PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed and used the AR Gold trigger?

jimmyp
11-01-12, 06:56
I Tried search forums, AR Gold, Gold and Trigger no luck.

Has anyone either a recommendation or an issue with this trigger? Its for a hunting rifle.

QuietShootr
11-01-12, 07:00
Nope, no issues at all - it's just not the 'supercool' trigger of the moment. I have one on my Mk12 that is set at 1.5 pounds, and it's perfectly drop-safe and creep free. For a hunting rifle it would be fantastic.

The_Hammer_Man
11-01-12, 18:16
The AR-Gold trigger is pretty close to flawless IMHO. I know most of the "high speed/low drag" crowd like triggers made by companies who's names start with G but it's a solid alternative.

I like them because of the "belts and suspenders" safety features built into it. Also, I've not heard anyone with a "it's not reliable" story yet.

The_Hammer_Man
11-01-12, 18:22
dumb double post!

wahoo95
11-01-12, 18:57
Very well made trigger! I had one and loved it, however fir a hunting rifle I would prefer a more traditional 2 stage....but that's me.

David Thomas
11-01-12, 22:36
Nope, no issues at all - it's just not the 'supercool' trigger of the moment. I have one on my Mk12 that is set at 1.5 pounds, and it's perfectly drop-safe and creep free. For a hunting rifle it would be fantastic.

I agree. Very well designed trigger.

jimmyp
11-02-12, 05:06
Very well made trigger! I had one and loved it, however fir a hunting rifle I would prefer a more traditional 2 stage....but that's me.

you think this trigger is too light for a hunting rifle?

wahoo95
11-02-12, 05:27

For me it's not an issue of it being too light. Instead its more an issue of the triggers action not being the best for precision slow fire. It was designed as more of a 3 Gun trigger. Mine had a verybtiny amount if take up followed by a light unpredictable break. For precision guns I prefer a traditional 2 stage trigger which allows me to stage my trigger for the break as I prepare to take the shot. I can also work with a solid single stage trigger which has no take up and a crisp break, however the Gold isn't really either.......much like the Geiselle S3G.

wahoo95
11-02-12, 05:47

For me it's not an issue of it being too light. Instead its more an issue of the triggers action not being the best for precision slow fire. It was designed as more of a 3 Gun trigger. Mine had a very tiny amount of take up followed by a light unpredictable break. For precision guns I prefer a traditional 2 stage trigger which allows me to stage my trigger for the break as I prepare to take the shot. I can also work with a solid single stage trigger which has no take up and a crisp break, however the Gold isn't really either.......much like the Geiselle S3G.

jimmyp
11-02-12, 08:55
Thanks good information. I tried the Geissele 3 gun trigger and I agree that type of trigger is not good in a hunting rifle. If AR Gold is the same then I need to do more research.

David Thomas
11-02-12, 10:18
For me it's not an issue of it being too light. Instead its more an issue of the triggers action not being the best for precision slow fire. It was designed as more of a 3 Gun trigger. Mine had a very tiny amount of take up followed by a light unpredictable break. For precision guns I prefer a traditional 2 stage trigger which allows me to stage my trigger for the break as I prepare to take the shot. I can also work with a solid single stage trigger which has no take up and a crisp break, however the Gold isn't really either.......much like the Geiselle S3G.

My experience with the AR Gold is the exact opposite. In my experience the AR Gold is more "crisp" than any other trigger I have tried, including the JP Single stage.

I have never tried the Geiselle S3g, so I can't comment on the comparison. Nevertheless, I can say that, in my opinion, the Gold is crisp and the break is predictable. The reset is soft, but it is super short.

Lu91
11-05-12, 20:23
In my experience the AR Gold Trigger is a very well designed trigger. I have many thoughts on why I like the trigger but I will attempt to keep the comments in the context of your question for using it on a hunting rifle.

After reading this thread went and shot the AR Gold to gather my thoughts and found that the most notable features that set the AR Gold apart form other triggers are the smoothness of the 1st Stage, the very crisp and predictable break, and the extremely fast reset.

During my shooting I did not have an apples to apples comparison as I was also shooting the AR Gold along side a Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger, which is a single stage trigger, but in the case of both slow and faster strings of fire I preferred the AR Gold Trigger over the Geissele. Even though the SD3G is an exceptional offering the AR Gold trigger is closest to a well tuned 1911 trigger that I have experienced in the AR platform.

In my opinion I see no problem installing this trigger on a hunting rifle, because it offers a very very clean first stage and nice break. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and only your training and comfort level should dictate whether the equipment is suitable for your needs.

Side notes:
1) As mentioned by DavidThomas, the reset is different ("softer") than other triggers in the aspect that there is a lack of pushback after pressing your shot that you might be used to on other models.
2) The trigger itself is quite a bit narrower than other triggers and might take some acclimation.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Noodles
11-07-12, 11:17
I tried one without knowing it, just messing around I got a 2-round accidental bump fire it was so light.

For my SPR, Carbine, Rifle, 22 conversion, everything - I prefer the Giessele SSA or SSA-E.

I'm even considering a two stage for my bolt guns I like them so much. Given the choice I wouldn't choose a single stage again.

Poor Knight
11-25-12, 21:18
The AR-Gold trigger is pretty close to flawless IMHO. I know most of the "high speed/low drag" crowd like triggers made by companies who's names start with G but it's a solid alternative.

I like them because of the "belts and suspenders" safety features built into it. Also, I've not heard anyone with a "it's not reliable" story yet.
Yesterday I would have agreed with you - I have one in my AR-15 and one in my LWRC REPR and have used them for a few years but - tried them today and they aren't working for some unknown reason. Had them, used them for a couple years now and all of a sudden they are spongy and don't function reliably??? :confused:

jimmyp
12-01-12, 04:45
mine was tried and went back.

Hehuhates
12-01-12, 06:18
mine was tried and went back.

What caused you to send it back?

jimmyp
12-01-12, 06:21
subjective decision but to me a $100 RRA trigger installed in a Noveske lower seemed better.

The_Hammer_Man
12-01-12, 14:13
Interesting issue you're having... first I've ever heard of one of these trigger packs... packing it in so to speak.

What was your round count?

I'm not sure what the service life for one of these is. Think I'll email them to find out.

jimmyp
12-01-12, 16:17
interesting trigger as well, I had the set screw about 1/2 way out of the body. Yes I fired my gun with the trigger in it, maybe its like broccoli, some likes it and some don't.