PDA

View Full Version : Ethical / legal question

Courtab82
11-02-12, 16:11
As the title says, I've got an ethical/legal question. Not sure if this is the right forum, but I assume it involves ATF, so here goes. Through work, I have briefly become acquainted with someone who, I found out, has a similar interest in firearms as myself and we began talking about them. He started bragging about all the guns he has, and based on the collection, I didn't believe him but went along with the conversation. Then he showed me pictures, not just of the guns, but him holding them and posing with them. Included were SBRs with suppressors, full auto Uzi with suppressor, full auto ARs, .50 cal BMG, assorted suppressors for several pistols. The abundance of suppressors is due to the fact his father owns a machine shop, therefore, not a one of them is registered. To top it off, he is/was a convicted felon where by state law, can be sent to jail for up to 5 years per bullet he has in his possession. Now for the question: should I do anything about this? Is there a way to anonymously report this or do I just leave it alone? He's not very old, mid 20s, so the jail sentence would likely ruin his life, with that on my conscience. What would any of you do in a similar situation?

Suwannee Tim
11-02-12, 16:46
How do you know he is a felon?

Koshinn
11-02-12, 16:48
Aiding and abetting?

Idk. But it's probably not your call to judge him.

How do you know they aren't airsoft?

Courtab82
11-02-12, 17:17
How do you know he is a felon?

I know he spent time in prison and he admits it himself. I've heard his dad talk about him being in prison as well. I am not sure of what he was convicted of, however.

Courtab82
11-02-12, 17:19
Aiding and abetting?

Idk. But it's probably not your call to judge him.

How do you know they aren't airsoft?

They aren't airsoft. Saw a box of loaded mags with the stuff, and the suppressors he's built we definitely not for airsoft guns.

SteyrAUG
11-02-12, 17:19
The abundance of suppressors is due to the fact his father owns a machine shop, therefore, not a one of them is registered. To top it off, he is/was a convicted felon where by state law, can be sent to jail for up to 5 years per bullet he has in his possession. Now for the question: should I do anything about this? Is there a way to anonymously report this or do I just leave it alone? He's not very old, mid 20s, so the jail sentence would likely ruin his life, with that on my conscience. What would any of you do in a similar situation?

How do you know they didn't Form 1 them in his Dads name?

Also probably wouldn't be too damn hard for them to figure out it was you who turned them in.

tb-av
11-02-12, 17:26
Don't know about your state but some states the Governor can restore your rights to own/possess arms.

Are you sure he's guilty until proven innocent based on those pictures?

Courtab82
11-02-12, 17:29
How do you know they didn't Form 1 them in his Dads name?

Also probably wouldn't be too damn hard for them to figure out it was you who turned them in.

He was more than happy about the fact that none of the firearms or suppressors have paperwork. Not sure why, but I suppose he could be lying about that fact. The dad would have to be pretty careless to let his son have access to them and take the kinds of pictures he was with himself and his friends.

As far as him knowing/not knowing who turned him in, I agree, kind of. He was pretty eager to show off as much as he could. Not sure if it was something he does often or if he just thought he found a kindred spirit or whatever. As I said, he's mid 20s and has that "I'm invincible" hot head attitude that most of us have had, or still have.

Gun
11-02-12, 17:30
Did you ask this guy about being prohibited?

Suwannee Tim
11-02-12, 17:34
The situation seems weird. It is evidently a well known fact that he is a felon yet he brags about handling firearms. Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon is normally prosecuted by the state under state law. That the guns and cans belong to someone else does not matter. Holding a firearm in your hands is possession, a felon is not allowed to walk into a guns store and handle the dealer's stock. BATFE is not so much interested in cases like this as they are in busting dealers for paperwork errors. Maybe he is working with the BATFE. They need a never ending supply of felons and strawmen.

Courtab82
11-02-12, 17:39
Did you ask this guy about being prohibited?

What do you mean "prohibited?" Do you mean am I sure he's not allowed to own them? According to him, he's not. Again, he could be lying, but I don't know anybody that would offer that kind of iinformation about oneself if it was false. One of the reasons he gave for not having paperwork was because he couldn't have them in the first place. And he offered that up because I initially asked him how long he had to wait for the paperwork to be processed, because I have been waiting about 6 months so far for mine.

FeltaDorce
11-02-12, 17:46
Regardless of whether this guy is full of BS or not, put as much distance between you and him as possible. Never discuss guns again with him, and CERTAINLY never lend or borrow any firearms with this dude. It is obvious that he is bad news. That being said, I would not go so far as to report him, the way he is acting, this problem should solve itself.

Courtab82
11-02-12, 17:47
I guess something that might be helpful to know is that I don't exactly work in an office type environment. I work in oil fields in the middle of nowhere. He and his dad are pump mechanics who have a machine shop for the pump parts. It is Texas and people do just talk about guns. Especially with hunting season here.

tb-av
11-02-12, 18:04
What is your ethical dilemma? What is your job? Ethics are usually job related and associated with public trust and responsibility.

I think FeltaDorce hit the nail on the head. Get away from the guy. Let Darwin solve the rest. If he's not lying, it won't take long.

Courtab82
11-02-12, 18:10
What is your ethical dilemma? What is your job? Ethics are usually job related and associated with public trust and responsibility.

I think FeltaDorce hit the nail on the head. Get away from the guy. Let Darwin solve the rest. If he's not lying, it won't take long.

It's more of a personal ethical dilemma, as in should I say something to somebody, and if I do, that could have some pretty harsh consequences for someone his age. I suppose I could find a better word for it, but that's the one that popped up in my head.

Suwannee Tim
11-02-12, 19:21
......I think FeltaDorce hit the nail on the head. Get away from the guy. Let Darwin solve the rest. If he's not lying, it won't take long.

I had a friend who made acquaintance with a couple of Sailors out of Cecil Field, they were living in a trailer off base and we paid them a visit. They had all kinds of stuff, mostly ordnance but a few weapons as well, all stolen from the Navy. I couldn't get out of there fast enough but my buddy was driving and we spent about an hour there, about fifty nine minutes longer than I wanted to. Buddy had ambitions of becoming a cop and I told him he needed to stay as far away from them as possible. He didn't see a big problem. Less than two weeks later these guys were in the newspaper and they went to prison. Fortunately neither my buddy or I was ever even contacted. I'm with FeltaDorce. You are not a cop, this guy is no immediate threat to anyone and this stuff will catch up with him.

SteyrAUG
11-02-12, 19:49
It's more of a personal ethical dilemma, as in should I say something to somebody, and if I do, that could have some pretty harsh consequences for someone his age. I suppose I could find a better word for it, but that's the one that popped up in my head.

And you have so few personal obligations and responsibilities that this is what you are worried about? I think FeltaDorce gave you some excellent advice.

Iraqgunz
11-02-12, 23:21
What do you want hear? I mean seriously. It's funny how everyone talks about doing the right thing, but when it comes to firearms it's always a different story.

1. Convicted felons in possession of firearms is bad- PERIOD. It reflects poorly on other gun owners and gives ammo to the anti-gunners.

2. Possessing or having NFA weapons is a federal and state crime. It makes it appear as if any felon can acquire them and hurts all NFA owners who legally have them.

3. I would also stay as far away from him as possible as well because who knows what kind of shit you are getting roped into.

4. I would DEFINITELY let someone know about this behavior and your suspicions.