PDA

View Full Version : ACT Installation Issue

hals1
10-31-12, 09:40
I just built up a PSA lower with a PSA LPK with ACT trigger. When I tried to install the safety selector it wouldn't clear the rear of the trigger. I had to remove the hammer to get the rear of the trigger to depress enough to install the selector. It then went together fine and the selector doesn't rub on the trigger when I going to safe like on my other ACT lower.
I got this LPK/ACT last week so it is probably new production.
Anyone else have this issue? Could it lead to a problem?

papasan
10-31-12, 09:43
you had the hammer down (cocked) when you attempted install?

hals1
10-31-12, 09:57
you had the hammer down (cocked) when you attempted install?

Tried it both ways, cocked and uncocked.

markm
10-31-12, 13:19
I had this happen to me too. Pulled the grip off so the selector could be moved.

The ACT trigger sucks.

Iraqgunz
10-31-12, 14:14
I believe the lower is the issue. I have 3 I bought for use in the classes and I can't remove the trigger without removing the selector first.

markm
10-31-12, 14:41
There's something jookie with the ACT. I mean... it makes my selector stiff when the bolt is locked back. Not a huge issue.. but just another clue that the shit ain't right.

My lower was fine with the GI trigger system. We originally put this piece of shit trigger in Pappabears lower, but I can't remember if it gave me trouble then.

After dry firing it, Pappabear immediately ordered an SSA for that gun. :p

bruin
10-31-12, 15:29
I had the same problem with an ACT and L.W. Schneider selector in a Mega lower. In my case I was replacing the selector with a Noveske STS and it wouldn't drop out (it felt very close, but didn't quite clear the trigger bar). I ended up lubing it then tapping it out lightly with a wooden dowel; likewise the STS I had to tap in.

Maybe the coating on the ACT trigger is just a hair too thick...

nova3930
10-31-12, 15:37
I just recently built a lower with an ACT and mine was a bit tight as well. Little grease and a good squeeze and it went in though. Doesn't seem to be causing any issues moving the selector...

SW-Shooter
10-31-12, 18:24
3 installed triggers, zero problems after shooting them. Initially I had the same problem but after a hundred or so rounds the problem mysteriously disappeared. For the money I can't think of a better trigger!

markm
11-01-12, 08:12
For the money I can't think of a better trigger!

Mine is worse than almost every one of my GI triggers. It has so much creep it's almost a 2 stage.

Iraqgunz
11-01-12, 16:12
I'd almost be willing to bet that if you contacted ALG and talked to them they would send a new trigger out. Or at least offer to refund it. It is entirely possible that you got a bad one.

Until Jesus get's into the gun business nothing will be perfect.

Mine is worse than almost every one of my GI triggers. It has so much creep it's almost a 2 stage.

markm
11-01-12, 21:54
I'd almost be willing to bet that if you contacted ALG and talked to them they would send a new trigger out. Or at least offer to refund it. It is entirely possible that you got a bad one.

Until Jesus get's into the gun business nothing will be perfect.

Oh I know ALG would make good. Just not worth the hastle. I bought it from Brownells... They'd take it back no questions.

The bottom line is that too many guys have had issues with the product. Specifically the coated version... ACT.

CoryCop25
11-01-12, 22:17
I believe the lower is the issue. I have 3 I bought for use in the classes and I can't remove the trigger without removing the selector first.

This.....

I have been comparing lowers lately and it seems that some manufacturers cut a longer trigger hole than others.

JohnnyNumbers
11-02-12, 00:24
I put an ACT trigger in a POF lower yesterday, and I didn't have any problems at all.

I agree with the creep...but it doesn't feel any different to me than a stock GI trigger except it seems to be smoothed out. I compared it to my stock 6920 and it felt very similar as far as the creep, but the Colt was a bit gritty whereas the ACT was a smooth transition till it broke.

All in all...I like it enough to feel satisfied with my purchase.

vicious_cb
11-06-12, 03:09
Just installed an ACT on a friends gun. The trigger installed just fine but during the function check I found that the selector would not go on safe when the bolt was locked back, something that Ive never seen before. The only way it would go on safe with the bolt locked back is if I flipped it on safe with the bolt locked forward and then locked the bolt back but even then flipping it back on fire with the bolt locked back is very difficult. The safety is a BAD ASS lever and the lower is an Aero Precision. Do you think this is a lower issue or should I try and get a replacement trigger?

markm
11-06-12, 06:48
Same old same old. They seem to have screwed the pooch on the ACT. I don't hear any of these problems with the QMS version.

AdamNCNN
11-06-12, 11:55
I have an LMT lower that I have to take the trigger out of to install the BAD safety.

I think it's just tolerance stacking.

Doc. Holiday
11-06-12, 14:53
I put an ACT trigger in a POF lower yesterday, and I didn't have any problems at all.

I agree with the creep...but it doesn't feel any different to me than a stock GI trigger except it seems to be smoothed out. I compared it to my stock 6920 and it felt very similar as far as the creep, but the Colt was a bit gritty whereas the ACT was a smooth transition till it broke.

All in all...I like it enough to feel satisfied with my purchase.

That's because POF's are awesome! I've been thinking about replacing my trigger in my POF for awhile. Just to try something different. I'm still trying to decide what route to go.

Frntsyt
11-06-12, 19:51
I installed a QMS with a BAD selector in my S&W Magpul Moe lower and have the same issue. When the bolt is locked back, the safety won't engage. A second QMS will engage if forced....

skittles
11-06-12, 20:09
I have a QMS trigger and have the same issue. Mine will go on safe with the bolt locked back but it is definitely rubbing. I took out the ALG pins and put in the previous pins I was using and that took care of the problem. I have since went back to the ALG pins. I have a BAD-ASS on it's way to me. Hoping I can still at least engage the safety.

I will get in touch with ALG soon and see if I can get some of the new pins they are sending out.

markm
11-07-12, 07:48
QMS is the Obama of triggers...

Cute idea, but it's just not right and we can't get rid of it!

Doc. Holiday
11-07-12, 08:41
Please don't talk about Obama right now...it's still a little tender...:suicide:

sagmill
11-07-12, 10:21
The issue with the safety clearance is related to the oversize pins first used in the ACT. The pins are too big and by using them the clearance between the safety and tail of the trigger is eaten up. This is compounded by the coating thickness of the Nickel Boron. ALG has new, standard pins that are shipping with all new triggers. They are the same chrome moly, centerless ground, nickel teflon coated pins, just stock size. Using these standard size pins should resolve any safety clearance problems.

Just send an email to the ALG sales email with your shipping address and a set of the new pins will be sent to you at no charge.

Just to elaborate on some of the posts about the trigger feel: The QMS and ACT are smoothed out, mil spec triggers. The engagement surfaces have been polished and inspected, not modified. So the "creep" and 'weight" of a mil spec trigger is still there, by design. The pull on the ALG triggers is better because the grittyness of a stock trigger has been removed and if the sears are well lubricated the trigger will have a snappy, very decent pull because the two polished sears move quickly by each other, even though the sear overlap is not changed from a stock trigger.

JohnnyNumbers
11-07-12, 10:33
The issue with the safety clearance is related to the oversize pins first used in the ACT. The pins are too big and by using them the clearance between the safety and tail of the trigger is eaten up. This is compounded by the coating thickness of the Nickel Boron. ALG has new, standard pins that are shipping with all new triggers. They are the same chrome moly, centerless ground, nickel teflon coated pins, just stock size. Using these standard size pins should resolve any safety clearance problems.

Just send an email to the ALG sales email with your shipping address and a set of the new pins will be sent to you at no charge.

Just to elaborate on some of the posts about the trigger feel: The QMS and ACT are smoothed out, mil spec triggers. The engagement surfaces have been polished and inspected, not modified. So the "creep" and 'weight" of a mil spec trigger is still there, by design. The pull on the ALG triggers is better because the grittyness of a stock trigger has been removed and if the sears are well lubricated the trigger will have a snappy, very decent pull because the two polished sears move quickly by each other, even though the sear overlap is not changed from a stock trigger.

This coincides with what I meant in my previous post...just more eloquently put :D.

I guess I got one of the newer ones. My ACT trigger assembly went in with absolutely no problem at all. The safety works perfectly regardless of whether the BCG is locked back or not...and as mentioned...it feels like a smoothed out mil-spec trigger. Same creep, same break...just a lot smoother.

I like it!

sagmill
11-07-12, 10:42
BTW- The safety clearance sometime shows up on QMS triggers, just not as much as the ACT. We have the stock sized quality pins available for the QMS too. Just send an email with shipping address to have a set sent out.

jet66
11-07-12, 11:45
BTW- The safety clearance sometime shows up on QMS triggers, just not as much as the ACT. We have the stock sized quality pins available for the QMS too. Just send an email with shipping address to have a set sent out.

Thanks for putting this up, I've got one of each coming this week.

I'll post back after my installs on how it went.

Frntsyt
11-07-12, 17:45
Thanks for the info! Email will be on its way...

jet66
11-09-12, 18:04
Installed both the ACT and QMS in two different carbines, both SAA lowers w/PSA LPKs. Both went in fine with the safeties in place, no binding on the selector with the BCG locked back nor in battery. The pins went is as easily as any other pins, with a slightly more snug J-spring fit. I did use a light tap to get one in past the J-spring, but the other 3 pins were easily pushed in via my thumb.

Both definitely feel far more crisp on the break and with no 'grittiness' in the pull, with the ACT feeling much more slick/smooth on the pull. They do still have that overall GI trigger feel/pull/weight, but they are definitely improvements, IMO, over a typical basic GI trigger.