PDA

View Full Version : Optic for a new build

newyork
11-02-12, 23:49
I am down to one rifle and am now building a second. No more after this for a while. Current rifle has T1 which I have used on this rifle and a few others in the past few years.
Second build will be very similar except I may do a 1-4 instead of another T1, not sure yet. Failure to Stop has talked to me via email and has me 90% sold on a SWFA, Bobro and Cattail. I have 4 other optics in mind that are holding up my decision.
1. Nightforce 1-4 with FC-2. Not an NP-1 fan and don't need the ml-dot.
2. Trijicon TR24R. Simple no battery operation. Light.
3. IOR Valdada Pitbull. Short but heavy. Wide FOV. Fast from 1-4.
4. Just get another T1 and a box of ammo and be done with it. I'M used to it. Its small, light, durable and much cheaper.
I mostly shoot from 0-50 yds and 200. Not much between, Not much further. Classes and occasional matches.
Rich

Breadman
11-03-12, 00:30
I think you will be pleased with a low power variable in addition to your Aimpoint.
I have experience with several, although only the Trijicon from the ones you mentioned. FWIW, I am pleased with Nightforce quality on my 2.5-10 and I have heard nightmarish stories about IOR customer service.
I own some very expensive scopes, and one thing I'll tell you is that EVERY ONE has something about it that I would change. This can be very frustrating, but I wonder how much I would notice it if I only had experience with one.
Good luck with your decision.

cop1211
11-03-12, 01:13
I've had the NF fc2, and the TR24, can't go wrong with either of those.

For lowlight/no light I like the NF better, for day light I like the TR24R.

The glass on both are pretty even.

The NF is smaller and more compact, but the eyebox on the TR24 is bigger.

Haven't used the SWFA but have heard its nice, I have the SWFA 1-6 coming.

I'd say if most of your shooting is in daylight I'd go for either the TR24 or the SWFA.

newyork
11-03-12, 07:18
I shoot during the day only at this point. I would like to take a low light class whenever possible but I suppose I could just take the rifle with the T1 to one. Although I would prefer Low light capabilities in both set ups.
Basically want rugged, simple reticle and controls, and to keep it down in the weight department. I want illumination but it doesn't have to be daylight visible.

newyork
11-03-12, 08:54
Although I'm heavily leaning SWFA/Bobro ext mount, I just saw a TR24R in a Larue Ext mount for $775 shipped and man that's tempting!