PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone. First timer here w/a question

danno1
11-03-12, 08:17
Glad to be part of an experienced group of people. I have to say I have the bug to buy my first AR. And although I've been researching about all the brands out there (and whats not) I narrowed it down to:
S&W MOD 15 M&P T
S&W MOD 15 ORC
or
STAG MOD 3
I also need it compliant for CT.

Need it also under 1000.00 (preferably inc tax)

Blazer15
11-03-12, 08:33
You've been researching huh?

Blazer15
11-03-12, 08:35
DSG has 6920's and 6970's for less than a grand.

Airhasz
11-03-12, 08:44
Glad to be part of an experienced group of people. I have to say I have the bug to buy my first AR. And although I've been researching about all the brands out there (and whats not) I narrowed it down to:
S&W MOD 15 M&P T
S&W MOD 15 ORC
or
STAG MOD 3
I also need it compliant for CT.

Need it also under 1000.00 (preferably inc tax)

Not much love for those choices here :no:

danno1
11-03-12, 08:46
Well I know whats on the top, middle, and bottom shelves and what seems in the middle would be these two.
Hey I like Rock River but do I want to wait 4-6mos and over 1K?
LWRC are up there too.
Stag has made parts for other companies and S&W I know is used by Police Depts also.

I"m looking here in the northeast with and also don't want to build one either. At least not my first.

Also* must have a rail system and fold down sights

Hmac
11-03-12, 08:49
As entry-level, consumer-grade rifles go, those brands might be suitable for applications where a failure won't create any more problems than cutting short a day of plinking. If we're talking professional-grade, reliable, proven rifles, the Colt 6920 is likely the best bang-for-buck on the market. They are readily available for the $1000 price range. You might even find one at your local WalMart.

Police departments use Bushmaster and DPMS too. That can happen when administrators and bean-counters start picking weapons based on price rather than functionality. Not a very good yardstick.

CMT (parent company of Stag) does indeed make parts for other companies. The thing that tends to separate the top from bottom tiers is the QA standards that those other companies set for those parts -- which ones they'll accept for their rifles and which ones they throw away.

Blazer15
11-03-12, 08:52
So you're not willing to buy online?

ztug
11-03-12, 09:23
Go with the S&W at least it is a name brand. I know Colt AR-15 and Sporter are specifically banned in CT but are Colts of a different Model Number, that meet the bans features, available? If so, save the extra $100 and buy a Colt. In Florida they are going for $1097 at Walmart and other dealers are competitive. As I recall, if you have a removable mag and a pistol grip you can't have any other evil features like flash hider, collapsible stock or bayonet lug. If a Bullet Button makes it a fixed mag in CT, you would be allowed to have something close to an M4 configuration with a permanently attached muzzle break and a collapsible stock.
I know there are some haters in here but another manufacturer to look at is Spike's , I love mine and have never had a minutes problem with it. I know they make California compliant and I would think that they would make any adjustments needed to meet Connecticut laws. Mine ran about $850 for a mid length 16"

currahee
11-03-12, 09:31
I have two friends that have S&Ws and are very happy. They shoot thousands of rounds at matches, classes and in training. I would buy one if you can get the features you want at a cost competitive with getting a "top tier" and adding stuff.

I really like their TS model.

Toyoland66
11-03-12, 09:42
Also* must have a rail system and fold down sights

how are you planning on configuring it that you "think" you need rails and folding sights?

Please do yourself a favor and do more research and read all of the stickied threads before you spend a bunch of money.

danno1
11-03-12, 09:55
So you're not willing to buy online?

I wouldn't mind to but add shipping and FFL fees you're right up there also.

It has to be a fixed stock and no more than one "evil" item.

If worse comes to worse, what I might do is place an order with Rock River for either the Elite Op 2, or Tact Op 2. I have to put 20% down which comes out to about 200.00 on 1000.00 which is the item cost.

Then put down a couple hunderd down at a time. Sounds like I got time.

danno1
11-03-12, 09:57
how are you planning on configuring it that you "think" you need rails and folding sights?

Please do yourself a favor and do more research and read all of the stickied threads before you spend a bunch of money.

In the near future I'd like to add a few items on the rail. In the mean time at least the sights would be available on it.

VIP3R 237
11-03-12, 10:16
If worse comes to worse, what I might do is place an order with Rock River for either the Elite Op 2, or Tact Op 2. I have to put 20% down which comes out to about 200.00 on 1000.00 which is the item cost.

Then put down a couple hunderd down at a time. Sounds like I got time.

IMO this would be a mistake, RRA is infamous for poor quality materials and manufacturing processes. The S&W and Stag are considered superior firearms vs rra. I personally would lean toward the S&W, i've owned a couple in the past and they run pretty well, however they are a a little overgassed so i would recommend throwing in a H or H2 buffer in.

danno1
11-03-12, 10:23
Go with the S&W at least it is a name brand. I know Colt AR-15 and Sporter are specifically banned in CT but are Colts of a different Model Number, that meet the bans features, available? If so, save the extra $100 and buy a Colt. In Florida they are going for $1097 at Walmart and other dealers are competitive. As I recall, if you have a removable mag and a pistol grip you can't have any other evil features like flash hider, collapsible stock or bayonet lug. If a Bullet Button makes it a fixed mag in CT, you would be allowed to have something close to an M4 configuration with a permanently attached muzzle break and a collapsible stock.
I know there are some haters in here but another manufacturer to look at is Spike's , I love mine and have never had a minutes problem with it. I know they make California compliant and I would think that they would make any adjustments needed to meet Connecticut laws. Mine ran about $850 for a mid length 16"

Heard all good things about Spikes.

Seems as soon as you start adding a Quad Rail, and Fixed Stock it peaks the price to where I really don't want to be. But if....

danno1
11-03-12, 10:26
IMO this would be a mistake, RRA is infamous for poor quality materials and manufacturing processes. The S&W and Stag are considered superior firearms vs rra. I personally would lean toward the S&W, i've owned a couple in the past and they run pretty well, however they are a a little overgassed so i would recommend throwing in a H or H2 buffer in.

WOW first I heard bad about RRA. What is a H/H2 buffer?

Smash
11-03-12, 10:27
My opinion would be to find a lower that meets your legal needs. You should be able to find a decent one that isn't ridiculously expensive. Then you can buy a flat-top upper with an A2 front sight from a higher end mfg. separately and even if it doesn't start with a rail you wont need one until you have the funds for the light and other items anyway.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm (Look at the bottom for the accessories to add)

Pop a rear sight on and your doing well to start. No FFL fees for an upper.

Blazer15
11-03-12, 10:27
Just get a MOE handguard.

VIP3R 237
11-03-12, 10:44

Spend some time researching and using the search button and you'll see what i mean by rra. They do not have a very good reputation.

H (3.9oz) or H2 (4.6 oz) buffers are a heavier weight buffer than can help with overgassed guns by increasing the mass weight.

The M&PT model is a pretty good deal, it has the melonite treated 1-8 5R rifled barrels which are decent quality.

JSGlock34
11-03-12, 10:54
Welcome to the site. Undoubtedly this thread will be locked shortly, as this question comes up repeatedly. The forum membership tends to recommend one of the 'BCD' rifles (that's BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense) for a first AR purchase. While prices appear to be climbing again as we get closer to the election, the prices on Colt rifles (look for the 6920 or 6720) are very reasonable these days. Colt makes specific CA compliant models - not sure about CT.

Don't focus on rail systems; they can be added later if required. Invest money in the base gun, not the whiz bang accessories.

RRA is not held is high regard here.

500grains
11-03-12, 11:07
S&W MOD 15 M&P T
S&W MOD 15 ORC
or
STAG MOD 3

Fail. These are plinker quality guns. You want a battle rifle? Get a Colt 6920 for $999 and have it sent to ADCO to make it commie-compliant.

scoutchris
11-03-12, 11:18
Fail. These are plinker quality guns. You want a battle rifle? Get a Colt 6920 for $999 and have it sent to ADCO to make it commie-compliant.

Although I hate this thread as a whole, I don't think the OP, or you, or 99.999999999% of the members of this forum are ever going to take their personal weapons to "battle". But I guess people can claim whatever they want on the interwebs.

Blazer15
11-03-12, 11:23
Although I hate this thread as a whole, I don't think the OP, or you, or 99.999999999% of the members of this forum are ever going to take their personal weapons to "battle". But I guess people can claim whatever they want on the interwebs.

That's true. But the basic idea is the same when it comes to home defense.

If it might be used as such.

Hmac
11-03-12, 11:31

Yikes! What kind of "research" did you do, exactly?

7.62WildBill
11-03-12, 11:31

While I will never carry my Colt into battle, I think there are plenty of law enforcement and private security professionals who are members here that would disagree with your statistics.

Edit: To OP: If you haven't researched this forum, you have not done adequate research.

Hmac
11-03-12, 11:32

THAT is your rationalization for buying a sub-par firearm?

Iraqgunz
11-03-12, 12:18
You have been warned before about attempting to stir the pot with your posts. If you don't have something positive to contribute or you disagree with the mission statement of M4C feel free to log out.