PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 Performance Rear Sight - How tall front sight

Paulinski
02-12-08, 14:02
I just took my new build to the range. Perfect function but the gun shoots 6"-7" low at 25 yards.

Does anyone know the recommended front sight height for 10-8 rear sight?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/Dragnaath/Resize4.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/Dragnaath/Resize3-1.jpg

markm
02-12-08, 14:05
That's going to be unique to the gun. I think you can mathematically calculate the required sight decrease to get the POI correct, but I don't know the formula.

Edit: It's too bad we're not talking about a Glock. Ameriglo.com has a sight calculator on their website that's pretty handy for elevation corrections.

NCPatrolAR
02-12-08, 14:22
I'd check over at 10-8. I think Hilton has a thread on this.

Boss Hogg
02-12-08, 14:23
Picked one up for my M&P 9mm and need to see what fiber optic front sights will pair up with this one.

Paulinski
02-12-08, 14:27
I have contacted Hilton for his recommendation.

Wayne Dobbs
02-12-08, 15:26
To find out how much sight correction is needed at a given distance divide the weapon's sight radius by the range distance. Make sure and use the same type of measurement units, i. e., inches, millimeters, etc.

So if your blaster is shooting six inches low at 25 yards, take the sight radius in inches (I'll use eight inches as a guess on a 1911) and divide it by the range in inches (75 feet x 12 inches = 900 inches)

Therefore 8/900 = ~.009 inch for an inch of shot group change.

So, if you're six inches low you will need ~.054 of either lower rear sight or higher front sight to shift the group to center.

Hope that helps...

Paulinski
02-12-08, 15:31
I got a reply from Hilton.

To more POI 1" up at 25 yards the front sight hast to be 0.007 shorter.
So to move 6" up I need to loose 0.042 of my front sight I don't think I get remove that much.

Hilton makes 0.050 taller rear sight so that is my answer.

Paul

Jason Burton
02-12-08, 22:35
...I think you can mathematically calculate the required sight decrease to get the POI correct, but I don't know the formula.

The formula is: sight radius X error (how high/low your rounds are printing) divided by distance. As others have mentioned the figures all need to be in the same unit of measure.

A 5" 1911 will have approximately a 6.5" sight radius, so for 6" of error @ 25 yards the equation would read: 6.5 X 6 / 900... resulting in .043" change to the front or rear sight.

:)

Robb Jensen
02-13-08, 06:17
When I used a 10-8 rear sight on my Springfield Armory 'Loaded' I was told it was the same height as the factory Novak that it replaced. And it zero'd just fine with the factory Springfield dovetailed front. When ever I get my pistol back together (parkerized, then I'll Norrells it) I'll be using a new Scott Warren (Warren Tactical) rear sight that Scott made for me (same height as Novak), and a Springfield Armory night sight front.