PDA

View Full Version : Rail Only Light or Hand held that can be mounted

crackpantspaintr
11-03-12, 21:02
I did a quick search nothing really popped up I am hoping you guys can help.

Background: I have never really wanted to spend the money for a light but I am signed up for a carbine course that requires I have a light.

Question 1: Do I get the one piece light that mounts on a rail or get a hand held that can be mounted via a mount (wow i know)?

Thought 1: If I have to get one might as well get a nice one and not a throw away just for the class.

Concern 1: Because I have to get this light I was thinking I get one that I can use on my AR during the class and then throw it on my pistol at home because I don't really have the chance to shoot in the dark at a local range, but I had read so much back and forth of whether to have a light on your home defense pistol due to muzzling love ones.

Question 2: Is there a light that can do this dual purpose well?

Question 3: Are light better when they have one purpose? One setup for the AR and one for the pistol?

Concern 2: I would rather not buy multiple lights because as I said earlier Flash lights never really had a purpose in my mind bc I dont shoot at night and I have handheld ones for around the house.

Thanks for your help. Does want some opinions before I spend $200+ on something I wasn't really looking to get.

mdain
11-03-12, 21:07
A Surefire Fury in a VTAC mount should only run about 115-120. If you want something to go on both a rifle and pistol, an X300 or a TLR-1 would work well.

msap
11-03-12, 21:45
I'm confused by your post. You're only buying a light for an upcoming class but then you're gonna remove the light because you see no reason for it and you don't intend on shooting at night? I hope your class experience changes your thinking regarding weapon lights.

Mr.Anderson
11-03-12, 22:16
http://www.surefire.com/g2-nitrolon.html

G2 - I don't remember paying $60 for mine...

They ARE bright. Twist to stay on and momentary push button.
Cabela's (and cheaper than dirt) has mounts for app. $15

$75ish. Slap it on your rail. Use it. Take it off/out of the mount and you could use it like a "normal" light.

Link to show how mine is mounted:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=792

Scroll down to about 3/4 mark.

It's not the most high speed and it may not work for you, depending upon your "grip". Mine does. At a lot less than $200

crackpantspaintr
11-04-12, 07:12
I'm confused by your post. You're only buying a light for an upcoming class but then you're gonna remove the light because you see no reason for it and you don't intend on shooting at night? I hope your class experience changes your thinking regarding weapon lights.

Couple things: 1. I'm sure this class will change my perspective because I never have trained at night 2. My thought is that I would remove it from my AR and put it on my pistol. The main reason for this would be because other then this class or any future classes I don't have anyway to live fire train at night.

Just me writing that seems like a rail only mounted light may be the best situation.

So then I guess my question is which is a better a pistol mounted light or handheld for home defense because you do not want to use your pistol light to search for loved ones because you would muzzle them. I suppose there are probably plenty of topics out in the web space about that.

fourXfour
11-04-12, 08:05
My answer is get and try both. My house Glock & AR have mounted X300's.

I also have a a few G2LEDs. One is mounted to my second AR and one is kept by my bed. I don't usually carry a light mounted handgun concealed, so I still routinely train with handheld lights.

You don't need to buy everything all at once. Try different things, especially in classes.

BigLarge
11-04-12, 16:13
I have used my TLR-1 as a hand-held light when my other light died on the street.

Based on what you are saying, I would get a TLR-1. Doesnt sound like you really want or need much more than that.

Voodoo_Man
11-04-12, 17:21
I have gun lights that mount on rails, tlr1s, wx150 and a x5l gen2. They do the job I want them to do, which is to be a weaponlight.

Do I carry backup handheld flashlights? Yep usually two or three depending on the situation.

For rifle the tlr1 is awesome and priced very reasonably

Toyoland66
11-04-12, 18:41
OP - telling us how your rifle is currently configured may help.

crackpantspaintr
11-04-12, 20:07
OP - telling us how your rifle is currently configured may help.

Sure.

Eotech with some mbus that's it.

Toyoland66
11-04-12, 22:38
Sure.

Eotech with some mbus that's it.

I was more referring to hand guard and barrel config.

If you are running rails and a low pro gas block, or a fixed FSB with a car cut out rail then an X300 at 12:00 is a good solution. If you are running standard hand guards and a fixed FSB there is the mossie tactics mount that allows you to mount an X300 to the FSB at 12:00. If you are running MOE hand guards then Impact Weapons Components has some nice mounts for mounting at 11:00 or 1:00.

IMHO you should consider a light for both your handgun and your rifle, especially if you are using them for HD.

TehLlama
11-05-12, 04:26
At night especially, I'm an adherent of the 'Two is One, One is None' concept, especially with high powered 123A Lithium eating beasts. The handheld light is a great backup, train on using it even if you have a WML to use (obviously focus on using that first).

For the cost of the VTAC light mount and a G2 type SureFire, a WML is pretty accessible (and that mount gives you 11:00 and 1:00 options), and for handheld lights the cute small executive style lights can wind up being a better value if you're more likely to EDC it.

For WMLs, Surefire has a definite edge - while there are some great streamlight/insight and Inforce lights that fill some niches in the WML side of things, SF always has one of the best products, even if the price seems high when you're first looking at it.

crackpantspaintr
11-05-12, 07:55
I was more referring to hand guard and barrel config.

If you are running rails and a low pro gas block, or a fixed FSB with a car cut out rail then an X300 at 12:00 is a good solution. If you are running standard hand guards and a fixed FSB there is the mossie tactics mount that allows you to mount an X300 to the FSB at 12:00. If you are running MOE hand guards then Impact Weapons Components has some nice mounts for mounting at 11:00 or 1:00.

IMHO you should consider a light for both your handgun and your rifle, especially if you are using them for HD.

This will be my setup for my class. 10.5" barrel switchblock long rail and suppressor. If the pic works.

I am starting to think at first start with a SF x300 ultra and mount with thorntail 45deg rail piece so I can get it t the 11 or 1 position like the guy above me recommended.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AAC/STCK0522-1024-Stick.jpg

markm
11-05-12, 08:01
You can get economic and rugged hand held SOLARFORCE LED lights from SBflashlights.com.

Unless you're hung up on buying American ONLY and/or insist on fattening SureFire's bottom line, they're a great value.

I run them on all of my guns. The Vtac mount will work with them, but I use GearSector and Vltor mounts since I dedicate the light to the weapon... and prefer a strong, metal mount.

crackpantspaintr
11-06-12, 17:22
thank you for your help.

I am going to try out the Haley Strategic Thorntail 45deg offset rail piece with an SF X300 Ultra.

Should work for my class and i can drop it on my pistol.

Thank you

glocktogo
11-06-12, 22:51
Do you already have a quality handheld light? If not, I'd at least pick up a Surefire G2 or something along those lines as well. Two is one and one is none, particularly with lights. The X300 is an excellent choice BTW.

Sierra276
11-06-12, 22:51
Crackpantspaintr.
You have a lot of interesting advise posted here, along with peoples ideas...
Hopefully during the upcoming class you may find what you are looking for... Will they challenge you to use a light to find out the advantages of different methods...
A light mounted at 12o'clock will have some distinct advantages... when transitioning... can be manipulated with either hand, will be out and away from a wall, to help reduce splash-back, and if you use an x300 no need for additional mounts, pressure switch's, or added length. A light can be very helpful, yet if not properly trained, a light can become a bullet magnet...
Whatever the training, check to see if your instructor's can validate the training from the opposite perspective... either with video, or force on force with airsoft or Simmunition...

bubba04
11-06-12, 22:59
Mark, how do you have your light configured?

You can get economic and rugged hand held SOLARFORCE LED lights from SBflashlights.com.

Unless you're hung up on buying American ONLY and/or insist on fattening SureFire's bottom line, they're a great value.

I run them on all of my guns. The Vtac mount will work with them, but I use GearSector and Vltor mounts since I dedicate the light to the weapon... and prefer a strong, metal mount.

markm
11-07-12, 06:51
GEARSECTOR mount...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/realsbr.jpg

and the VLTOR mount...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/lite.jpg

robruger
11-07-12, 17:25
I'am sorry but I myself think that behind every light is a dead man . if a light is mounted on a gun and you are aiming it you are in the line of fire. first thing I would do is take out the light. I keep my light in hand away from my body and in the eyes of my target. no lights on my guns

glocktogo
11-08-12, 00:07
I'am sorry but I myself think that behind every light is a dead man . if a light is mounted on a gun and you are aiming it you are in the line of fire. first thing I would do is take out the light. I keep my light in hand away from my body and in the eyes of my target. no lights on my guns

I'd suggest you read more and post less. :D

Voodoo_Man
11-08-12, 00:14
I'd suggest you read more and post less. :D

+1

Every gun I own has a light.

Learning how to run a light on a gun without painting yourself a target is a hard lesson to learn - one better learned in training than in the middle of a shoot out.

markm
11-08-12, 07:11
The short yellow bus dropped one off in this thread. Yippee.

Koshinn
11-08-12, 07:57
thank you for your help.

I am going to try out the Haley Strategic Thorntail 45deg offset rail piece with an SF X300 Ultra.

Should work for my class and i can drop it on my pistol.

Thank you

Does you're surefire x300 lock up tight with your rail or is it the universal one? If it's the universal one, you might not like how it turns out. It's very loose and slides around.

NCPatrolAR
11-08-12, 11:41

There's some validity in this post. If you are doing a slow, deliberate action (think clearing a house due to an alarm) then yes; the light can be a giant target indicator but that's if the light is being used inoperately (light on continuously). If the light is used in an on/off intermittent pattern or the action is fast moving in nature then the chances of using the light as target point are greatly diminished.

A second thing to consider is how easy is it to manipulate a handheld light? If we are talking about use with a handgun then things aren't always that bad. However, if we are trying to use a handheld light with a carbine, shotgun or other long gun then things get very problematic very quick. It's more difficult to use the handheld light with a long gun and most people have an issue with being able to proficiently manipulate the long gun with a single hand.

There's a time and place for the handheld and weapon mounted light. Failure to have both at your disposal is simply limiting your options and making your problem harder to solve

Mr.Anderson
11-09-12, 16:29
I use the light for one thing only;

To blind my opfor.

As for being a bullet magnet... it's hard to shoot straight when you're squinting and cannot see

crackpantspaintr
11-10-12, 16:56
I'm glad this post is useful. Its helping me bc of the lack of light training. This post is good for me and for my future light decision.

I am looking forward to my class and the night time training that I will receive.

It really seems a light mounted on your weapon is important but also a hand held light is also. It also seems like the most important is intermittent light useage until it time to engage.

TriviaMonster
11-16-12, 17:27
Light discipline is some of the most underrated training one can get. Lights will get you killed if you don't know how to use them, but can be an extremely valuable asset and a key factor in winning a battle.

I second a wml plus a backup handheld.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mysteryman
11-21-12, 12:10

To blind my opfor.

As for being a bullet magnet... it's hard to shoot straight when you're squinting and cannot see

There's no guarantee your opponent is directly in front of you, which makes blinding them much more difficult.

MM

sammage
11-21-12, 12:53

To blind my opfor.

:confused:
Something tells me you haven't been in a low light class.

TheGut
11-21-12, 12:55
I did a quick search nothing really popped up I am hoping you guys can help.

Background: I have never really wanted to spend the money for a light but I am signed up for a carbine course that requires I have a light.

Question 1: Do I get the one piece light that mounts on a rail or get a hand held that can be mounted via a mount (wow i know)?

Thought 1: If I have to get one might as well get a nice one and not a throw away just for the class.

Concern 1: Because I have to get this light I was thinking I get one that I can use on my AR during the class and then throw it on my pistol at home because I don't really have the chance to shoot in the dark at a local range, but I had read so much back and forth of whether to have a light on your home defense pistol due to muzzling love ones.

Question 2: Is there a light that can do this dual purpose well?

Question 3: Are light better when they have one purpose? One setup for the AR and one for the pistol?

Concern 2: I would rather not buy multiple lights because as I said earlier Flash lights never really had a purpose in my mind bc I dont shoot at night and I have handheld ones for around the house.

Thanks for your help. Does want some opinions before I spend $200+ on something I wasn't really looking to get.

If you want a do all light. Get a Surefire Fury EAG model in a QD mount. That way you can use it as a hand held or a WML. I personally use that light in a gear sector 6p mount but I prefer a dedicated WML.
Bravo company has the Surefire Fury EAG in stock last time I checked so snatch it up while you can.

TheGut
11-21-12, 13:03
Double post