PDA

View Full Version : CMP m1 garand in 308

maddawg5777
10-31-12, 11:54
Looking at putting in an order for a cmp special garand. I have the option for 308 and 30-06. Im thinking the 308 may be a better alternative in the future when surplus 30 dries up. Anyone own one of these? I want to know if they are as reliable and durable as the 30-06 version and if they are sensitive to any ammo types. Thanks in advance for any help.

Deputy Dan
10-31-12, 12:34
Surplus 7.62 NATO isn't any more plentiful than .30-06 surplus.

Unless you are going to use an adjustable gas cylinder lock screw, you should probably stick to ammunition loaded to M59/M80/M118 pressure levels... heavy use of commercial hunting ammunition will result in increased wear.

With a free floating firing pin, you also have the possibility of having a slam fire with commercial ammunition. You may never have a problem, but it only takes one round firing out of battery to make it a really bad day for you and the rifle.

If the rifle does not already have one installed, a 7.62 NATO spacer block for the clip well is a good idea... it prevents someone from loading a clip of .30-06 into the rifle.

Barry in IN
10-31-12, 14:27
I have a couple of .308 Garands. One is a match rifle, and the other is a regular old do-all rifle that I've used in classes, 3-gun, as a car gun, etc.
I like it a a car gun because it should do anything I need done, I don't need to worry too much about any state laws that forbid it, with the action separated from the stock it fits in my rolling suitcase, clips store easy, etc, etc.

They basically work the same as a .30-06 one. About the only difference is the brass comes out in a slightly different direction (more like 1:00 than around 2:00-3:00).

No change is needed. Just the barrel. Some commercial .308 barrels need to gas port opened slightly. The Navy experimented with .308 Garands quite a bit (match and otherwise) and they ended up settling on a larger port diameter. That dimension escapes me right now, but I'll edit it in later. I don't know what port size the CMP is using, but if it's standard -06 size, I'd try it that way first before taking a drill to it. My match one works fine with the -06 port, but my GI-style one did not. I opened it up a little- not quite as much as Navy specs.

Some people clip a coil or two from the ejector because the cases fly a little farther. I don't. Let 'em fly.

The spacer block is unnecessary. Or should be. It's not needed for function, and some say they actually cause harm. I don't know, but by looking at it, I can see it could cause done interference or binding with the follower system. I have seem the plastic ones broken from use, so something is bearing hard against it. There are steel ones out there too, and I wouldn't touch one of those. If using any, I'd use the plastic so it would break instead of something important.

I guess the spacer keeps one from shoving a clip of 06 in, but unless you have an 06 Garand, there should be little chance of that. If clip confusion is an issue- One of the regulars on Culver's Garand forum that took rear sight covers and laser engraved them "7.62 MM". It may not help much when loading eyes-off, but if grabbing one from a rack of 06s, it might help. I think it looks kinda cool, which is sometimes the important thing. I don't think that guy makes then anymore, but I'd think you could get your own sight cover engraved. I did the fancy mod of using a silver Sharpie to write ".308" on one of mine.

maddawg5777
10-31-12, 15:05
Thanks for the info guys. The cmp installs the spacer block from the get go. I had already read up on them being a no go. I figured the heavier loads in 308 would be an issue as well. I may just roll with the 06 and start reloading if getting appropriate ammo in 308 is an issue. I have seen a few adjustable gas plugs online, which would you recommend? Id rather not have to use one but if I cant find surplus or the specialty loaded factory stuff I might as well have one lying around.

Barry I get where your coming from with it being an all around rifle. That is my plan as well. I travel to see family often and wont have to worry about communist laws in some states. Also I never thought about breaking it down to fit in a travel bag, good idea.

shootist1970
11-02-12, 18:10
I've had my Arlington Ordnance .308 Garand since the mid 1990's, i like it, built right it'll never have a hiccup.

agr1279
11-02-12, 19:46
Get both. You can't go wrong with either. I have sevral in 30-06 and two in 7.62. They are just great. I enjoy shooting them a little more than the black rifle but I don't shoot them that much.

Dan

M4Fundi
11-03-12, 01:09
When I enquired about this over on the Camp Perry forums last year (IIRC and I may not), but I thought they were saying there is much more 30-06 surplus out there than 308... you might go over there and check with those guys

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12

maddawg5777
11-03-12, 09:24
Thanks for the link Ill check that out. As far as getting both, I wish but not with 3 little ones to feed. Again thanks for all the input.

agr1279
11-03-12, 16:05
Thanks for the link Ill check that out. As far as getting both, I wish but not with 3 little ones to feed. Again thanks for all the input.

I feel your pain there. I've got two little ones and they aren't cheap either but think of it as an investment. They aren't making any more and safer than the stock market.

Then get the 30-06. Greek surpluss is decent right now from CMP. I believe that it is $98.00 plux shipping for 200 rounds. You really can't beat that.

Dan

maddawg5777
11-04-12, 10:49
agr1279, ya I have decided to stick with the 30-06. Ive found a couple websites with alot of surplus for decent prices. While it would be an awesome investment I have other needs and a wife that will possibly castrate me if I buy any more rifles this month. I just ordered an AMD-65 for a junker rifle to beat the hell out of so after the M1 I think Im on probation.

Wake27
05-10-14, 17:14
Resurrecting this. I'm looking to get a Garand in the next few months, while I still can since I've always wanted one. I would assume that .30-06 will dry up before .308 will since the latter is still used in some battle rifles. Would you guys agree? If I ever got a DMR or similar it would probably be an M14ish or M110ish so having the same round would be nice there.

alvincullumyork
05-10-14, 20:04
Resurrecting this. I'm looking to get a Garand in the next few months, while I still can since I've always wanted one. I would assume that .30-06 will dry up before .308 will since the latter is still used in some battle rifles. Would you guys agree? If I ever got a DMR or similar it would probably be an M14ish or M110ish so having the same round would be nice there.

I doubt 30-06 will ever dry up. It's probably taken more big game on this continent than all other calibers combined and probably will continue to do so for quite some time. There are also quite a few Garand owners now so the demand for the old aught six will remain strong. It has also been one of the more consistently available calibers during recent draughts.

The availability of aught six is actually one of the reasons I'm going to get one later this year.

Edit: unless you're talking about surplus then I have no clue.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

thei3ug
05-10-14, 20:23
The only reason I have a garand in .308 is because I'm already well stocked in the cartridge. My only regret is I feel slightly guilty at not having a true example, but it's easier for me this way. As for 30-06 drying up, it wasn't a concern for me, but I wouldn't make the decision on it. Absolute worst case, you sent it in to CMP to have them rebarrel it in .308 for some far off future where space aliens trade us immortality for all our 30-06 cartridges and rifles, or some sort. I've been reading a lot of science fiction lately so that's the best I can come up with right now.

Wake27
05-10-14, 21:19
I doubt 30-06 will ever dry up. It's probably taken more big game on this continent than all other calibers combined and probably will continue to do so for quite some time. There are also quite a few Garand owners now so the demand for the old aught six will remain strong. It has also been one of the more consistently available calibers during recent draughts.

The availability of aught six is actually one of the reasons I'm going to get one later this year.

Edit: unless you're talking about surplus then I have no clue.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

Yeah I realize its popularity for hunting, but I'd strictly be interested in ball/surplus.

decodeddiesel
05-10-14, 22:45
I was just eyeing one of these down...hard.

I have read that unlike the 30-06 Garands, you can run just about any .308 or 7.62 NATO you can find on the shelves through it without any trouble. That would be my draw to a .308 over a 30-06.

NWPilgrim
05-10-14, 23:37
The surplus .30-06 is definitely on the way out. It just isn't made any more and we are exhausting the last foreign stockpiles. I have 3 Garands and plenty if Lake City and HXP ammo and brass. But if I were in your shoes getting my first one it would be a serious consideration to go .308. You can still buy cheaper ammo like the battle packs of Priv Partisan and I believe some steel cased brands.

HKGuns
05-11-14, 08:45
The Garand, in my view, is 30-06. .308 Garands are not "truly" Garands. It isn't like you will never be able to buy 30-06 ammo in the future and companies, Hornady for one, are now selling Garand safe cartridges.

When it comes to historic rifles, such as the Garand you should buy it in the caliber it was fought with.....However, I am a purist when it comes to Historic Milsurps such as the Garand, so take that with a grain of salt.

decodeddiesel
05-11-14, 12:13
The Garand, in my view, is 30-06. .308 Garands are not "truly" Garands. It isn't like you will never be able to buy 30-06 ammo in the future and companies, Hornady for one, are now selling Garand safe cartridges.

When it comes to historic rifles, such as the Garand you should buy it in the caliber it was fought with.....However, I am a purist when it comes to Historic Milsurps such as the Garand, so take that with a grain of salt.

For a pure collectors piece, agreed 100%. However, for a shooter honestly I think .308 is the way to go now.

meausoc
05-11-14, 20:13
If you are going to be in the Anniston, Alabama or Port Clinton, Ohio area just go by the CMP store and you can handpick your Garand. I just went to Anniston and picked up a nice H&R M1 Garand for $525 and $24.97 to ship it to my house. It is easily an $800 rifle at the local fun show. 200 rounds of Greek .30/06 or was $118 and 200 rounds of U.S. AP .30/06 was $125. I bought a can of each, you cannot go wrong with either rifle.

Wake27
05-11-14, 22:14
If I'm ever down that way I'll have to swing by. Turns out I have a .30-06 now though. I'd asked my dad to see if our neighbor (who is huge into surplus and antique firearms) if he knew of any locally - when I came home last night there was one on my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurplusShooter
05-12-14, 13:01
You don't have to go to the store in-person, you can send in your paperwork buy one thru mail-order (assuming your State allows it).
I used to go to the store about 3 times per year. Lately I just stopped going: there were no service-grades on the racks so I couldn't pick one. and if you are going to buy a Service Grade _Special_ , all the SGS's are in perfect condition anyways so no point in hand-selecting IMO, I'd rather let FedEx do the driving for me.

A .308 Garand would be nice if I had other .308's for ammo commonality. As it is, I just run all 30-06's.
The 30-06 "ammo compatibility" issue is much overblown. Just get yourself an Adjustable Gas Plug then you can run whatever 30-06 ammo you want. It amazes me that people get wrapped-up on the "Commercial ammo will damage your OP-rod" idea, when a $30 part fixed the issue for you.

For a Match rifle, the general consensus is a .308 Garand is more accurate than a 30-06 due to various factors (eg un-used case capacity, etc, even if they do fire the same projectile ). However check your match rules to see if a .308 Garand would be allowed, or would go into a different division, from the 30-06 Garands.

decodeddiesel
05-12-14, 22:51
The 30-06 "ammo compatibility" issue is much overblown. Just get yourself an Adjustable Gas Plug then you can run whatever 30-06 ammo you want. It amazes me that people get wrapped-up on the "Commercial ammo will damage your OP-rod" idea, when a $30 part fixed the issue for you.

I'll admit ignorance to this. I'm not a Garand guy, just known a number of people who had them, and shot some back in high school in matches. Back then it was the hot button issue. Foolish of me to continue to accept this old wisdom as knowledge. Appreciate the info.

meausoc
05-13-14, 07:50
Service Grade is probably the way to go. I bought a Field Grade and it was $100 cheaper, plus you cannot get the Field Grades by mail order now. They are sold out. I guess that I will order a service grade, it looks like affordable Garands will be drying up.

SurplusShooter
05-14-14, 09:25
Well, M1 Garands are always "drying up" been saying that for years now, one day it will happen sooner or later. (E.g M1 Carbines dried-up).
For a service grade, just understand I have bought several thru mail-order and really you could get something from "weathered" and "well used" to "what happened here"? Not as bad as Field grade but just be aware it's the luck of the draw.
If you want something that "looks perfect" , check out the "Service Grade Specials". Metal parts are excellent and the stocks are new CMP marked stocks. Infact I think those are more appealing to get now, while they are available since they are in such good condition. Beat-up service grades will be around longer as we go down the bottom of the barrel, but the higher-quality ones IMO seem to disappear sooner.

Picture time:
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/ResponsibleCitizen64/Funny/M1_Garand_SlowMo_Animated_GIF2_zpsb55900ab.gif

I have a full set of 4 all makes (Springfield, H&R, Winchester, International Harvester) but here is something you don't see often:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/ResponsibleCitizen64/M1%20Garand%20Beretta/Photo-217_zpsd772a1c8.jpg(Danish Beretta M1 Garand)

Slvr Surfr
05-19-14, 03:02
I love my M1 Garand. I wish I had bought mine from the CMP. At least I know it would have run from the get go. I'm not upset that I got to get more intimate with my M1 to get it to run right. It's the only weapon that I had to purchase a micrometer to measure all the parts....

After it was all said and done, I only needed to replace the gas cylinder to get her running like a sewing machine.

Once you hear the Ping you'll never regret it. I have fired surplus and commercial "Garand" specific ammo with zero issues.

ralph
05-19-14, 10:46
Anybody wanting a Garand, should go over to the CMP's website, and click on the" forums" tag...From what I've read, the racks at north store at least, are pretty empty, unless you want a M1-d or M1-c, not much of anything else.. they do have ammo. It seems that the CMP is way behind on mail orders, and as a result, they are sending little to the stores. I did read over there that Orest (CMP's CEO) said no service, field grades, in the stores until after the matches in August.. While Orest stated in another post that they (CMP) had plenty of crates left of Garands to open up, what they've been finding is a lot of pretty worn rifles, a lot of which are used for building the "CMP Specials" basically a reparked, rebuilt, restocked rifle, with a commercial barrel, and a Boyd stock.. I did read today, that they will have some I-H Garands as well as some more HRA's sometime in the near future...Something to keep your eyes peeled for. Anyway I do believe they are getting down to the bottom of the barrel.. It wasn't that long ago that the North store was open 5days a week, now they are open 3... The CMP's still the best game in town for a Garand, and when the SG's, and FG's, become available again, those wanting one better move quick.

jwdeeming
05-19-14, 22:34
I'd like to have one of each... ;)

meausoc
08-07-14, 12:22
M1 GARAND PRICE INCREASES - Effective 7 August, 2014 the price of the Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson Service Grade M1 is increased to $695. The price of the Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson Field Grade M1 is increased to $595. Orders currently on hand or received prior to 7 August will be charged the prices in effect prior to this increase. Visit

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm for more information.

rojocorsa
10-09-14, 15:13
BTW,

Where do I find a gas cylinder for mine? Mine is on its way out, I got a really old one on mine.

sinister
10-09-14, 17:47
I have two H&R Korean War era rifles, one in 30-06 and one in 7.62.

I got the 7.62 gun this summer at Perry, and it is one of the CMP Specials, re-built with a new Krieger criterion and new CMP wood. They are drop-dead gorgeous and a good deal at $995.

There was tons of US 30-06 in sealed cans for sale.

Either -06 or 7.62 are good deals, the 7.62 if you load your own (you'll have access to brass for a few lifetimes yet).

The CMP has around 98,000 M1 rifles left -- once they're gone, they're gone. I can remember USGI M1911A1s for sale at gun shows back in the 80s for around $300. A genuine GI gun today will average between $900 and 1200 for an average weapon.

T2C
10-09-14, 18:05
BTW,

Where do I find a gas cylinder for mine? Mine is on its way out, I got a really old one on mine.

It won't be cheap. I have had good luck purchasing parts from Fulton Armory and Numrich. Sarco was a little slow to ship when I ordered M1 Carbine parts, but they are an option as well.

There are other vendors who sell surplus and new manufacture M1 Garand parts. Search the company name & complaints to check them out before ordering.

rojocorsa
10-15-14, 00:26
Thank you.

Finding these kinds of parts is not easy for the M-1, but that's why Im getting an FAL---to replace it. (Im not getting rid of said M-1, however).

Serlo II
10-15-14, 18:06
I've got a CMP special. Excellent rifle - accurate and reliable. Lots of fun to shoot at CMP matches.
For me the local CMP matches are an excellent skills test and the discipline helps me with my other rifles.
Maybe one day, I'll make my way up to the Camp Perry Match. That seems like a blast.