PDA

View Full Version : Glocksperts needed: Which Gen II?

Packman73
10-31-12, 08:28
(go to Page 2)

Any generations better than another or any to stay away from? What is the best upgrade to do on a used model? Recoil spring replacement? Sights? Thanks.

C4IGrant
10-31-12, 08:59
Any generations better than another or any to stay away from? What is the best upgrade to do on a used model? Recoil spring replacement? Sights? Thanks.

Well, you could try a GEN 4 and then if it doesn't eject properly, add the Apex Tactical extractor.

For upgrades, I add the Vickers Tactical slide catch (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VSS) and the Vickers Tacticla Mag release (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VGMR).

For sights, I like either the Ameriglo's or Trijicon HD's (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GL101O).

We have all the FDE Glock's in stock and can install any of the parts for free.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=GLOC

C4

BioLayne
10-31-12, 09:03

I'd say Gen 3. For the most part, all glocks are awesome, HOWEVER there have been some issues with the gen 4s. Gen 3s are BASICALLY the same thing other then a few changes

-better recoil spring (in a 9mm this probably isn't going to be a huge difference, but in a 40 or 45 it will)

-interchangeable backstrap which for me isn't a big deal because the glock fits my hand great as is, you may be different.

-grip & finish is a bit different (i couldn't tell much to be honest)

Gen 3s still have the accessory rail and the finger grooves the gen 4s have. I have a Gen 3 G19 and have had 0 problems with it after about 1500 rds.

Magic_Salad0892
10-31-12, 09:11
Gen4 G19.

Add:

Sights.
Grip Force Adapter.
Apex Extractor.
Vickers slide/magazine catch.

Win.

Packman73
10-31-12, 09:37
I very much appreciate the input fellas. I've got a couple of pistols for sale and will be in the market soon. It'll be my first handgun that isn't Croatian.:eek:

Toyoland66
10-31-12, 10:05
I'd say Gen 3. For the most part, all glocks are awesome, HOWEVER there have been some issues with the gen 4s. Gen 3s are BASICALLY the same thing other then a few changes

The issues with new glocks are not limited to the gen4, the gen3's exhibit the same problems. That being said not all of them exhibit these problems, and some don't start to present problems until higher round counts. There are several threads here that discuss these issues as well as solutions.

OP I would recommend handling both the gen3 and gen4 and see which you prefer. I had intended to buy a gen3 g19 until I handled then gen4 and discovered I preferred the grip texture, grip size without back straps, and the mag release. I will also echo what most here have said and recommend adding quality sights, and the vickers mag release and slide stop, I would also recommend adding a grip plug.

ST911
10-31-12, 11:42

Buy one and shoot it. If you have a problem, send it home. The interweb has gone nearly full-retard on the 9mm Glock "issues."

Quality high-vis sights are a worthy upgrade. I am liking the Trijicon HDs. Other lever and button options may or may not offer anything depending on your hand fit to the gun. A new RSA is never a bad idea, just in case the older has extra miles on it. Replacement of the RSA in 9mm models however is not as noteworthy as other calibers, esp 40 and 357 Auto.

brickboy240
10-31-12, 11:51
Read up on this site...there is tons of info on the 9mm Glock ejection problems. Apex Tactical has done fantastic work on identifying and fixing the issues and you will find tons of valuable info in the "Manufacturers" part of this board.

However, there are some people posting on Glock Talk that have bought recently made 9mm Glocks. They post photos that show that MAYBE Glock has quietly fixed their problems. The dip extractor is gone and the range reports show very good results with hundreds of rounds downrange. These were also the newer US/Georgia made Glocks.

Is the erratic ejection issue fixed by it's maker? Maybe....lets hope so! LOL

However, if you wish to avoid this entirely, look for an early made 3rd gen gun or any 2nd gen gun. Those are the guns that literally built Glock's reputation and run well. My ratty looking 1992 made G17 is still humming along and has never given me a lick of trouble.

Good luck in your search and lets hope that Glock has fixed this problem and is back to being the brand we know and love.

-brickboy240

duece71
10-31-12, 12:20
Are you going to carrying? G19 would fit the bill. Definately get new sights, the factory sights are not all that great. I put Heinie Straight 8 ledge sights on mine.

ARonBoard
10-31-12, 16:51
Whats up Packerfan,

We used to BS over on XDTalk (XDonBoard aka Michael from Glendale). Welcome to the dark side. I decided to chime in because I have a few Glocks now after I sold off all of my XDs. The G4 G19 has served me well as my main practice gun and EDC. I dont have any issues with my ejections but others are well documented. If you arent going to carry the Glock then a G17 may suit you well, I find that the G19 is the perfect size handgun, the G4 grip fits my hand perfectly with no backstraps and it conceals very well.

On my G19 I went with a Glock OEM extended slide lock but the Vickers is also a very popular choice. I run ameriglo cap front sight with the hack serated all black rear. That is my favorite sight combo. If you prefer 3 dot I use Trijicon HDs on my MP45. I also change out the trigger for the G17 smooth faced trigger but this is totally preferential.

Let me know if you have any questions and Ill try to help out.

Packman73
10-31-12, 17:28
^Hey, how's it going?^

Thanks for the info fellas. I prefer the Gen 2 but will look at all of them.

dwenslen
10-31-12, 18:12
For me the G19 and G17 feel slightly different in the hand...the 17 seems to feel better even though it's bigger. Depending on what you want to do with it it may be a non-issue.
I've got both gen 3's and an early gen 4. Once i upgaded the oem recoil spring assy it was good to go. But my failure to feed issues may have been related to weak winchester USA white box ammo.
if you like the feel of the gen 4 without a backstrap (have smallish hands) I'd go with that.

Rage Ape
11-02-12, 06:55
Buy a used Gen 2.

I have a Gen 3 19 & 17 and for the most part, they sit in the safe while my Gen 2 17 sees 99% of the action.

Finger grooves suck. That's just a personal opinion since they are never in the right place for me. They always consipre to prevent me from getting as high up on the grip as I want, so they get ground off asap.

If you can live without the rail, there's not much point. I have several hosters for light-mounted guns and I rarely use them. Infact, I only use them at work in plain-clothes.

For general non-work related concealed carry, a weak-side light carrier (or clipped in a pocket) works better for me. I don't plan on doing building-searches and needing a free hand to manipulate my radio, doors, control suspects etc., etc.

The downside I see to NOT having a weapon-mounted light on your CCW is attempting to perform an immediate-action drill to clear a malfunction and having one hand full of gun and the other full of light.

I use my light far more often than I pull my pistol and I already have enough crap to carry.

To each his own and this should in no way be construed as saying it's a bad idea to CCW a gun/light combo. Just personal opinions.

YMMV.

Rage Ape
11-02-12, 07:03
Double-tap.

Keep getting a gateway timeout.

Big A
11-02-12, 07:09

^Hey, how's it going?^

Thanks for the info fellas. I prefer the Gen 2 but will look at all of them.

If you go the used route replacing the guide rod/ recoil spring is cheap peace of mind.

I would certainly put better set of sights on it.

Packman73
11-02-12, 08:26
Once I have the $ to look seriously, I'll be looking @ the gen 2. I don't like the finger grooves either and I don't need a rail.
I'll gladly replace the recoil spring and guide rod and sights.:cool:

bdiddle
11-02-12, 09:20
Just a not on the gen 4 issue.

I bought a 19, 21, and 26 all about two months ago. Also haves an older gen 4 17 with the new ejector and rsa. All the pistols have over a thousand rounds by now and no issues so far. Love the 21.

Cosmo M3
11-02-12, 15:00
I'd say Gen 3. For the most part, all glocks are awesome, HOWEVER there have been some issues with the gen 4s. Gen 3s are BASICALLY the same thing other then a few changes.

the issues include ALL 9mm Glocks manufactured from 2010+

have 1500 rounds through yours? Cool.

It's only the matter of when, not IF

ST911
11-02-12, 17:18

Is that so? No exceptions? Are you sure?

<Danger, Will Robinson...>

JHC
11-02-12, 19:00

Could be. I've nearly gone broke finding the when. Gen 4 G17 10K, Gen 4 G17 4k, FDE Gen 4 G17 1400, Gen 4 G19 5K, Gen 4 G19 3K, FDE Gen 4 G19s (2) about 1K each, '10 RTF2 G17 5K, '10 RTF2 G19 1500, Gen 4 G26 1K, '10 Gen 3 G26 1K - all good. About 3 FTE mixed in all that.

FDE Gen 3 G17 ran well but did eject squirrely and got a new old ejector less it get worse.

Packman73
11-06-12, 19:17
I sold my XDm 3.8 today. Also picked up what I believe to be a gen 3 G19 (was told gen 2 on the phone...) with night sights. The finger grooves have to go though so I'll be working on that soon. I appreciate all the help folks.:cool:

PA PATRIOT
11-06-12, 21:37
Ton's of 2nd Gen Glocks out there in very good condition and the average price runs in the $350.00 range. I just picked up a used 2nd Gen Model-19 and all she needed was the customary total spring replacement for piece of mind which is only a few dollars.

2nd Gen 9mm Glocks are known for their legendary reliability.

milosz
11-06-12, 21:45
I've been striking out on locating a 2nd Gen G17 (local, I don't really want to get one off Gunbroker without seeing it myself), but I found a police trade-in G22 for $299 last weekend. Debating continuing the hunt for a G17 or getting a 9mm conversion barrel.

PA PATRIOT
11-07-12, 09:04
I've been striking out on locating a 2nd Gen G17 (local, I don't really want to get one off Gunbroker without seeing it myself), but I found a police trade-in G22 for $299 last weekend. Debating continuing the hunt for a G17 or getting a 9mm conversion barrel.

Most conversion barrels have issues and are not as reliable so unless its a range only blaster I would hold out for a Model-17 or 19.

They are out there and a local shop in my neck of the woods has a bunch of them and they will ship to another FFL.

http://surpluscityguns.com/

Packman73
11-10-12, 13:35
So...I sold the 2.5 gen? G19 I bought, the very next day.

I have 2 Gen 2 G19s lined up to look at.
One has a YX serial # 1992? comes with 3 mags and at a good price.
The other is a low rd count excellent condition 1994 model with one mag for $50 more.

Which one? Both are great?

DocH
11-10-12, 14:13
One of my G19's has a YX ser.number. It's been dead nuts reliable for years. Glock in Smyrna did the free internal upgrades a few years ago.

Packman73
11-10-12, 14:19
One of my G19's has a YX ser.number. It's been dead nuts reliable for years. Glock in Smyrna did the free internal upgrades a few years ago.
Thanks for the feedback. What are these upgrades you speak of? Especially about the free part.;)

DocH
11-10-12, 17:32
Thanks for the feedback. What are these upgrades you speak of? Especially about the free part.;)

In that serial number series,Glock will replace all the internal parts in the slide and frame at no cost.You'll walk out with basically a brand new gun. Mine didn't really "need" it but it qualified due to the date of manufacture so I figured why not take advantage. It was a very high round count pistol but never gave a problem before or since the upgrades. Original barrel and extractor was kept in the gun. That pistol will have the old 90 degree extractor cut,but I've never had an issue with it.
You'll have to send the pistol in,in your case, and Glock will ship it directly back to you.I'm just fortunate in that I am in reasonable driving distance. Probably three days without the pistol at most.

currahee
11-10-12, 17:46

The other is a low rd count excellent condition 1994 model with one mag for $50 more.

I would buy both. The Gen 2 with a stippled grip is my favorite, and they aren't makeing any more.

new Recoils springs if one seems to have a high round count, Vickers mag release, Trij night sights and nothing else would be my suggestions.

Packman73
11-10-12, 17:55
In that serial number series,Glock will replace all the internal parts in the slide and frame at no cost.You'll walk out with basically a brand new gun. Mine didn't really "need" it but it qualified due to the date of manufacture so I figured why not take advantage. It was a very high round count pistol but never gave a problem before or since the upgrades. Original barrel and extractor was kept in the gun. That pistol will have the old 90 degree extractor cut,but I've never had an issue with it.
You'll have to send the pistol in,in your case, and Glock will ship it directly back to you.I'm just fortunate in that I am in reasonable driving distance. Probably three days without the pistol at most.
Thank you very much, I'll look into that if (and probably) I get the YX.

I would buy both. The Gen 2 with a stippled grip is my favorite, and they aren't makeing any more.

new Recoils springs if one seems to have a high round count, Vickers mag release, Trij night sights and nothing else would be my suggestions.
Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do as far as upgrades go.
I wish I could get both but I don't think I can swing it.

mizer67
11-10-12, 18:21

My 17 didn't really shit the bed (after I installed the 30274 ejector) until north of 22,000 rounds.

Just installed an Apex extractor. I'm hoping it's the magic cure. Too early to tell, only have 300 rounds downrange with it so far.

Bullseye-777
11-10-12, 18:39

If you have to pay to ship the 1992 to Glock, buy the 1994 model.
Shipping a pistol is expensive and will likely cost you $50, maybe
more. There's a 6-part upgrade they will do on the '92:

- Extractor

- Firing Pin

- Trigger bar

- Spring loaded bearing

- Firing pin safety

- Firing pin safety spring

I would buy the '94 and avoid the hassle.

Packman73
11-10-12, 21:59
Well, the '94 guy backed out on me so the decision just made itself. Maybe I'll luck out and the upgrades will have already been done on the '92.;)

Bullseye-777
11-11-12, 00:23
Well, the '94 guy backed out on me so the decision just made itself. Maybe I'll luck out and the upgrades will have already been done on the '92.;)

If not, you can find the upgrade parts here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=115500

Packman73
11-15-12, 12:04
Well, both gen 2 owners backed out on me BUT I did find one out of state. It's a gen 2 (not sure what year) with the internals 'redone' by a Glock armorer (who I'm buying from). It's got TFO night sights and a coyote tan frame. I can't wait for it to get here...
Thanks for the input and links fellas.

OldGreg
11-15-12, 15:27
I just recently got a Gen2, and it had the old parts in it. So, i went and looked into doing the upgrade and learned a few things that might be helpful to some.

The Upgrade Kit consists of (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html):
Extractor (Non-LCI)
Spring-loaded bearing only
Firing pin safety and spring
Firing pin / striker
Trigger bar

If your Used Gen2 has black colored parkerized trigger parts & connector, call Glock, ask for the Warranty Dept. Give them your serial number and they verify if your Glock ever had the parts sent out previously, or not.

Glock will only send your armorer the upgrade parts, and yes they are free. Glock will then request that the armorer 'turn-in' the old parts.
That was the possible deal-breaker for me. I didn't want to give up my old parts! I bought a Gen2 19 because i wanted an older, reliable 19 and i wasn't excited about putting in some newer (possibly problematic) parts and being stuck with them.

So it took a while and a bunch of pulling teeth to get my armorer to hand over the 6 Part Upgrade Kit, while getting to keep the old parts. Some other local armorers wanted to charge me $45 to install the parts... and that was a no-go for me. I can change these parts blindfolded.

Basically i wanted to do a hybrid update, mix & match some stuff.. I kept the extraction parts old-stock and replaced the striker, firing pin safety, and trigger bar.

I also changed all of the springs in it... recoil, frame, bearing, and trigger springs, all of which were purchased separately. Since they sent me a (no dip) Non-LCI extractor, i figured i give it a shot... but i'll be sticking the old extractor back in it if i have any issues. So far so good.. i need to go shoot it some more though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/Gear/blurredserial.jpg

~G

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-12, 15:35
Great looking gun, man. :)

OldGreg
11-15-12, 18:58
Thanks.

Packman73
11-15-12, 19:05
Ya, that really does look good. I think mine gets shipped out tomorrow.

Alex F
11-15-12, 20:59
However, if you wish to avoid this entirely, look for an early made 3rd gen gun or any 2nd gen gun. Those are the guns that literally built Glock's reputation and run well. My ratty looking 1992 made G17 is still humming along and has never given me a lick of trouble.

My Gen2 G19 is literally the most reliable firearm I've ever owned. I don't want or need a rail so I never 'upgraded'.

Bullseye-777
11-17-12, 13:29
I just recently got a Gen2..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/Gear/blurredserial.jpg

~G

Hang onto that one. It has Austrian proof marks. Good score!

Packman73
11-20-12, 09:30
Well mine got sent out yesterday. I still don't know what year it is or the serial # but I did find out that
"it's just like it came from the factory, but with a new Glock factory
trigger spring and a Glock factory 4.5 disconnector. new TFO night
sights and tactical slide release."
So I may need to do the upgrades. My wife's brother is a Glock armorer so I have that part taken care of...

Packman73
11-28-12, 10:44
Just a final update; I bought two of them, one from out of state and one locally. Was going to keep the one I liked the most. I couldn't part with either so I convinced my wife to sell her XDm 3.8 9mm. I'll give her the dark earth one I think.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/rAWmviBWFE.jpg (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/290512/cat/500)
From the ad "Low round count generation II Glock 19. Frame was professionally cerakoted. It has a new Glock factory trigger spring and a new Glock factory 4.5 disconnector. New TFO night sights and tactical slide release. Comes with box and 3 mags."

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/G19_4_mags.jpg (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/290873/cat/500)
From the ad "Great gun in excellent condition. Comes with 4 new 15 rnd mags, case, extended slide lever, extended mag catch, butt plug, 4lb trigger, tungsten guide rod, new Trijicon Novak low profile night sights."

ARonBoard
11-28-12, 10:54
Both look great. Congrats. If you decide to part with either let me know. I'm local. :P

Packman73
11-28-12, 13:18
Both look great. Congrats. If you decide to part with either let me know. I'm local. :P
Haha, as hard as it was to aquire these two, I think I'll hold on to them for a while.;)

Packman73
11-28-12, 14:47

Killer deal...
http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/300-gen-2-glock-19/20244915

PA PATRIOT
11-28-12, 16:02
Glocks best and greatest pistol ever built is the 2nd Generation Model-19 followed a hairs width a way by the 2nd Generation Model-17. These pistols made Glocks name in the industry and most are still running strong 20+ years later.

If you can find the 2nd Generations in good shape with reasonable pricing I would not hesitate to buy it as they are only getting harder to find on the used market and demand is growing.

polymorpheous
11-28-12, 16:21
Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19GEN2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2&groupid=670

shootis
11-28-12, 17:20
Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19GEN2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2&groupid=670

Sold out,,, it took almost a week for them to go this time. Last time it was only a day or so.

Mine should be here any day now,, I had to get a second one.

Two is one, one is none.

polymorpheous
11-28-12, 17:27
Sold out,,, it took almost a week for them to go this time. Last time it was only a day or so.

Mine should be here any day now,, I had to get a second one.

Two is one, one is none.

They must have sold the last one right after I posted the link.
Someone here on M4C scored!

It wasn't me.;)

Packman73
12-02-12, 20:47
So I contacted Glock USA via email, with the serial #'s of the two pistols, to inquire about any internal upgrades they may need.
I contacted 'warranty' but have not heard back from them. I hope that was the right department because I didn't know what 'GSSF' and 'RSA' are...

OldGreg
12-04-12, 12:17
Call em. They actually answer the phone.

But do you need to? Are your trigger parts black colored? Do they look like these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/Gear/IMG_0771.jpg

Packman73
12-04-12, 12:39
Call em. They actually answer the phone.

But do you need to? Are your trigger parts black colored? Do they look like these?

Thanks for responding (and for the pic!). I was about to post an update. First, no, they don't look like that. A lot of shiny parts. I sent a pic to my brother-in-law (Ron, a green Glock Armorer). From what I understand from his text, Ron was able to order the parts from Glock this morning. I'll call him later to confirm.

Packman73
12-04-12, 14:51
So the parts should arrive in 2-3weeks.

Question; Are there any cheap aftermarket trigger parts I should order to have my brother-in-law install for a better pull, etc.? Or any parts not to replace?

1st pistol has "Trigger bar has [been replaced]. It is smooth face.Connector and trigger housing spring have been.Hence 4 lb pull. The rest is original. The internals are spotless."

2nd pistol, "it's just like it came from the factory, but with a new Glock factory trigger spring and a Glock factory 4.5 disconnector."

Thanks, for any advice.:cool:

-Glock noob

OldGreg
12-04-12, 15:14
If your parts are shiny, and they don't resemble the parts in my (bad) photo, then you do not have to do the 6-Part Upgrade.

This page has some interesting 6PU info: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

And if you want a cheap "better pull", then read these articles:

Home Gunsmithing: Glock Trigger Job (by C4IGrant): https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103781
(Grant polishes the old Gen 2 black parts)

Make your stock Glock rock (M4Guru): http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/

Or do the Glockworx triggers... but they are not cheap.

Packman73
12-04-12, 17:02
Thank you for the links! The odd thing was, when I contacted Glock, the guy in warranty said if the parts were black, then I did not need the upgrade...Maybe I heard him wrong but I swear that's what he said. So, you believe I do not need them?

If your parts are shiny, and they don't resemble the parts in my (bad) photo, then you do not have to do the 6-Part Upgrade.

This page has some interesting 6PU info: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

And if you want a cheap "better pull", then read these articles:

Home Gunsmithing: Glock Trigger Job (by C4IGrant): https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103781
(Grant polishes the old Gen 2 black parts)

Make your stock Glock rock (M4Guru): http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/

Or do the Glockworx triggers... but they are not cheap.

OldGreg
12-04-12, 23:01
Correct, with the info you've given, I'd say that you do not need them. But if you are already having them shipped to your brother-in-law, then I'd keep the kit as tinker-around on parts.

Packman73
12-04-12, 23:19
Correct, with the info you've given, I'd say that you do not need them. But if you are already having them shipped to your brother-in-law, then I'd keep the kit as tinker-around on parts.
Will do, thanks. :cool: