PDA

View Full Version : Paramedic school

reiswigt
11-03-12, 11:06
It was just over a year ago I was asking for flashlight recommendations for EMT class. Well, it's been an interesting year of volunteering with an ambulance service, ski patrol and now attending fire academy! I've learned tons and had a great time.

Last week I received my acceptance letter to paramedic school, so the 18 months starting in January are going to be intense!

Thanks for all of the information, suggestions and support that you have all provided. This is a great community!

TysonB209
11-03-12, 11:32
good luck man! have fun.. I dont miss medic school one bit.

jmnielsen
11-03-12, 11:48
How did you like being an EMT? I've been looking at becoming one: A. Because I think I would enjoy it, and B. A lot of PA schools require you have paid work in a health field.

reiswigt
11-03-12, 14:12
I have enjoyed it, every one needs help on a bad day. Locally there really are not any paying EMT jobs, so it's all been volunteer time.

If you have interest, I would highly recommend the class, just know its a lot of time and learning. It felt like I was trying to drink out of a fire hose! It would have helped if I had taken biology in high school or college. It did make A&P easier though!

Texas42
11-03-12, 18:58
How did you like being an EMT? I've been looking at becoming one: A. Because I think I would enjoy it, and B. A lot of PA schools require you have paid work in a health field.

Really? I didn't know that. Interesting.

Reiswigt, good luck. I have a lot of respect for you guys.

Hizzie
11-04-12, 01:00
Congrats!

I'm 1/3 the way through Paramedic School. It is awsome. Took a cadaver lab (extra) and AMLS (extra) to try to improve my skills above and beyond my classmates. Brush up on that algebra, med math kicks many people's ass.

Ouroborous
11-04-12, 01:21
It was just over a year ago I was asking for flashlight recommendations for EMT class. Well, it's been an interesting year of volunteering with an ambulance service, ski patrol and now attending fire academy! I've learned tons and had a great time.

Last week I received my acceptance letter to paramedic school, so the 18 months starting in January are going to be intense!

Thanks for all of the information, suggestions and support that you have all provided. This is a great community!

I remember when you were finishing up the EMT program last year-sounds like you've put it to good use. Congrats on the medic program and fire academy.

chuckman
11-04-12, 08:10
Congrats! I "backed" into medic school when I abruptly had to change jobs, haven't looked back....been in the medical field since 1991. Still one of the more rewarding jobs I had.

Caduceus
11-04-12, 09:04
Congrats!

I'm 1/3 the way through Paramedic School. It is awsome. Took a cadaver lab (extra) and AMLS (extra) to try to improve my skills above and beyond my classmates. Brush up on that algebra, med math kicks many people's ass.
AMLS?

Good luck! I hear it's fun - was a career I started looking into before I got into medical school. Some days I wish I was still on a rig- it's great to clock out and leave the job behind.

Edit: realized I have contradictory statements. I was an EMT-B before med school, hence the "on a rig" comment.

chuckman
11-04-12, 13:43
AMLS?

Advanced Medical Life Support. Offered through NAEMT. Another 'merit badge' course, algorithmic-driven, very popular in some areas, not so much so in others.

YO_Doc
11-04-12, 17:43
Congrats on P-school man. I took that plunge many years ago and now run a staff of around 400.. Who knows where this choice will lead you. The choice has taken me to several different countries, Columbine and many other interesting events.

Like the advice above take all of the extra training that you can get be it the required ACLS and PALS add in PHTLS/ITLS, AMLS, any geri med classes that you can get into any cadaver lab, any time you walk past a airway mannequin take 2 minutes and drop an OPA and NPA King and intubate the dam thing, work on just using a BVM and NPA then try it in strange places, under a chair, laying on your side and with the lights turned off.

Remember regardless of how long you stay a Paramedic you will never stop learning, this is a life long learning commitment.

citizensoldier16
11-07-12, 23:07
Congrats on getting into P-school! Pay particular attention to cardiology and respiratory. These two chapters will cover about 90% of your patients. Learn everything you can. Study 12-leads, capnography, and know how respiratory and cardiology work in tandem with one another. I STRONGLY suggest the book "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" by Dale Dubin.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Interpretation-EKGs-Sixth-Edition/dp/0912912065

If you can, look into a Bob Page class in your area. Check out his website:

http://www.multileadmedics.com

And for goodness sakes...get a subscription to JEMS!

http://www.jems.com/

NinjaMedic
11-13-12, 19:43
Disagree, use the Garcia 12-Lead book . . .

SteveL
11-14-12, 13:52
Congrats on acceptance and good luck with it.

jwfuhrman
11-14-12, 14:04

18 months, shit, our certification course was done in 11..... I wish it was 18 months, I wouldn't have felt so brain dead

Caduceus
11-18-12, 16:58
18 months?!? Where I used to be an EMT, paramedic was 6-7 months of schooling. Check out Daniel Freeman or Mt. SAC programs in California ...

Missed that somehow on my first pass read. Thanks, btw, on the AMLS update - google'd it, just never replied a few weeks back when you took the time to answer.

chuckman
11-18-12, 17:39
My cert program was about a year long with classes, about 20-24 months with clinical and precepting. We had a lot more clinical time than the local 2-year AS degree program.

ar911d
11-21-12, 17:24
Good luck and have fun. I had a lot of fun in medic class. Just remember to be brave and try to do all you can. Now is the time to get in over your head and screw up because you have someone watching over your shoulder to take care of you and the patient if things go sideways. I know it's embarrassing to screw up in front of people, but it's a lot worse to do it in the truck by yourself when your patient needs you.

Brian Hagler
11-24-12, 18:04
Caduceus, I am curious like you. When I went it was 9 months, 57.5 credit hours. Of course things change, that was back in 1991.

reiswigt
11-24-12, 21:23
Caduceus, I am curious like you. When I went it was 9 months, 57.5 credit hours. Of course things change, that was back in 1991.

The core paramedic classes are 55 credits. These are spit up as follows, 8 the first quarter (2 lab, 6 lecture), 9 the next 4 quarters (3 lab, 6 lecture) and 2 credits the last quarter. The two year AA degree requires a total of 105 credits. Not all states require the AA degree, but some do. Oregon does and I'm only 10 miles from the state line.

Fortunately for me, due to five years of college 20 years ago, I only have to take two classes (8 credits). Our rotation and internship hours range between 1,500 and 2,000.

Royalflush
12-04-12, 14:48
Good luck! very rewarding career!

I was an EMT for 4 years when i was in undergrad considering going into med school. I decided to go to veterinary school instead, but I can can say being in emergency medicine has given me an edge in so many critical situations when you are forced to make a decision- not only just in medicine.

There is absolutely no replacement for having the knowledge stored in your "mental muscle memory", so study hard, commit the principal- not just the treatments to your mind, because so in so many situations- there is no "book scenario", and you'll have to walk yourself through step by step!

citizensoldier16
12-07-12, 00:32
There's a saying in EMS, at least that I'm familiar with...and thats this: "Paramedics save lives, whereas EMTs save Paramedics". The take home message here is never forget your BLS training. Trust me...as a medic, nothing is more absolute.

tacti-cool
02-11-13, 11:04
as a Medic, congrats.. its hard, but very fun..

reiswigt
02-13-13, 00:14
Thanks for the encouragement! It's amazing how something can make your head spin and make your face grin at the same time. I know it's going to be a long haul, but I'm glad I made the choice to pursue this. A month and a half down, fifteen and a half to go!