PDA

View Full Version : Rifle sights: XS 24/7 big dot or standard dot?

Cesiumsponge
11-03-12, 23:27
I've taken delivery of an Ohio State Highway Patrol Remington 870P model trade-in gun and these all come with 20" rifle sighted barrels. I might be replacing it with a 18.5" rifle sight barrel but in either case keeping the rifle sights. I'm thinking of dropping in a set of XS 24/7 sights. The factory rifle sights on this barrel has a very narrow notch and I can't help but feel like it's slow.

I'm curious if anyone out there has either or both the standard and big dot fronts. I've taken the big dots to 50 yards with a handgun and it starts covering a lot of real estate but the sight radius is quite small. We have a much longer sight radius and a shoulder to stabilize the firearm. A long gun places the front sight 14-18" further out than a handgun, which means the same standard dot or big dot on a handgun will cover much less of a target at the end of a shotgun barrel.

Experiences and/or opinions on running the XS system on a rifle sighted shotgun? I'm not going to drill or tap into my OSHP receiver to run ghost rings.

HalliganJoel
11-05-12, 22:48
I'm running the XS Big Dot on my 870P. It's awesome! I decided I wasn't going to put any electronic optics on my pump. The big dot picks up really well.

I know what you're saying about the big dot occluding the sight picture. I used to run a big dot on one of my glocks but switched to 10-8's for that very reason. That being said. It isn't quite the same on the shotgun. Being that much further away from your face makes it not seem as big but its still easy to pick up.

*This post made possible by beer*