PDA

View Full Version : Gun free zone logistics

Tarheel
11-01-12, 21:25
I need some counsel from the experienced.

What is the best way for a commuter (car) to disarm and stow a semi-auto when going into a gun free zone for an extended period - most of the day as in workplace? I should probably say "most practical" rather than "best". It seems that even tho' safest, unloading is not the best because one wouldn't want passers-by to observe administrative gun handling. I'm also concerned about passers-by observing taking a holster off and stowing it.

I'd like to hear how others deal with this on a daily basis.

papasan
11-01-12, 21:37
I use a GunVault NV (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003841ZBS) to stow mine. slides under the passenger seat with ease, I leave the holster on.

if you want quicker access and a sturdier mount that's harder to break then there are better, more expensive solutions. but I'd rather find a job that lets me carry (;

Tarheel
11-02-12, 20:49
Thanks for the response.

I use a GunVault NV (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003841ZBS) to stow mine. slides under the passenger seat with ease, I leave the holster on.

I have a similar box. I'm trying to get a better understanding of how or if people unholster or take the holster off the belt. Do you drop the mag and clear then recharge and reholster sitting in the car. Since holstering is one of the most dangerous things we do it seems like even more care has to be given in the car. Plus when parked on the street or parking lot we're in a 360 environment without a backstop. Maybe I'm over thinking it but it seems like there's a lot that could go wrong.

... but I'd rather find a job that lets me carry (;

Me too, but right now I'm a corporate desk jockey so trying to figure out how to do what I can.

ST911
11-02-12, 21:06
What do you drive? You specify car. Do you have a center console? High vis/large windows? What can people see when they walk by?

The longer you handle the gun, the more exposed it is.

Paddle holster is an option. Slip it off in the car, quick cover with a cloth of some sort and drop in the center console or glove box. Lock those.

What are you wearing? You might be able to leave the house with a fanny pack, unbuckle it and leave it in your console or glove box, then snap it back on when you leave.

papasan
11-02-12, 21:08
I don't take it out of battery. the assumption on my part is that locked in the box is just as safe as holstered at my belt.

long finger, be aware of the muzzle direction (don't flag yourself or anyone in the car), and you will be fine IMHO. taking the holster off is more hassle than not, and if you have a pancake IWB it prolly wouldn't fit anyways.

ImBroke
11-02-12, 22:11
When I did carry IWB concealed to an office I would park away from the other cars and check the surroundings before removing the gun while still seated. I used a Comp-tac MTAC and the holster and gun came off together. Casual business pants with expandable waists are great for this. A thewilderness frequent flier belt in black made re-adjusting after removal easy. Getting back in the car, check surroundings again, loosen belt, expand pants waist and slip holster in.

MegademiC
11-02-12, 23:51
Comp tac Ctac. I just take it off(stays in holster the entire time), and stick it in my console.

I ussually look and make sure no one is around. If there is, a folder/papertowel/anyobject in you hand while doing it will make it look non-suspicious as they will see that, especially if its bright.

currahee
11-03-12, 00:12
I can't cary at work so I have a similar problem. I have a gunvault (the 200 model) cabled underneath my seat. I keep the gun loaded in the holster. I don't wear it on the way to work and only put it on if I am stopping someplace after. If so, I look for someplace a little more discrete to put it on, the back of the parking lot vs the front etc. A holster that easily clips on and off is a must.

jmoney
11-03-12, 07:32
I got some kind of console vault a few years back, I forget exactly where. It installs into my center console and functions as a safe. Been using it for years.

FAS1
11-05-12, 08:09
I know there needs to be some better options, especially if you don't drive a truck, SUV, or something with a little extra space under the seats, etc. for a stronger (but larger) lockbox.

I ran across this the other day and I have always thought they give a sense of false security since the cable can be cut easily with a pair of dykes. This guy said that his screwdriver was probably quicker!

markm
11-05-12, 08:13
Breif case always worked for me, Jack.

Scorpion
11-05-12, 15:04
Best way: don't disarm; have a gun small enough to conceal in your pocket (like a j-frame), and have a pocket holster or something like that for it. If it really is a gun-free zone (as in x-ray scanners, pat-down searches, other invasive means of detecting weapons), then ignore this. Cameras do not count.

What I used to do: Passively observe and note the amount of people and type of people around the place I plan to park. Once I park, mess around with something in the car like a phone or something. My phone's always on a charger when I'm in the car so this makes it easier. Take off my holster and pistol as quickly and safely as I could without making furtive movements and stash it. Get out of the car, STFU and act natural.

Try to park in places that obscure others' view of you inside your car. In front of bushes, behind vehicles larger than yours, things like that. Remember that most people aren't looking for anyone handling a firearm; they're usually in their own little world (smartphone) and pay almost no attention to their surroundings.

Bogart
11-05-12, 17:17
When I go to the gym I just park as far away from other people as possible but still in a place where my car is visible to hopefully deter a break in, and then quickly/safely pull my pistol and holster together out of my waistband after making sure no one was staring at me, and then place it in the console, lock it, cinch down my wilderness belt and go about my business.

Apricotshot
11-05-12, 19:30
I keep one of my glocks with a Vanguard 2 holster in the center console of my vault. If I have to wear it I can, but most the time it sits in the console. http://www.consolevault.com/toyota-tacoma-floor-console-2005-2011.html