PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G34 3900 rounds in 11 days review

eesmith4
10-31-12, 20:33
So I decided to buy a gen 4 G34 for USPSA production class, I picked up a blue label TWC prefix G34 10/19/12, the fired cases included were dated 9/26/12.

The gun came with a 30274 ejector and a no-dip extractor.

I installed a glock 4.5 lb connector, wolff extra power trigger spring, reduced power safety plunger spring, reduced power striker spring, extended mag release, and 13# ismi tungsten guide rod. I also installed warren/sevigny competition sights

(note: most of the ammo used was 9mm 115gr WWB, with some american eagle and blazer brass in the mix)

I fired 1k rounds that weekend, I initially had problems with light strikes, which were traced to the reduced power striker spring. I replaced it with the stock spring, and the problem went away. This also firmed up the trigger reset somewhat, while still providing a nice, relative light and crisp trigger pull.

I also had problems prematurely locking open the slide, due to my aggressive grip hitting the extended slide stop. I replaced this with the standard low profile slide stop and the problem went away.

I tried both a tungsten and SS guide rod with the 13# spring, I decided I liked the stock 2 stage spring recoil assembly better and went back to that.

I had a level 3 one day handgun class the monday after, I fired 1100 rounds without a problem. At this point I was at 2100 rounds into the gun in 4 days, with no problems other than ones due to poor spring selection or my grip not meshing with the extended slide stop.

Ejection was at a steady 3:30 to 4:00 pattern.

I went to a HSP handgun class on the following friday-sunday, and fired 1800 rounds. I only had 2 rounds that didn't eject at a consistent 3:30-4:00 pattern, at ~ 2500 rounds while doing malfunction drills I had one eject over my left elbow at ~ 8:00. However they set my gun up with a failure to extract and some empty bass in the mag, so in the rush to get the gun going I probably dorked the round in some way.

Later on during right hand only shooting I had one go over my head in line with my right ear, however I had the gun at ~15 degree angle so if it had been at a normal angle it would have ejected at a more reasonable direction.

I only cleaned it once, right after the 1k round weekend string, and once I settled on spring selection and finished setting it up like I wanted it ran flawlessly.

At the end I fired 100 rounds and focused on the ejection pattern, it was still at the 3:30-4:00 pattern that it had at the beginning.

So after 3900 rounds in 11 days, I think I have a keeper.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance later.

ST911
10-31-12, 22:20
Thanks for posting. Great validation of the prudence in leaving these guns stock.

A G34 running with 115gr AE, WWB, and Blazer is likely to be reliable with most anything. I'd throw in some commercial frangible and perhaps some UMC for good measure just to double check.

I like the G34 very much.

FAB45
10-31-12, 22:58
Great post, been debating purchasing a 34 soon or not for USPSA. Thanks.

dwenslen
11-01-12, 06:00
Good to hear. I've been out of the loop and didn't know they are shipping with "no-dip" extractors.

mohunter55
11-07-12, 13:11
great post, im going to order a gen4 g34 today. Hope to have as good of luck as you

Breacher 217
11-07-12, 15:05
How is you Poa/poi on your 34? I got one last month and had heine straight 8's installed. My poi is about 4-5" high. Heine is claiming its a Glock problem and offered to sell me a taller front sight. The heine front sight that I have is pretty damn tall already.

Joe R.
11-07-12, 15:33
Breacher this is actually pretty common. While most Glocks will print about 2" high at 25 yards with the standard Heinie front sight of .215" there are those that hit between 4-5" high and will need the .235 or even .250 front.

Breacher 217
11-07-12, 15:35
Thanks Joe. I need to take it out again and get a measurement. Looks like ill be ordering a taller front sight.

Rayrevolver
11-07-12, 15:52
I traded for a used Gen3 G34 with Trijicon HDs. It shoots about 1" high at 15 yards. Trijicon does not make a taller front sight. Same results with AE9 115 or 147.

Needless to say that I have been working on my 6 o'clock hold. Its a new technique for me so it keeps me adapting, whatever. So far I'm still making my 25 yard shots in gun games.

Hopefully someone shows up with a Gen4 34 so I can see how it shoots with the new double spring.

eesmith4
11-08-12, 03:37
Longslide guns like the G34/35 need a .245 front site for a proper poi/poa at 20 yards, at least that's what they said for my site set.

PA PATRIOT
11-08-12, 09:06
My older G-34 needed a .250 Front sight to hit POA at 20yds.

JHC
11-09-12, 18:52
Breacher this is actually pretty common. While most Glocks will print about 2" high at 25 yards with the standard Heinie front sight of .215" there are those that hit between 4-5" high and will need the .235 or even .250 front.

+1 About a quarter of our total guns exhibit this.

PlatoCATM
11-09-12, 22:40
Nice to hear a positive review as I have thought about buying one here recently.

My question, though, is whether there is a significant enough difference between the G34 and G17 to warrant owning both? For those who shoot both, I would like ot hear the difference in shootability, precision, etc..

ST911
11-09-12, 23:41
My question, though, is whether there is a significant enough difference between the G34 and G17 to warrant owning both? For those who shoot both, I would like ot hear the difference in shootability, precision, etc..

Unless you're a shooter capable of producing minute differences, it really doesn't matter.

The difference in balance can affect attributes of recoil and recoil control. The additional sight radius does allow for more precision. The extent to which it does depends on the shooter.

platoonDaddy
11-10-12, 05:32
My Blue Label Gen 4 G34 SXS prefix is currently back at the plant. Shooting WWB and Federal 115gr with 30274 ejector and a non-dip extractor, erratic ejection.

The Blue Label G34 is shipped with 5.5lb trigger pull.