PDA

View Full Version : Strange M&P problem.

cslone
11-02-12, 17:38
I bought this FS 9mm a month ago. I have not sent it in yet but will be as soon as S&W gets me a return form. My intention is not to rag on Smith as they have not even seen the pistol. It's just a weird problem that none of us on the department could figure out and I was wondering if there's something we're missing? Anyone ran in to anything like this before? I'm on shift now, so any pics of the chamber will have to be tomorrow morning.

Here is my letter to S&W customer service. I'm part Neanderthal, so excuse the structure.

I purchased the gun and shot 500 rounds immediately. These rounds were a mix of 115g/124g PMC, Fiocchi and Winchester white box. I had zero misfeeds/misfires and every round performed as it should. I would describe this type of shooting as basic target shooting.

I planned on carrying this pistol for duty use and took it to training to run multiple drills, rapid fires, reloads, etc. Normal duty type scenarios. The gun performed flawlessly for the first 300 rounds of the day with Winchester White Box. I then switched to our current practice ammo which is Speer Lawman 115g. At this point(unknown how many rounds of Speer Lawman but less than 2 magazines), I had a misfire. I dropped my magazine and attempted to run the slide. IT WAS LOCKED, AND APPEARED TO STILL BE IN BATTERY. No amount of force would unlock the slide. I could pull the trigger, but the round did not fire and there was no reset. I took it to the armory and finally got it to unlock, ejecting the round. I replaced the magazine and cycled the slide. THE FIRST ROUND WENT IN AS NORMAL. I did not fire the gun, but when I ran the slide a second time, it was again, locked. After a few hard pulls of the slide, it unlocked. I again inserted a full magazine and ran the slide, which chambered a round as normal. I repeated this multiple times, each time having difficulty ejecting a live round if it even ejected at all.

I field stripped and cleaned/lubed the gun, then reassembled. I repeatedly had the same problem with rounds ejecting when the slide was cycled. The first round would ALWAYS chamber properly both on a closed(slingshot method) and open(slide lock) bolt. I repeatedly had trouble with it ejecting. 90% of the time, the slide was completely locked and would not move more than 1cm to the rear. After multiple pulls, it would occasionally release and most times it took two of us to release it(one holding the gun and one pulling the slide). After 10-15 minutes of looking over the extractor, ejector, frame and barrel, I reassembled the gun and placed a full magazine in it. I attempted to cycle a full magazine through just by cycling the slide. This worked and every round ejected normally. I then went out and shot a 6 shot rapid fire with no problems. 2 minutes later, I went to perform another drill. When I press checked my gun, it was locked.

I then tried to work out possible issues with our department armorers. We field stripped and examined the spent rounds and parts of the weapon. Some of the expended rounds had light primer strikes. Nothing out of the ordinary was seen by our armorers on the weapon itself. We then dropped a round into the barrel while it was out of the gun. No forcing, I just dropped it in. We had to use a plastic tool to remove the round as it would not come out by itself. We noticed the multiple other guns we have in inventory did not do this. After we looked at the barrel, the chamber appears, to our eyes, possibly out of round. As a theory, we loaded 4 magazines with Speer Gold Dot 124g duty ammo. The gun ran perfect for 4 magazines. We then loaded a magazine with a random Speer Lawman 115g round. The gun functioned fine until the Lawman round was chambered and it locked up again, this time about 2cm of the recoil spring rod was sticking out of the front of the gun.

I loaded a couple of my Shield magazines with Speer Lawman 115g and fired all of them with no issue out of my 9mm Shield. Our 4th gen Glocks and one Sig 226 all ran this ammo with zero malfunctions.

Nephrology
11-02-12, 19:36
I bought this FS 9mm a month ago. I have not sent it in yet but will be as soon as S&W gets me a return form. My intention is not to rag on Smith as they have not even seen the pistol. It's just a weird problem that none of us on the department could figure out and I was wondering if there's something we're missing? Anyone ran in to anything like this before? I'm on shift now, so any pics of the chamber will have to be tomorrow morning.

Here is my letter to S&W customer service. I'm part Neanderthal, so excuse the structure.

Sounds like an issue with barrel/chamber dimensions. S&W will take care of it. Keep us updated.

citizensoldier16
11-02-12, 21:32
I think Nephrology nailed it. Don't worry, S&W has an excellent reputation for making their products right if they are not so in the consumer's hands. I sent my M&P9c back because it had horrible consistency - it shot 10" groups high and right at 7 yards. Turns out it was a defective barrel with improper dimensions. Send it back, and give them time. They'll correct the problem.

citizensoldier16
11-02-12, 21:44
I think Nephrology nailed it. Don't worry, S&W has an excellent reputation for making their products right if they are not so in the consumer's hands. I sent my M&P9c back because it had horrible consistency - it shot 10" groups high and right at 7 yards. Turns out it was a defective barrel with improper dimensions. Send it back, and give them time. They'll correct the problem.

cslone
11-03-12, 17:41
That's what I was thinking. I just thought it was strange to only have problems on that specific brand of ammo.
I've sent my RA request, hopefully I'll get it taken care of soon. This one is a 3" gun at 75' so I'm hoping a replacement barrel doesn't have the 12" at 75' problem.

Lomshek
11-04-12, 00:24
This sounds like the problem I had on my first replacement barrel to correct the accuracy problem.

S&W sent me a barrel that did not have a proper leade machined. Empty cases fit into the chamber but some brands of factory loaded ammo would do exactly as you're describing.

The problem depended on the combination of ogive shape and OAL. It was most noticeable with Winchester 127+p+ and Federal HST 147. Those two rounds would be an easy 1/16" from fully chambering. The bullet nose/ogive would be "hard seated" (as high power shooters say) into the rifling.

S&W replaced that barrel and now the gun does a stellar 6" or so at 25 yards with some ammo :( which is at least better than the previous 8 - 12".

They fixed it all for free but the bottom line is someone and S&W should be flipping burgers after ****ing up something that important. QC that shitty should be fireable not met with a big "meh" from the factory.

cslone
11-07-12, 18:17
This sounds like the problem I had on my first replacement barrel to correct the accuracy problem.

S&W sent me a barrel that did not have a proper leade machined. Empty cases fit into the chamber but some brands of factory loaded ammo would do exactly as you're describing.

The problem depended on the combination of ogive shape and OAL. It was most noticeable with Winchester 127+p+ and Federal HST 147. Those two rounds would be an easy 1/16" from fully chambering. The bullet nose/ogive would be "hard seated" (as high power shooters say) into the rifling.

S&W replaced that barrel and now the gun does a stellar 6" or so at 25 yards with some ammo :( which is at least better than the previous 8 - 12".

They fixed it all for free but the bottom line is someone and S&W should be flipping burgers after ****ing up something that important. QC that shitty should be fireable not met with a big "meh" from the factory.

That sucks. I have no doubt they'll take care of me but I agree with you. I'm just afraid my sub 4" barrel at 25yds will get replaced with on that is a 12" barrel/25yds.

I sent it out today, so hopefully turn around isn't too long.

groot
11-07-12, 20:39
I had a similar problem, but, it involved a non-captured recoil spring. The spring was installed backward, the larger end toward the breech, small end toward muzzle. This allowed the spring to drop down slightly binding the slide on the plastic frame. correctly installing the spring resolved the issue.

cslone
11-21-12, 11:30
Sent the gun out 11-7-12
Delivered to Smith 11-9-12
Return shipping email 11-16-12
In my hands 11-20-12

It doesn't get much better than that, IMO. As was suspected, they blamed the barrel dimensions. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the chamber looks better and the problem ammo cycles fine in my very scientific garage testing(load up 3 mags full and hand cycle them to see if they hang up). All rounds ejected properly and the rounds seem to sit "deeper" in the chamber.

I'm hoping to go shoot it tonight, but if not, it will be the weekend.

cslone
11-28-12, 10:30
I forgot to update on the pistol.

I got a chance to shoot it on the 21st. I ran 250rds through it with various ammo. I ran 100 rounds of the offending Lawman ammo with no issues at all.
I like to run 1000 trouble free rounds before I call it fixed, but it seems to be on its way to being a solid gun. Props to S&W for taking care of me so fast.

m4brian
11-28-12, 10:37
How is the accuracy? Thanks.

Hehuhates
11-28-12, 10:38
I forgot to update on the pistol.

I got a chance to shoot it on the 21st. I ran 250rds through it with various ammo. I ran 100 rounds of the offending Lawman ammo with no issues at all.
I like to run 1000 trouble free rounds before I call it fixed, but it seems to be on its way to being a solid gun. Props to S&W for taking care of me so fast.

How was the accuracy did it stay @ 3"/25 yards?

Oops...Beat me to it.

cslone
11-28-12, 10:50
Sorry, forgot to add that. At 15yds I was shooting holes inside of holes. At 75' offhand I was around 6". I didn't have access to a resting position that night but I think 6" is acceptable and I'm positive it would do better with a rest or better shooter.