don't bother.

Well I want it to be effective, I just think camo paint jobs actually look cool. I want to keep this rifle for SHTF situations, so as I may not have a need for it to be camo'd now, I might in the future.

Warp
11-01-12, 20:49

If somebody wants to paint their rifle to look cool, who are you to tell them not to?

DeltaSierra
11-01-12, 21:00
If somebody wants to paint their rifle to look cool, who are you to tell them not to?

It really doesn't matter who I am.

I'm simply offering my opinion, based upon my experience.

Most civilians have no purpose for having a camo'd carbine. If they want one, fine - I'm just a little sick of hearing about how "I wanna do ____ because it looks cool."

If you have no practical purpose for doing something, you either have too much time on your hands, or too much money in your bank account - especially when you start obsessing about meaningless stuff (like, how your carbine looks,) and overlooking important things.

Most civilian shooters would be better off by purchasing any number of items (a Surefire flashlight, for example) rather than wasting their time painting a carbine, much less worrying about whether or not it looks cool.

Warp
11-01-12, 21:16
If you have no practical purpose for doing something, you either have too much time on your hands, or too much money in your bank account

What is your practical purpose for giving him a hard time because he wants to paint his rifle?

Zane1844
11-01-12, 23:09
It really doesn't matter who I am.

I'm simply offering my opinion, based upon my experience.

Most civilians have no purpose for having a camo'd carbine. If they want one, fine - I'm just a little sick of hearing about how "I wanna do ____ because it looks cool."

If you have no practical purpose for doing something, you either have too much time on your hands, or too much money in your bank account - especially when you start obsessing about meaningless stuff (like, how your carbine looks,) and overlooking important things.

Most civilian shooters would be better off by purchasing any number of items (a Surefire flashlight, for example) rather than wasting their time painting a carbine, much less worrying about whether or not it looks cool.

I get what you are saying, but I did not want this thread to turn into an argument.

I'd much rather spend my time training, I just cannot do that right now, but what I can do is projects to set my mind to. It is good for me when I have something to do while home to take my mind off things.

I guess I should have never asked.

BCmJUnKie
11-01-12, 23:46
If you want YOUR rifle to blend in....paint it to match YOUR AO.

You want a custom paintjob with skulls and crazy shit, or you want it to blend in?

IMO, all you need is a pattern to break up the shape...nothing more.

I use some vertical and horizontal stripes on my carbines in FDE, it matches my AO and breaks up the shape. Simple and effective.

If youre looking for colors to use....walk outside and check out the surroundings.

Is it winter? lots of brick? tan grass or green? Trees? concrete jungle?

You will have a better idea for what you NEED.

Split66
11-02-12, 00:30
If you want YOUR rifle to blend in....paint it to match YOUR AO.

You want a custom paintjob with skulls and crazy shit, or you want it to blend in?

IMO, all you need is a pattern to break up the shape...nothing more.

I use some vertical and horizontal stripes on my carbines in FDE, it matches my AO and breaks up the shape. Simple and effective.

If youre looking for colors to use....walk outside and check out the surroundings.

Is it winter? lots of brick? tan grass or green? Trees? concrete jungle?

You will have a better idea for what you NEED.
I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties. Real rough area of operations there.......

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/PeAchEsanDCReaM.jpg

OP on second thought, actually listen to everything he says. His camo is so effective in this pic, I didnt even notice the carbine.

BCmJUnKie
11-02-12, 00:40
I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties. Real rough area of operations there.......

OP actually listen to everything he says. His camo is so effective in this pic, I didnt even notice the carbine.

Sig line! :lol::lol:

Split66
11-02-12, 00:55
Bootyflage. Cover and concealment solutions for the 21st century gunfighter....By BCMjunkie.

Will_Power
11-02-12, 01:48

OP on second thought, actually listen to everything he says. His camo is so effective in this pic, I didnt even notice the carbine.

Wait,wait,wait... there's a carbine in that photo?

Dayum.. that IS some impressive camo!

Atg336
11-02-12, 10:05
As a civilian do whatever you want to the rifle; from Hello Kitty to Satin and Lace tones apply as much as black/gray/off white 'urban' camo. Practicing rifle painting is also good. I recommend Aervoe, get it from DSG Arms, I found that they had the best prices (not a plug).

In practical terms; you should always match your surroundings, the first idea being to break up the shape of the rifle and yourself. After that worry about Martha Stewart color schemes.